Need Help from my New York City DVC friends.

isavem98

Grumpy
Hi,

Adam from Minnesota here. I am looking for advice on a visit to NYC.

BACKGROUND:

MY DS15 Has an opportunity to sing with the SE Minnesota Honors Choir at the Lincoln Center in March of 2013. However...His HS Marching Band is going to Florida to march at the Magic Kingdom the same week. He sings on Monday evening then the band is scheduled to march on Tuesday afternoon.

Solutions???

I have looked into driving from MN to NY watch the Choral performance Monday night then get in the car and drive to FL and hook up with the band on Tuesday. Looking at the driving times I don't think this will work.

We could fly. I am not opposed to this. My only concern is wether or not there are places to stay near the NYC Airports that are close to transit so we can get into and out of the city without problems.

The solution that may need to take place is to choose one or the other. This would suck but both of our children are aware that sometimes in life tough decisions have to be made. Both of these events could be once in a lifetime opportunities.

Can anyone recommend any ideas on how we might make this work with places to stay and travel options.

Your help and input is appreciated.

It is do-able, but would be hectic. My advice would be to stay at one of the many hotels near the airport JFK or LGA. After his performance you could take a cab to the hotel (there aren't any subways that stop close to airport hotels, there is a monorail that goes from Jamaica train station to JFK, but not to any of the JFK area hotels) some hotels will have a shuttle to the airport in the morning. Cabs to JFK from midtown are a flat rate $40 I think but that may have gone up. Another option is to stay at a hotel in the city and cab it straight to the airport in the morning - which would be what I would do.

If you get the first flight out you should make it to Disney in time. You could take the Magical Express from MCO to you resort... if the band is staying on sight.

My son's HSMB played Disney a few years back it was a great experience.

Good luck.

Adam,

A couple of things to consider, generally the first direct flights out of NY are at 6am and arrive in MCO just before 9. There are three airports close to NYC; JFK, LGA and EWR (Newark). Lincoln center is on the West side of Manhattan in the lower 60's street.

Be prepared to spend some $$ to stay in Manhattan. I would consider staying near Newark and using public transit or taxis to get in and out of the city.

Sounds like an exciting trip, best of luck to you...

Hi,

Adam from Minnesota here. I am looking for advice on a visit to NYC.

BACKGROUND:

MY DS15 Has an opportunity to sing with the SE Minnesota Honors Choir at the Lincoln Center in March of 2013. However...His HS Marching Band is going to Florida to march at the Magic Kingdom the same week. He sings on Monday evening then the band is scheduled to march on Tuesday afternoon.

Solutions???

I have looked into driving from MN to NY watch the Choral performance Monday night then get in the car and drive to FL and hook up with the band on Tuesday. Looking at the driving times I don't think this will work.

We could fly. I am not opposed to this. My only concern is wether or not there are places to stay near the NYC Airports that are close to transit so we can get into and out of the city without problems.

The solution that may need to take place is to choose one or the other. This would suck but both of our children are aware that sometimes in life tough decisions have to be made. Both of these events could be once in a lifetime opportunities.

Can anyone recommend any ideas on how we might make this work with places to stay and travel options.

Your help and input is appreciated.

The driving option sounds dangerous. By Monday night, it sounds like the Lincoln center show will end around 10PM. Lincoln center to WDW is about a 15 hour drive. This put you at WDW at 1PM on Tuesday. Just being realistic, but this doesn't sound doable. Keep in mind that NYC has 3 airports. JFK, Laguardia, and Newark (in NJ).

I agree with staying in Newark. In the end it would be faster and less hectic. Best of luck.

Adam,

A couple of things to consider, generally the first direct flights out of NY are at 6am and arrive in MCO just before 9. There are three airports close to NYC; JFK, LGA and EWR (Newark). Lincoln center is on the West side of Manhattan in the lower 60's street.

Be prepared to spend some $$ to stay in Manhattan. I would consider staying near Newark and using public transit or taxis to get in and out of the city.

Sounds like an exciting trip, best of luck to you...

I have pricelined for Manhattan and gotten the Sheraton near Broadway for $80.00. It is the one that is being remodeled....I think the bulk of the people there pricelined...atleast everyone I spoke to.

You can take an AirTrain right from Penn Station to Newark airport. There is a hotel (Marriott) I believe, right at the airport. The Air Train will cost about $11 one way. You could also take a taxi which is more expensive. You can also take the path (subway) from Penn Station to Newark and then it would be a short taxi ride to the airport.

If staying in NYC, there are buses that leave to LGA and JFK all day from 41st and Park Ave. I don't know the cost but its not bad. As others stated, you are close to Newark as well. If you stay at a Newark hotel, realize this is an airport hotel with nothing else to do around there. There will be a shuttle from the hotel to Newark.

Or, after the performance on Mon eve. you can cab it to a hotel around the airport at JFK, or LGA, so you are ready to leave Tues. am.

Check the prices of airfare out of JFK, LGA, or Newark to help with your decision. Keep in mind, you're going to be pretty tired so sometimes it is worth a few extra dollars not to be knocking around and dragging luggage. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter