Need Help Picking a Beach to Visit before WDW

cindermomma

DIS Veteran
Hi there! Just wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas of what beach me, DH, DS(8) should visit before we get to WDW? :confused3 We thought about Cocoa Beach, or going to Clearwater on the gulf side. Any thoughts? Anyone been to either one and have hotel advice? My DS8 is a very inexperienced swimmer, so I think we are looking for a pretty area to play in with some great sand for building. Thanks!:wizard:

Hi there! Just wanted to ask if anyone has any ideas of what beach me, DH, DS(8) should visit before we get to WDW? :confused3 We thought about Cocoa Beach, or going to Clearwater on the gulf side. Any thoughts? Anyone been to either one and have hotel advice? My DS8 is a very inexperienced swimmer, so I think we are looking for a pretty area to play in with some great sand for building. Thanks!:wizard:

Clearwater. The Gulf surf is much calmer than the Atlantic. And the Gulf beaches are beautiful! Can't help you on the hotel advice--sorry!

CLEARWATER !!!! We went to both and Clearwater is SO much nicer. The water is very calm amd not very deep ( about knee deep ) . We found tons of shells and the sand is so soft it almost reminded me of powdered sugar. Cocoa Beach had 10ft waves the day we were there and the sand is more like ground up shells and kinda hurts. Jmo

Cocoa beach reminded me a lot of the beaches here in NJ (which my kids are used to - they hate the beach unless the waves are totally knocking them down as they body surf).

Thanks so much for the replies!:goodvibes Looks like Clearwater it is! It sounds perfect! I think I would be terrified if the waves were high since he can hardly swim. And the beach sounds perfect for sandcastles...I think that is what he wants to do most (and find sea shells of course!). Thanks again. If anyone knows of any nice hotels that would be great!

Sorry I can't help with the hotels, but there are tons along the strip from Clearwater to St. Pete, we stayed with relatives.

Another thing you may want to consider if you like picking shells is to do the Shell Tour that leaves from John's Pass. It takes you to an uninhabited island and you stay there for a couple of hours (not sure exactly of how long) and pick as many shells as you want. We found lots of sand dollars there too. We also saw dolphins on our way to and from the island. It is a 1/2 day excursion, I believe.

Sorry I can't help with the hotels, but there are tons along the strip from Clearwater to St. Pete, we stayed with relatives.

Another thing you may want to consider if you like picking shells is to do the Shell Tour that leaves from John's Pass. It takes you to an uninhabited island and you stay there for a couple of hours (not sure exactly of how long) and pick as many shells as you want. We found lots of sand dollars there too. We also saw dolphins on our way to and from the island. It is a 1/2 day excursion, I believe.

WOW...that sounds like a blast! I am definately looking into doing this! Is this a private tour? Do you remember who does the tour, or perhaps where it takes us? Thanks for the great tip...we are doing this!

We plan to drive from Nebraska to Florida - arrive May 31 at the beach, then leave June 2 to Disney until June 8. Then back home. It will be me, DH, DS8 and possibly Dnephew(9) is it's possible.:cool1:

Thanks again for all your help! I can't wait to tell my DH about this with the sea shells!:goodvibes

We've also been to both, and I would definitely recommend Clearwater over Cocoa Beach. We stayed at the Hilton on Mandalay Ave which can be pricey depending on the time of year, but the location was fabulous. Check for AAA discounts, special packages, etc. to help with the price. http://www.clearwaterbeachresort.com/
It was right on the beach, had a nice pool, was next to the Pier 60 Park http://www.sunsetsatpier60.com/, and walking distance to shopping, restaurants and the marina.
There's a Pirate Cruise http://www.captmemo.com/ that I heard lots of good things about (both here on the Dis and while in Clearwater) but my son was only about 2 when we were there and we didn't think it would be worth it. It looks like a lot of fun though...if your kids are a little older, they'd probably like it.
Enjoy - wish I was going back there too!

This may be a little out of the way but Destin, FL on the gulf side is great also. There are tons of resorts along the white sandy beaches...and it's a very touristy area if you want to do anything other than the beach. For my kids (DS9 & DD12) a trip to Destin is a close 2nd to a trip to Disney World.

This may be a little out of the way but Destin, FL on the gulf side is great also. There are tons of resorts along the white sandy beaches...and it's a very touristy area if you want to do anything other than the beach. For my kids (DS9 & DD12) a trip to Destin is a close 2nd to a trip to Disney World.

I agree, the gulf coast is a great place to go to the beach, I live in Pensacola and Destin is about an hour from me, it is a great place to visit... Emerald waters and sugar white sands. There are also tons of shopping and dining options there. I don't know if you are planning on driving straight to Disney but Northwest Florida would be a great stopping point. It usually only takes us about 6-7 hours to drive to Orlando. Give it a thought.

Kim

You may want to consider Daytona. It is pretty cool to drive on the beach and (if I recall) it is pretty shallow for quite a ways out. There is also the Daytona 500 track if you are interested in racing. You can get hotels on the beach or more inland. St Augustine beach is also a driveable beach and Downtown St Augustine is really beautiful. You can pay for a "tourist" package for tour tram of the city and places or just walk around. when are you thinking of going? Nights of Lights should be starting in the next week...the whole downtown city is decorated/lighted for the holidays. Be sure to check out Flagler College...a great/pretty peice of FL history (alum 1999).

When I was little we would drive to WDW from NY. We stopped at Daytona a few times before. I've also been to Cocoa now that my boyfriend goes to school in Orlando. Check out Daytona.

We didn't make reservations for the Shell Cruise. Here is the website for John's Pass where it leaves out of: http://www.johnspass.com/ There is a lot of good information on here about the area in general. John's Pass has a lot of fun touristy shopping stuff also.

Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter