• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help from smokers(please no flaming)

BAMLuvMickey

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip to WDW soon. We are hoping that my mom is able to go. She is a smoker(we are not). I know about DSA(the actual thread is soo long to read) and was wondering on some real advice from smokers.

Like for instance:

Did you find that you smoked a lot less while there and were the DSA's really convenient for you?

What are thoughts on the electonic cigarette thingies(BLU) along with Disney's policies regarding them?

I just really would like to have my mom go with us and be able to be comfortable without turning kind of nutty from lack of nicotine.
Please any advice would be greatly appreciated! THANKS IN ADVANCE! :goodvibes

I smoke a lot less when I'm visiting WDW but have found that sometimes the DSA are easily accessible and other times not so much. It all depends on what area of the park you're in. The DSAs tend to be somewhat centralized but off of the beaten path (as they should be).

I found plenty of opportunity and places to utilize....probably too much ugh. To make it simple and quick I would just ask a cast member where the nearest place was....they actually appreciated me asking, some even thanked me for asking! I never felt out of place nor did I ever feel that I was looked down upon. Hope that helps!

My father went with us and he is/WAS (yay:cool1:) a smoker. we had a wonderful 12 day trip, I highlighted DSA's on each park map as soon as we got there the first day, so he could be familiar with where they were. Then while touring the parks as we would come across a DSA I would remind him it was there and ask if he needed to stop, if he did we took advantage of that time to go potty or shop. As the days went on, he would remember where a DSA was in correspondence to his current location and HE began planning his breaks to be more convenient to the group. No complaints from Dad or anyone else in the group. It actually taught our children NOT to make comments as we pass DSA's now they say they are thankful people are following the rules. Have a wonderful trip, we are missing Disney so much, it's been over a year since we have been and we are so so sad. No trips in the immediate future, until next year anyways, can't let out vacation points go to waste!:idea:

I remember smoking a lot less. So much so that a visit to WDW was actually how I quit (Sept 2004). Made it easier to get through that first week because I was so preoccupied with everything else it wasn't always on my mind.

Wife and I cut back to half a pack a day while there. Also, we took the nicotine gum with us which really cut back on the urge to smoke.

The number of DSAs seems to shrink every time I go. They are not always conveniently located, so it pays to know where each one is. They are marked on the park maps. I probably smoke less in the parks so as to not inconvenience my DH any more than I have to. I was very lucky that our ground floor room was very close to a DSA at the resort.

As far as Disney is concerned a cigarette is a cigarette, whether it is tobacco or electronic. They are to be smoked only in the DSAs.

The hint about the nicotine gum is a good one. Nothing like having a nicotine fit when you've been stuck in a standby line over an hour...

I took a friend who smokes once, and my choice was either to sit with him in smoking areas for the majority of the trip, or spend the majority of the trip alone. I think he maybe went on two or three rides the whole week, and ducked early out of every TS meal. I felt bad that he spent all that money when he could have had the same experience staying home.

My mother smokes, but I do not. When she went with just me, I found she hardly ever smoked, maybe twice a day. Another trip, my sister also went, and she is a smoker. They smoked ALOT on that trip, at least every hour or two. I guess since the "had each other," they were more likely to go off and smoke. We also had the nephews on that trip, so the nephews and I just kept going, and told them to find us (we did tell them where we'd be), when they were done. So it didn't slow us down or change our touring style.

I smoked less.

Firstly because sometimes having to walk five minutes out of the way to a DSA just wasn't worth it. Secondly because I hate smoking when it's humid :)

I smoked a lot less while there. I would grab one at a DSA if the opportunity presented itself, otherwise I'd hang on. DSAs are placed pretty evenly throughout the parks and the resorts. Unless she's a major chain-smoker, you shouldn't have a problem.

My sister is a smoker. We went to WDW for 10 days and she smoked about half a pack. So I guess one a day. She was all about the attractions/rides, food, atmosphere, etc that she rarely thought about it.

I just wanted to say thanks for the tips from this thread. I am making a "Disney Survival Kit" for Nanny (and Poppy, my parents, in their 70s, first trip) and Nanny is a smoker (the rest, not). I like the idea of the Nicorette gum for her kit, and the park map with DSA's highlighted. I'm not a smoker so never would have thought of it!

If I recall correctly the e-cigarettes are treated the same as regular cigarettes and need to be "smoked" in the DSAs too.

Depends on the park for me, AK has very few DSA's I've found compared to the others so I don't smoke much there.
I suppose it just depends on the person really. If I've been touring the parks hard I will grab a drink and sit in a DSA for about 20 mins for a smoke or two

I remember smoking a lot less. So much so that a visit to WDW was actually how I quit (Sept 2004). Made it easier to get through that first week because I was so preoccupied with everything else it wasn't always on my mind.

Same here, in May 2001. I had not been since I was a child, so the whole experience of being there for the first time as an adult allowed me to not think too much about lighting up.

OP - Thanks for being a conscientious smoker-enabler. Even as an ex-smoker, I can't stand when someone thinks they can just smoke in a queue for a ride around everyone else.

We (DBF and I) smoked a lot less. We brought a map with the DSAs marked. It wasn't a problem for us to find them. Our only issue was at AK. There are very few and they are far apart. One of them was back by Camp Minnie Mickey and we don't even go to that part of the park.

We smoke a lot less and dh and I sometimes take a different "break" that way dd isn't stuck waiting. But, otoh, a lot of times she is ready to sit down for a minute too or to get something to drink or a pretzel or whatever.

Since I don't ride the thrill rides, I usually grab a smoke while they are riding and then when they get off, dd and I will go get a drink or a snack or run to the restroom while dh grabs one.

Don't know if its still there, but I don't use the DSA by the castle. It always seemed to be a dumb place to put one since its such a populated area. Always, always, always someone walking through coughing loudly, holding their nose or making comments. Just easier to find another one.

In the MK, my favorite is in Tomorrow Land. Over by the bathrooms to the right of Space Mnt. Rarely anyone over that way and no one else is bothered by the smoke.

I know in AK there is (or was) one fairly close to EE--not a great place as, again, its a well used pathway but the only one I remember.

DH there is (or was) one at the beginning of the street that ABC commissary is on. There are some tables and such there too. Haven't noticed may complaints from other guests there but it is an open area.

At Epcot, there are some in front of the building with Soaring. Its little circular areas that go close to the water so not right by where everyone is walking. We didn't go in the WS last time so not sure how many are left over there.

As far as Disney is concerned a cigarette is a cigarette, whether it is tobacco or electronic. They are to be smoked only in the DSAs.

This is true. Though in the interest of promoting clear language and understanding of the devices, for anyone reading, Id like to make sure we all know that one does not "smoke" an electronic "cigarette". Nothing is burned and no smoke is involved.

I know a lot of people that have been able to avoid the temptation of tobacco by using them and have quit smoking entirely. Personal vaporizers and vaping seems to be the more accurate and preferred term by those interested in educating the public about the difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter