Need help! Keep getting the same computer virus.

:headache: I had that Virus the other day (I think I got it here on the DIS, to be honest, that's where I was when my computer went nuts on me).

My husband removed the virus by reading the suggestions here:
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=101407

But don't ask me anything about it, because I have NO IDEA. He removed .exe files and eventually he managed to get rid of it. Then we put in a new Antivirus program, ran it and everything was clear.

I was on the Dis Sunday afternoon when my computer went nuts, too. But I'm thinking it was "time released". I was having a few issues before that. Internet Explorer would stop working & I would get a warning about a malfunctioning/ dangerous site. Sunday I got a notice from McAfee that said it detected a Trojan & it was now fixed; no action needed. Immediately after that, my computer was taken over.

The "Geek" at Best Buy knew the problem immediately as soon as I said "Win 7". I had gotten a pop up telling me I had a virus & it needed to be fixed. "Put your credit card info here..." DH told me to go ahead & do it, but there was NO way I was doing that. Guy at Best Buy was very happy to hear I didn't enter any credit card info.

The "Geek" at Best Buy knew the problem immediately as soon as I said "Win 7". I had gotten a pop up telling me I had a virus & it needed to be fixed. "Put your credit card info here..." DH told me to go ahead & do it, but there was NO way I was doing that. Guy at Best Buy was very happy to hear I didn't enter any credit card info.

Same here. DH says that the "enter your credit card info here" is the whole purpose of the virus, to steal your credit card info with a keylogger. :headache:

A little while before the thing popped up telling me I had the virus, my screen was flickering and jittery like it was trying to refresh really quickly. I don't know if that had something to do with the virus or not. It hasn't done that since, so I'm inclined to think it did.

I've got Norton installed now, and all seems well, so I've got my fingers crossed that we actually solved it. Kind of too bad, I thought that maybe I'd be getting a new laptop for Christmas because of this :rolleyes1

My wife's computer seems especially susceptible to malware viruses. She had Win 7 Security a month or two ago. Usually I can read and install a fix, but for Win 7 Security I could not. I would up taking it to a guy we know who wiped her memory. The problem now is that the re-install doesn't seem to be working because evidently something has corrupted the boot manager.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am thisclose to just buying DW a new notebook computer and hoping it doesn't get infected with the same dang thing.

I have uttered many curses against the makers of Win 7 Security. :mad:

My desktop picked it up yesterday. DH has been wrestling it to the ground since then. McAfee told me I had a trojan attack, no action was necessary & then the Win 7 security party started. He was working through the clean-up & restore for several hours, but finally the virus completely overwrote the reboot manager portion of the harddrive. He's got it partitioned off at this point & last I know had one clean partition, but isn't 100-percent certain it's coming back healthy.

I think I'm logging out of the DIS for now because others here are experiencing the same thing & we have no idea where I picked it up from. During the restore he did say the virus kept shutting down my firewall also.

My desktop picked it up yesterday. DH has been wrestling it to the ground since then. McAfee told me I had a trojan attack, no action was necessary & then the Win 7 security party started. He was working through the clean-up & restore for several hours, but finally the virus completely overwrote the reboot manager portion of the harddrive. He's got it partitioned off at this point & last I know had one clean partition, but isn't 100-percent certain it's coming back healthy.

I think I'm logging out of the DIS for now because others here are experiencing the same thing & we have no idea where I picked it up from. During the restore he did say the virus kept shutting down my firewall also.

I was thinking I picked it up here too, and to hear others think the same thing it makes me a little nervous.

Me too! My IE was being wierd and just popping off then on and then the security thing came up telling me I had lots of trojans, computer at risk, click her. By the time I tried to fix it, I could no longer get into my internet. My 900 laptop that I am making payments on is at my son's probably being wiped clean as I type this.
it's possible we all clicked on a link here.

I am of the opinion that if the company / service was that bad & incompetent, they would not still be in business.
If you read online reviews, you would see a lot more complaints.

You can stay alive as an incompetent business if you throw around enough money and simply count on people not paying any attention or researching before they buy.

If you read online reviews, you would see a lot more complaints.

You can stay alive as an incompetent business if you throw around enough money and simply count on people not paying any attention or researching before they buy.

The big thing with Best Buy Geek Squad is you need NO knowledge in computers to get hired on by them. Their "training" is just about worthless as well. Honestly, you can learn more from reading the internet then they teach their Geek Squad members.

How do I know? I had a close friend who was hired by them (one of the few who DID know what they were doing). So, I heard a lot of horror stories and inside information.

This one showed up for me on Monday. My husband thought he fixed it by restoring but it was back again last night. My bil (IT guy) gave us a disc he made last week when he had it. It ran the malwarebytes that someone else was talking about and has been good so far.

it happened twice to me (both times I was on this site)this week. I did system restore as I couldn't run Webroot to check for viruses. The first time there was something located in my documents that I didn't save ( and it wouldn't let me delete it )and the time stamp was the same time my computer had the win 7 popup. It went away after the system restore (which isn't supposed to change your documents, just the hard drive.

Anyway - the computer is working well now

I have used Trend Micro for the last 12 years and have never had a virus ONE TIME. Go to trendmicro.com and you can download it from the internet.

I've had the "windows security virus" twice now. :headache:It's infuriating, I have the full AVG protection, and still got it. I watched all these tutorials on youtube on how to get rid of it, and did everything they said and still no good. I eventually had to get a professional to get rid of it....twice.

it happened twice to me (both times I was on this site)this week. I did system restore as I couldn't run Webroot to check for viruses. The first time there was something located in my documents that I didn't save ( and it wouldn't let me delete it )and the time stamp was the same time my computer had the win 7 popup. It went away after the system restore (which isn't supposed to change your documents, just the hard drive.

Anyway - the computer is working well now

I logged on here yesterday and all of a sudden the screen flashed and the win7 popup came up. Took me about an hour to get rid of the darn thing by following directions on bleepingcomputer.com. I had to load files onto a zipdrive and install them onto my computer to do something to the registry because the stupid win7 virus wouldn't let me go to any webpages so I was sitting there with 2 laptops moving files from one to the other....
I owuld also never use bestbuy to fix anything with a computer- they are the WORST!

System restore is usually your best bet. Restore it to one day before and make sure you internet security is up to date. AVG is excellent.

Malewarebytes is also very good.

I was thinking I picked it up here too, and to hear others think the same thing it makes me a little nervous.

Me too! My IE was being wierd and just popping off then on and then the security thing came up telling me I had lots of trojans, computer at risk, click her. By the time I tried to fix it, I could no longer get into my internet. My 900 laptop that I am making payments on is at my son's probably being wiped clean as I type this.
it's possible we all clicked on a link here.

FWIW, I can say that DW did not pick up Win 7 here because she is not a DISer. (Doesn't know what she's missing! :rotfl:)

I have used Trend Micro for the last 12 years and have never had a virus ONE TIME. Go to trendmicro.com and you can download it from the internet.

I put Trend Micro on DD's notebook computer and our "3rd string" notebook that DW is using now. It is doing a good job for both so far.
Funny thing, I use McAfee and have never had an issue on my computer. :confused3

System restore is usually your best bet. Restore it to one day before and make sure you internet security is up to date. AVG is excellent.

Malewarebytes is also very good.

:headache: we thought we had the virus taken care of, but today i got more notices of infections...Norton found more viruses and apparently fixed them, but my computer wouldn't reboot and i had to do a system restore, but that doesnt seem to have helped either. It looks like I'll be getting a new laptop for Christmas. :sad2:

First I want to say I know nothing about computers. I keep getting the same Win 7 Security 2012 virus. It takes over my entire computer, even my Mcafee. I can't get it to stop coming back. It doesn't allow me access to the interet once it takes my computer hostage. The only way I can get rid of it (which may be damaging my computer?????) is do a system restore.

In the past 5 days I have probably restored my computer 10x's. I don't know how to get it to stop coming. Obviously Mcafee is worthless, is there any other virus protection that I can get that will keep this away? I've installed malewarebytes but once the virus attacks it takes that hostage to.

Is anyone else dealing with this? Or has anyone successfully removed this virus from their computer? :confused:

I got this same virus yesterday. Since I have Win XP, it was called XP Internet Security 2012. But, according to the websites I looked at, it's a name changing virus. It just knows how to attach attach itself using a name that goes with your own operating system. It's all pretty much the same virus.

The websites that finally helped me get rid of this virus is BleepingComputer. It is one of the BEST sites for people with computer virus/malware, etc. They really do know their stuff and if people need diagnostics, they ask you to post specific info like what's in your registry, etc, right off your computer and logs from scans they make you do. Then, if necessary, they will individually work with you.

However, your virus is able to be killed without their help. BUT it DOES require you to follow FOUR steps and in ORDER to get rid of the virus.

I had to do this 3 times, before it finally, successfully killed ALL the virus. This virus is pernicious. It will try to kill the antivirus steps you use, if it gets a chance. So you HAVE to do all the FOUR steps AND in order. You don't get to pick and choose which steps you want to do. You may also have to download different versions of RKILL before it can finally defeat the virus. I downloaded all 7 of the versions of RKILL, but only needed 3 of them.

Someone else mentioned Malwarebytes. Yes, it usually is my Go To for antivirus purging. BUT this virus knows how to DEACTIVATE Malwarebytes, so you must run other three steps FIRST.

Each time, I followed ALL the steps, it got rid of SOME of the virus. But, it would keep replicating parts of itself - as that's what it does. Finally the last time going through all of the steps, with a different version of RKILL each time, I knew I had gotten it all, as all FOUR steps, (plus an extra step I threw in form another website,) came back all clear.

Here is the site directions for bleeping computer and this virus:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012

BTW, I have AVG. It couldn't stop the virus. It alerted me that I had something. Tried to delete it, but the virus shut down AVG before it could do enough. Even running my computer in Safe Mode wile performing the AVG scan wasn't enough.

YOU HAVE TO RUN ALL FOUR STEPS IN ORDER TO KILL THIS VIRUS. you do not have enough computer knowledge to go picking & choosing which steps to do. If you are not going to do that, if you think you can just do some steps, or pick and choose which ones you want to do, don't bother trying to get rid of it. You will just be wasting time. I skimmed this thread and most of the people gave a step or two, but not the WHOLE procedure.

I once gave out similar info here and that person didn't do all the steps, nor in order. (I guess i was just writing out all the info for myself. :rolleyes: ) Finally 2 days later, she decided to do it as I had writtem. Finally, she got rid of the virus. Duh! :rolleyes:

To get into Safe Mode, right at the start of rebooting, continually press f8 until it brings you to a screen to allow you to boot into Safe Mode with Networking. Then go through all the steps.

I logged on here yesterday and all of a sudden the screen flashed and the win7 popup came up. Took me about an hour to get rid of the darn thing by following directions on bleepingcomputer.com. I had to load files onto a zipdrive and install them onto my computer to do something to the registry because the stupid win7 virus wouldn't let me go to any webpages so I was sitting there with 2 laptops moving files from one to the other....
I owuld also never use bestbuy to fix anything with a computer- they are the WORST!

Yep! These were the steps I followed at bleepingcomputer.com, which I listed the link above. The FIRST step is to install a registry file which THEY created just to stop this particular virus. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 I downloaded all the files to a flash drive and then installed them to the computer with the virus.

This is a common misconception. Most viruses that spread via e-mail come from people you know (or are engineered to look like they are from people you know).

Don't click on banner ads. Don't click on links in e-mails. Don't click on "GREAT DEALS CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK HERE OMG" ads. Don't forward stupid chain letters, regardless of how cute the pictures of dogs wearing funny hats are. And tell everyone who forwards you chain e-mails with pictures of dogs in funny hats to STOP.

Actually, don't forward ANYTHING at all. E-mail forwarders are the scourge of humanity. </hyperbole>

It is not just emails in which you can get a virus. I opened NO strange emails, downloaded anything from anyone in the last several WEEKS. Some WEBSITES malicious insert coding into their sites.

A year or so ago, I had clicked on a website I visit regularly. Overnite, they had been hacked and a malicious code had been embedded. Firedancer, had actually given me certain programs & suggestions to install a few weeks earlier, that would make my computer safer. When I clicked on the site, I noticed right away, that it was trying to download a PDF file (a favorite way for viruses.)

The Foxit reader, which has an automatic virus scanner stopped the PDF file from loading. Also, my AVG alerted me that something was trying to load and stopped the rest of the virus.

Dozens of people who visited the site that day got hit with a bad virus and had to bring their PCs in for repair. Others, who had logged in with their work PC, had to explain to the IT department that they were visiting a private site during work hours and got a virus. :headache:

Anyway, last nite, I was on Pinterest, surfing websites, right before my AVG alerted me it picked up something, and then preceded to completely shut down as the virus killed it.

I just happened to look up at the computer screen and the web linked I had clicked on through Pinterest even was called Hatefulsomething.com. . . :headache: Talk about advertizing itself. I wouldn't have normally clicked on the link. :headache:

I also hadn't reinstalled the NoScript Firefox add-on, which stops certain scripts from automatically loading on webpages. I'm pretty sure that's where I got the security virus from. just visiting the site through a link.

Now, I am more careful to check the web names of links I click on. Although I know that isn't necessarily going to help all the time. :surfweb:

I had a nasty virus/trojan a few months ago. It was awful. I couldn't go to websites, I couldn't open files or see my pics.

I tried AVI and another sweep and none of them could find it and get rid of it.

Then I downloaded Avast! based on research I did about this virus. It was able to find it and get rid of it. Yeah!

I've had it on my computer ever since and twice now I tried to click on a video in Facebook and Avast stopped me and told me it was infected with a trojan virus.

Try it.

So far it looks like DH has resurrected my machine, but we'll wait and see. From now on my surfing will all be virtual, no hardware interfacing with the net at all anymore. If the virtual interface dies, just set up a new virtual interface & the virus never gets into my machine at all.

Every time I read one of these threads I go run my malware and anti virus just in case. This one sounds especially nasty!! Like a PP, I have Avast and have been using it for years and have NEVER had any problems with viruses. (Keeping fingers crossed that I didnt just jinx myself!!) It has caught some and warned me as soon as I clicked on something but stopped them all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter