Need HELP on renting a car for a week in orlando!!!

MimiKay

Mouseketeer
I am going to orange lake resort for 1 week. I need to rent a car from Monday to Sat... I cannot believe how expensive it is!! HERTZ in onsite at orange lake.. Is there a trick to getting a good rate!? It's gonna cost me $500 for a cheap, little bitty car! I never rent cars and dont know if this is a normal price or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! :confused:

I dont' know when you are going, but I've always gotten the best deals about 3-4 weeks out. I can usually get a intermediate for about $120 a week, Sat through Sat at MCO.

Two recommendations:

Ask on the Transportation Board for lots of expert advice.

Go to Mousesavers.com for lists of all the current discount codes.

You basically need to book (don't pay anything) and keep checking, cancel and rebook, keep checking, cancel & rebook, repeat. Sometimes I have 4-5 reservations prior to my trip dates. You should get lower rates closer to your trip as the PP said.

I went through Alamo. If you go to their website and join there club (free) you get a 10% discount plus they have other specials like 35 dollars off a week. A great thing with them (and other car rentals) is you can book now with no payment but lock in your price. Then if they change their prices (which they always do) you can change your reservation to the cheaper price with no penalty. We are going in December for 2 weeks and it was going to cost us over 800 for a full size (booked through southwest). After joining Alamo insiders and rebooking a couple of times we are now paying 195. It pays to check the prices a couple times a week. They also have a deal that if you prepay you can get another discount which I would not do unless you are leaving in the next week or so as there is a cancellation fee. I hope this helps and that you can get a cheaper deal.

Try Budget car. Their prepay is a good deal and there are coupons out there. You mentioned orange lake. If you're an RCI member they have good codes in their magazines. Funny but I am staying at orange lake next week, from mon. to sat. Our rate is $200 for an intermediate with the RCI discount and the coupon will take another $25 off at the end of the trip. We had to pay a little extra because we are flying into Orlando and flying out of Jacksonville. I have been looking daily and couldn't find a better deal anywhere.

what about the extra insurance???

If you have full coverage auto insurance, you don't need to purchase the extra insurance.

Just book and keep checking, rebook, etc. You'll see cheaper rates as you get closer to your trip.

The transportation board was a huge help for our 1st car rental. I found the October car rental thread and stalked it daily! I was able to go from a start of $312, to $232, to $117.29 2 weeks before we traveled. This was with Alamo.

thank you soooo much for posting this question...my hubby handled this part last year...i had NO input at all in it...but this year I am SOOOO stalking! Thank you all!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter