Need help--how many days?

cnjmom

Mouseketeer
We are just starting the planning process and while I did a few searches, I think it might be better for me to describe our trip parameters and let the experts help with my question of "how many days" to devote to the three parks.

We are traveling by car to Florida for a family reunion in mid-July. There is some flexibility with the number of days and when we arrive at Universal (which will be just for my immediate family and not the extended family). Immediate family= me, DH, DD (14), DS1 (11) and DS2 (9). DH and the kids love coasters/thrill rides and will ride anything and everything--we have season passes to Six Flags and have visited a few of the different Six Flags parks, we've been to Cedar Point and Hershey Park and they rode everything, etc. I am more 'selective' (e.g. chicken:upsidedow) but am fine with them doing what they want, which includes Volcano Bay for at least one day or part of several days.

We have been to WDW twice and Sea World once in the past 8 years (three separate trips) and don't plan on coming back to Universal anytime soon, so we want to make sure we make the most of our time while we are visiting. In my early research, I've already decided that it is probably easiest and less costly to stay onsite so we'll get early entry and the express passes included (probably Royal Pacific Resort). We'll probably also get the park to park tickets so we have flexibility to move around. We haven't gotten the park hoppers at Disney, but it sound like everything at Universal is a lot closer and easier to hop than for Disney.

I know this will be a travesty to some, but we aren't Harry Potter devotees. :P Still, though, I know we'll want to check out the rides/buildings/butterbeer, etc.

So, with that all said, how many days would you devote to the entire Universal stay/how many days of tickets would you purchase? My thought is that we won't likely arrive at Universal until midday, so it's likely that we'll just settle in and check out the pool, maybe City Walk, etc. on the first day. I suppose if we have enough time that first day, we could visit the parks (but I don't want to "waste" a day's ticket)--the first day will be sometime either Tuesday or probably Wednesday, not a weekend. I just am not sure if we need 3, 4 or 5 days, given the crowds, heat, likelihood that we'll go back to the hotel to swim/relax midday in July, knowledge that the kids/DH will likely want to ride everything, etc. I'm mainly vacillating between 4 and 5 days of tickets. The last day of Universal, we'd check out of the hotel that morning, go to a park and then stay offsite/perhaps start our drive home.

I guess I'm just asking, what would you do for ticket purchase, with those parameters?

Thanks.

If I planned to do the darkside mid July, first thing I would do is book soon as possible

It’s crowded and hot mid July

But you are already aware of that

Check the website for black out dates for the lower ap costs

You can read on the website what ticket prices are for p2p tickets

Probably 4 days for the park would be sufficient
Stay onsite at the 3 main hotels and your ep is valid for check out day, which could be your 4th Park day
You can also use the early entry on check out day

It is hot in July and if you start your park days at early entry, could get a lot down where you could take in pool time at the hotels

Pool hopping is allowed

Stay more save more rates either require a 3 or 4 night stay
Depends on the season and your dates
Ap rates have not been released yet

You can always modify your room rate after you have booked

Since you want to do 3 parks, suggest you aim for a 4 night stay and do a 5th Park day
It will be hot and having partial breaks from the heat might be a good thing

I’m not a potter fan but do hit that area for the rides and eateries
It is enjoyable and worth it!

Check out park ticket prices at UT
Sometimes they have sales that beat UO prices

Vbay can easily be an all day event

City walk eateries would be a nice way to mix up a Park day for lunch or early dinner

Thank you for your reply.

There really isn't a lot of difference in the ticket prices between 3 and 5 days (only $100 total increase for the five of us from 3 to 5 days) for the park to park tickets, so I'm not worried about that. I'm trying to figure out the number of days so we can see everything we want and not pay for nights we don't need onsite.

That is good to know about the room rate being adjustable. Do you know if that is only through the UO site, or would UT allow that?

I am thinking the same thing--5 park days. I can't figure out how to not stay for five nights though, unless we use the arrival day as one of the park days, which I don't know if it would be worth it to do--mid-July, crowds, etc. might make this wasteful. If we were able to do that, it would be four nights. Would 4.5 days be sufficient? I know another option is to stay offsite the first night. Get up early and check into Royal Pacific Resort just to get the express passes and start our day. Just not sure if I'd be able to get my crew over there early enough, and it sounds like we all need to be there to get our photos taken.

I figured VBay could be an all day event, or maybe we do it in parts, to break up the hotter days at the dry parks.

Vbay is an all day park
Check out renting a cabana for your day there
For the summer months hit that early
If you go late afternoon, it could be packed

I stay regularly in the fall and stay onsite for about two weeks
(Other dates in the year I stay five nights)
I go solo and don’t have a schedule as I plan my day when I wake up

My fall stay is during hhn time period and some days have crowds
I have the hotel ep besides a long stay onsite

I have gone once in July before and find crowds and heat are manageable if I have at least a 5 day stay

If you have the hotel ep for July stay, the first day you are there do the partial park day

For me I would rather check in and be situated on a partial day then to stay offsite and check in early the next morning

Hotel check in is at 4 pm
If a ready when you arrive that is great
But many times in a busy season you have to wait for your room

Book with the hotel on the Loews website or uo website
Easier to modify the room rate when you hold the reservation and not a 3rd party

Check out prices for park tickets at UT as sometimes they offer great deals
Compare what a 5 day p2p pass is compared to the lower price 3 Park ap

See which is to your advantage money wise
Also, check out ap blockage dates if you do the power ap or seasonal ap

I have the preferred ap and not current in the other lower priced ap’s

Great advice above......

You also don’t need to worry about getting pictures taken at the hotel........room keys are issued for every person registered in the room and that’s your EP now.........

You folks are terrific.

Macraven--I have a feeling that DH is going to say the same thing about being situated and not want to fool with moving from a different hotel for just one night. We'll have to see what the plan is with the extended family to see if we can get there earlier than I am thinking. We're staying about an hour away from Universal for that part of the trip, so it might be possible to get my crew moving earlier than I am thinking that first day. Even though we'd lose the early entry, the parks will likely be open later in July and we'd probably be OK...Thank you for the advice on where to book as well. I prefer to control our reservations anyway. I didn't really consider the annual pass, but it might be worthwhile...I'm thinking that the hotel savings and the discount on the tickets for everyone else might offset the price of the pass...although Volcano Bay is blacked out for our dates with most of the annual passes, so paying for two days of that for the AP holder might wind up being a wash, unless there is some sort of spectacular AP holder rate on hotels. Do you know when they normally release the hotel rates for AP holders for the summer?

Schumigirl--thanks for that bit of information. Does everyone need to be present to get the keys handed to them?

Bchbetha--That's what we will likely do. Just a question of how to wrangle it so it's only four hotel nights, not five.

Seasonal AP is blocked out for your time period

Power AP:

Power Annual Passholders are blocked out on the following dates:

Universal Studios Florida™

Dec. 21-31, 2017
Jan. 1-3, 2018
Mar. 23, 2018*
Mar. 24-25, 2018*
Mar. 26-31, 2018
Mar. 23-31, 2018
Apr. 1-7, 2018
Dec. 22-31, 2018

*Power Annual Passholders are blocked out of Universal Studios Florida™ until 5pm on these Mardi Gras concert dates.

Universal's Islands of Adventure™

Dec. 21-31, 2017
Jan. 1-3, 2018
Mar. 23-31, 2018
Apr. 1-7, 2018
Dec. 22-31, 2018

Universal's Volcano Bay™

Jul. 1-31, 2018

Please note, Volcano Bay™ blockout dates apply to 3-Park Passes only.

Preferred AP:
Universal Studios Florida™
There are no blockout dates at Universal Studios™ for Preferred Annual Passholders.

Universal’s Islands of Adventure™
There are no blockout dates at Universal’s Island of Adventure™ for Preferred Annual Passholders.

Universal’s Volcano Bay™

Jul. 1-31, 2018

Please note, Volcano Bay™ blockout dates apply to 3-Park

Tickets from UO:

Terms And ConditionsEXPLORE TICKETS
Single-Day Tickets
For a family experience of epic proportions in a single day, visit Universal Studios Florida™, Universal's Islands of Adventure™ or Universal’s Volcano Bay™ theme parks with either Park-to-Park Ticket or 3-Park Ticket.

PARK-TO-PARK, STARTING FROM$165.00*PER DAY
(1-DAY TICKET)

1-PARK, STARTING FROM$110.00*PER DAY
(1-DAY TICKET)

* Applicable sales tax will be added to all ticket products.

Terms And ConditionsEXPLORE TICKETS
Universal's Volcano Bay™
Universal Orlando Resort's water theme park is a tropical paradise with amazing thrills, relaxing indulgence and no standing in long lines.

1-DAY VOLCANO BAY™ TICKET$67.00

*Applicable sales tax will be added to all ticket products.

Terms And ConditonsEXPLORE TICKETS

OP
Check UT site for their ticket prices

Thank you! I went and looked and did some calculations, and the Power Pass would be the one we'd look at, based on our dates. Having to tack on at least one day's worth of Volcano Bay tickets for the AP holder if we go that route lessens some of the appeal. DH and I need to talk and flesh out our plans a bit more, and then wait and see if AP rates in the hotels make it worth it.

Once you have picked out the dates for your onsite stay at UO, everything may fall more into place.

You'll have an idea of how many days available for the parks/ Vbay, and be able to run the numbers to see which would be better, AP or P2P tickets

Don't wait until March to book a room.
Prices tend to increase once rooms start to fill.

Macraven--I would like to book our room within the next few days. I know that July is busy so we don't have the luxury of waiting it out. In any case, the P2P will give us the option of doing Volcano Bay more than 1 or 2 days since we'll have to buy separate tickets for that for the AP holder, so that might be the deciding factor if the costs are similar. I did a room only versus room + tickets package on UO website and the package is better since the room price is lower with the package. I priced the same room + tickets out on UT and it's $200 less than the package on UO, all things being equal. It's tempting to want to save the $200, but I worry about having less control over the room reservation with the third party.

I’ve only have done a package a couple of times when my son came with me

But it was a good deal at the time

Usually I come out ahead doing the ap or smsm room rate

Packages require you to pay a certain amount down and prepare the rest prior trip your arrival
To cancel a package, it must be done by xx days prior to check in

If you go with a package, read the policy that applies to making changes
Charges can occur on some changes you make in the reservation

Booking room only has you pay a one night deposit and the remainder there by checkout time
You can cancel room only in advance with no penalty

Smsm
Stay more save more is a general public code for discounted room rates
Depending on the dates, it requires a 3 or 4 night booking

And discount % off varies per season

I go at least once each year with the 35% smsm discount and the rest of my stays during the year I use the ap room rate

You could book room only now to secure your room
You can modify it later for room discounts

If you decide after you book room only, you can cancel it if you decide to go with a package

But I would not wait until April or May to do that

Some families can’t get vacation time guaranteed until 6 months out and book once they have it known, they book rooms

OP, just noticed this new special on the UO website

2-PARK – 4-DAY TICKET

Universal Studios + Islands of Adventure
Park to Park

Visit all listed parks any time, each day.Get Details

$284.99per adult
( $274.99 per child)
hogwartsImage_tcm66-29420.png
Ride the Hogwarts™ Express between Hogsmeade™ Station and King’s Cross Station with a Park-to-Park ticket.
One Park Per Day
Visit any one park of your choice.Get Details

$229.99per adult
( $219.99 per child)
orangeBanner_tcm66-22930.png

$82 PER DAY

3-PARK – 4-DAY TICKET

Universal Studios + Islands of Adventure + Volcano Bay
Park to Park

Visit all listed parks any time, each day.Get Details

$324.99per adult
( $314.99 per child)
hogwartsImage_tcm66-29420.png
Ride the Hogwarts™ Express between Hogsmeade™ Station and King’s Cross Station with a Park-to-Park ticket.
One Park Per Day
Visit any one park of your choice.Get Details

$269.99per adult
( $259.99 per child)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter