• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help deciding

mellowme

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

So, we're thinking of heading to Disneyland in December, but also want to check out Legoland, San Diego Zoo and Sea World.

We're hoping to experience Disneyland etc, as well as get some time in on the beach.

We'll be staying a total of about 10-12 days (haven't quite decided yet). Would you say it's better to just stay in one hotel and drive back and forth? Say for example, stay somewhere near Disneyland and travel back and forth to Legoland (which I believe is about an hour and 15 minute drive) or are we better off splitting our time between two hotels. One hotel near Disneyland for the Disneyland portion of our visit, then one hotel in San Diego for the Legoland, Sea World etc plus beach portion of our visit?

Which beaches in San Diego would you recommend going to for a family day out at the beach?

Would you say the beaches near Disneyland are better than the San Diego beaches or the other way around?

Thanks alot for your suggestions.

Overall, I like San Diego beaches better than Orange County beaches, but I'm from San Diego and biased. I'd say La Jolla Shores is probably the best beach for a family. And, I'd definitely stay near Disneyland while you are going to the parks and then stay in San Diego the days you want to do the beach, seawold, legoland, etc.

We stayed in Carlsbad for the Legoland portion of the trip and San Diego for that portion of our trip. I wouldn't want to drive back and forth between Anaheim and the other areas. This time we are just staying in Carlsbad and heading to San Diego for Sea World and then returning to our hotel in Carlsbad. Have fun! :goodvibes

Anaheim isn't scenic so I'd move hotels. It's actually a little seedy and run-down. Carlsbad and San Diego are beautiful. And why spend vacation hours in LA traffic?

Carlsbad does have a public beach, if you go that route. I've been there once but couldn't tell you a lot about how it compares to LA or SD beaches. I think it was easier to get to than a lot of them, and less crowded. Driving from Carlsbad to the zoo and Sea World is pretty easy, too. Maybe 30 minutes, if I recall right.

I agree with the others. I would def. change hotels between Disneyland and San Diego. San Diego is a 1-1 1/2 hourish drive each way so I wouldn't want to drive back and forth a few times during the trip.

I also like La Jolla beach but also love Coronado Island. Also, with as many days as you have, you could just make a day out of driving down the coast from Anaheim to San Diego and stop at various beaches and tide pools.

I would stay in Anaheim for the Disneyland portion and San Diego for the rest of it. Chances are, you'll only do Legoland for one day, so I would rather stay in San Diego to be closer to the zoo, Sea World and beaches you want to visit. So, all other things being equal, I'd stay closer to San Diego, rather than Carlsbad. (A few years ago, we got a great deal on priceline for a really nice hotel in La Jolla - so that is definitely something I would try for again if going between Carlsbad and San Diego - close to the beach and not too bad a drive anywhere else (though still further to Legoland than the zoo or Sea World).)

We're going to Sea World before our May Disneyland trip, but staying a bit inland in La Mesa (good hotel deals there and not the seedy area that we've been in when we've stayed closer to Sea World - I wouldn't want to stay in the Point Loma area just south of Sea World again).

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.

Are there any other area's we should stay away from?

Is it better to use a private beach vs a public beach?

If you can swing it, I'd recommend staying at Paradise Point (across the street from Sea World). It's a great resort on the bay (private beaches), but you can also use the resort's bikes (or drive) a short distance to Mission Beach/Pacific Beach. Great family beaches!! I grew up staying in Mission Beach every summer.
(And, if you're in South Mission Beach, try Gabbiano's for a sandwich). :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter