• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help! Going with kids and I am losing my mind!

MickeyNicki

It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out a
Please help me out...I have dinner ressies at 1900 PF, Fulton's, Tony's and Coral Reef and I sent some pics to my sister of the kids meals (thanks to other Disers for posting) and she said the food looked gross and I should take them to McDonalds every night for dinner instead. Well no way in heck are we going to drive off site every night just so they can eat. How can french fries and grilled chicken look gross????

So I am pretty steamed and I dont know what to do...I mean there is pizza and chicken strips at all of these places so I know they will eat that but I am wondering if I should cancel all of these places in lieu of CS places (which they will get the same stinking thing anyways) or do I feed them before our dinner ressie and have them sit there while DH and I eat.

DH def wants a sit down meal every night because that is the one thing he looks forward to.

So what would you do? The older girl has ADHD and the meds she is on take away her appetite anyways. The little one takes two bites and is done. Do you think I will be ok keeping these ressies??

I would at least try it. My daughter is very picky and she still loves Jiko, California Grill, Artist's Point, Narcoossee's, etc. She likes a fancy drink and the servers treating her like a grown-up. Places like 1900 PF will have lots going on to keep them occupied and most kids like buffets no matter what. Coral Reef--aquarium--nuff said.

Hopefully they'll take their cues from you that this is something you really enjoy when you go to Disney and they won't want to put a damper on it. Plus, they'll probably be tired from trudging the parks and ready for a break. But I would give it a try.

Are you going with your sister and her kids and she only feels this way? Your family is fine with the dining arraignments? Then the solution (at least for me) is simple. Just knock them off any dining reservations you have and let them eat on their own.

I'm not a foodie and neither is my husband and off site/counter service works for us 99% of the time. But we also understand the dining issues with Disney World. If your sister doesn't, make it her problem, not yours.

Whose kids are these? If they're your sisters and she wants to feed them McDonald's every night, let her. LOL! Tell her you and your DH will be eating elsewhere. Pretty much what the previous poster said.

If they will eat with you, I'd say keep what you have and let them try what they like. If they can't find anything they like on the menu, they can eat Pop Tarts or whatever their mom gives them when they get back to their hotel. I think it's good for kids to try new foods and experiences.

When I grew up, we had to eat what we were served at home, but if we went out to a "fancy" (sit-down, have menus and a wait staff) place, we didn't have to eat everything if we didn't like it, so it worked out fine and my parents never had screaming whiny kids in public. LOL! It also worked on my kids. So I vote for doing it that way and assuring the kids that there is nothing to lose in trying a new experience.

Have a great time!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)

I believe she's taking the kids as a Christmas gift and the mom will not be with them. Maybe Mom is concerned about the cost if they don't eat--that they're wasting your money? But, if I was mom, I would definitely be having the Come to Jesus meeting with my kids before they went.

My 5 year old did not really touch her food at all on the kids menus. She ate very little during the week, and mainly subsisted on Mickey ice cream bars, cotton candy and Goofy candy. We gave her a specially cooked meal we made each morning and bought some of her favorite foods and snacks to try to make sure she had something she liked available to her every day. Plus having their vitamins helped. The childrens' menus pretty much are McDonald's types of foods, so it's not really a decrease in quality, it's just similar to most kids' menus. A lot of children do like the simpler foods anyway so exotic foods are just wasted on them. Sit downs are ambience as much for the parents as for the kids, some of these places the kids may like for the entertainment value. If they are her kids, then she probably should have some say in some of the meals, or at least figure out what she would want to do as an alternative for nutrition. The kids might like the meals, hard to say.

DH and I are taking the kids, my sister is not going. When I have the kids they like pizza, chicken nuggets and apple jacks :rotfl:

I guess I will just keep the ressies and if they eat they eat and if they dont oh well...

Not having kids myself I am a bit stuck on how to handle this one :lmao:

My DD3 is a pickey eater and DOWNED the chicken nuggets/fingers at WDW!!! They are white meat and the ones I tasted were tender. The only thing the didn't like after tasting was the Mac n cheese. There is pizza at some places too. I ordered a calzone for dd and DS5 at Tonys. Well, DS threw a fit when it came because he wanted pizza...the very nice server changed his order in a flash (we woun't have allowed it...it was kinda a conversation between him and her, Christmas day and he asked her nicely). DD ate up the calzone though!
Children can eat off the adult selections from the buffets also. 1900 PF was great with the character interaction too!!! Possible our favorite meal.
Coral Reef was great for the adults. I'm not sure what the kids had, but it was something kid friendly...either pizza or chicken.
CIMG1316.jpg

Tonys. Children's calzone. Really we don't let her eat like this.:lmao:
CIMG1794.jpg

1900 PF. Ice cream from the dessert bar...after she finished her meal.
CIMG1795.jpg

And if they don't eat....:rotfl:
CIMG1582.jpg

Coral Reef. There is always bread.
Man, it looks like she has bad eating habits!

You could have your sister look over the menus with the girls to see if they see something they'll like. Tell her not to make Mickey D's or CS an option. If they absolutely hate everything on the menu @ your chosen restaurants, maybe you guys could choose a replacement together. Your sister's attitude toward your chosen, sitdown restaurants will most likely make an impact on how the girls perceive them. Remind her of that. ;) Let them know they don't have to eat everything on their plate. They'll be more likely to try something new. The one thing I wouldn't do is feed them 1st, then have them sit through your meal. I'm always surprised when someone says they plan to do that. Keep in mind that most kids are more receptive to things, when they're not with their parents. Don't worry about it! You're doing a nice thing. I'm sure you'll all have a great trip. :hug:

Man, you're all nicer than I would be if I was taking a relative's kids to WDW and they had the nerve to complain about the food!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it.

I dont understand why my sister is being a huge pain, I mean I figured if the girls are hungry they would eat and if they dont they wont. Why she has to dis the places I picked I have no idea and why she is starting this a week before we leave when I have had the plans down for 6 months is beyond me!

Do they have a service fee for people that go to a TS but dont eat? Not at a character meal but at the other places?

I am trying to remember what they ate the last time we took them, that was 3 years ago and we stayed at the POR...they didnt eat much then either so we did just CS dinners at our resort and that worked out much easier. I remember they ate hardly anything at Chef Mickeys.

Appreciate the tip about not feeding them before a dinner ressie. I will simply tell them they do not have to eat but they do have to sit there with us...that is why I tried to pick fun places. DH is telling me to not give them dessert unless they eat dinner....oh man I can see the tantrum coming from a mile away. Another MAN suggestion is to bribe them with a gift shop purchase if they eat...like $5 or something...

Not being a mom is it wrong to do those two things?? :rolleyes1

I feel your pain! My dd (11) is not only a somewhat picky eater, but also a very small eater. I pay for her as an adult on the DDP but we actually let her order off the kids menu and use her ts credits for character breakfasts. Of course for buffets we have to use an adult ts credit

We always do at least one ts meal per day. I have just resigned myself that most of the time the kids will still be eating chicken strips, pizza or macaroni and cheese. They do however love the steak at LeCellier.

The one restaurant that both the kids and DH and I have repeatedly been disappointed in is Tony's. I would switch that one with something else - maybe Ohana. They'll give the kids different kids meals, but they can still eat whatever they want from the food brought to the table.

HTH.

Could you sister be a little jealous that she isn't going???:rolleyes1

As far as no dessert goes...my DMIL has said since my children began eating, "A belly full is a belly full." Not that I necessarily agree, but on some days my DMIL is right...did I just say my DMIL is right :scared1:

It is positive reinforcement if you offer a "bride" before the action/even and a bride if it is offered during/to get them to do the action/event.;) :lmao: So if you say ok after you eat ___ of you dinner &sit nicely for us to finish our we can go/do/buy ____. OK, so I don't know if that is the case, but that's how we justify it...BUT we do use bribes too.:rotfl2:

I would keep the reservations you have and I would NOT reward them with a $5 gift shop purchase but I might consider something like a 51 cent pressed penny.

I don't recall reading how old the girls were. I have found that the one page activity sheet/child's menu doesn't hold my youngest child's interest too long as it requires reading so I do have coloring pages that I bring for her (and her siblings) and that works out well. You can find lots of coloring pages on the internet and I just saved them onto my PC and printed them on 5x8 index cards. The cards worked well because they enjoyed sorting through them. That kept them entertained (quiet ;) ) for a while before they even began coloring. I know you don't have a lot of time before your trip so I'm sure a coloring book (they have a few Disney ones in the resort gift shops but my local dollar store has some Disney ones too) would work well for you too. I didn't take out the coloring cards til they finished eating. This would keep them busy while DH & I finished eating.

I'm sure you'll all have a very magical trip! Where are you staying?

Appreciate the tip about not feeding them before a dinner ressie. I will simply tell them they do not have to eat but they do have to sit there with us...that is why I tried to pick fun places. DH is telling me to not give them dessert unless they eat dinner....oh man I can see the tantrum coming from a mile away. Another MAN suggestion is to bribe them with a gift shop purchase if they eat...like $5 or something...

Not being a mom is it wrong to do those two things?? :rolleyes1

I'd look at it this way -- they're on vacation too! I really wouldn't sweat it -- let them eat what they want or not. And I wouldn't hold back dessert -- you're the aunt, not the parent - let them have fun. I wouldn't do any gift shop bribing.

I agree, though, that I wouldn't let them eat before hand, and with my own kids, I wouldn't let them eat anything else either (later when they say they're hungry), but again, you're the aunt - I think you can be a little looser.

My kids hardly eat anything worthwhile at Disney -- they survive!

I wouldn't try to bribe them to eat. There will be something on the menu that they can eat. If they are hungry, they will eat. There is always bread. Don't even get into a discussion about it with your sister. Just take the kids to whatever restaurant you want and you'll be fine. If they don't eat at a particular place because they didn't like the food - you can find a snack for them afterwards.

It's Disney - they plan for kids to be at every restaurant!

(Besides - you wanna talk child abuse? McDonald's every night???)

You didn't say whether you are on the dining plan or not. If you aren't - the kids can share a meal - or maybe something on the appetizers will suit them if a kids meal doesn't.

The little one is 6 and the older one is 12.5 going on 40....she is the worse tattle tale you ever met and likes to embelish stories with tidbits that never happened...know what I mean? I dont want to her to tell my sister that I was mean and didnt feed them!

My sister is not a WDW person, I invited her to come with us but she has zero interest in it. What a weird-o!

Again, not being a parent, is it normal or ok for kids to eat just pizza and chicken tenders at every meal? No veggies or anything? For breakfast they will eat fruit and waffles, pancakes and bacon but that is it so the places we have picked should be just fine (Ohana, Princess Breakfast, Kona and CP)

We are staying at the Poly and the kids are super excited about the volcano pool, I can always tell them that after they eat dinner we can go swimming, that should work!

I think you guys are right, I need to go with the flow and let them enjoy the vacation too..if they want two bites of something and that is it so be it, if they want just dessert that is fine too! ...I guess I just want them to have a really good time. Darn it I have the right as an aunt to spoil them rotten..you guys are right!

Again, not being a parent, is it normal or ok for kids to eat just pizza and chicken tenders at every meal? No veggies or anything? For breakfast they will eat fruit and waffles, pancakes and bacon but that is it so the places we have picked should be just fine (Ohana, Princess Breakfast, Kona and CP)

Totally normal for a huge number of kids -- including mine! They would subsist on chicken nuggets, cheeseburgers, pizza if I let them. They are much less picky when it comes to dessert -- that all seems good to them!

Edited: And I just wanted to add -- I would love to have an aunt who lives in Naples who would take me to WDW AND THE POLY on my vacation!! If you need to adopt a much older child (I even have a job), let me know!! :-)

I wouldn't feed them beforehand, I wouldn't bribe them and I wouldn't get into it with their mom - just do your thing. Taking them to WDW is a very generous gift in itself and I'm sure you have put a lot into the trip. Reading your posts and reviews in the past, I'd love to be the one with you and your hubby. Your niece/nephew are blessed.

I would keep the reservations the way they are and just be a little excited and pretty much matter of fact about it - This place is cool, they have fish tanks all throughout the restaurant. You are going to love the characters here...... If they are hungry they will eat and if not they won't.

I wouldn't make it a huge issue and if some nights they don't eat much but want dessert - go for it, it is vacation and you are the aunt so you can get away with it. I wouldn't let them do that every night just on a matter of principle that you are spending money on the food and it is quite wasteful to order and not eat every meal. A few times not biggie.

Regardless, they won't starve over the course of one vacation.

Also, being the mom of 4 kids I can tell you that a vacation is for the WHOLE family not just the kids so you and your hubby should certainly be able to enjoy a sit down meal if that is important to you. And they, should respect that and realize that there is give and take with everything.

Have a wonderful trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter