• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help convincing

fuzzlekins

Mouseketeer
Just had our best yet Disney vacation in Feb - hubby loved it even though he was in no hurry to go back b/c he likes to go different places. We talked about returning one more time (the last was supposed to be our "last hoorah") while our DD is still young enough to really appreciate the magic. I thought all systems were go for a return trip in Feb '14 (as evidenced in my sig). Then we talked about it the other day and he said he wanted to wait until there was some new stuff to see. :scared1: I know the dwarves mine train coaster is supposed to be done in '14 but not sure when. The princess hall will be new but not that big of a deal. The snazzy new Tangled restrooms are open but there's no way I'm getting him back there for restrooms. LOL Soooo ... What do you Disney die hards know that I don't know that will help convince him to return in Feb '14? Help save our next Disney vacation!! ;)

Well--if you can not convince him (I wish I could provide advice on HOW to convince him, but my hubby is a Disney-holic) and he plans our trips)------I would book a girls trip for you and DD and have an amazing vacation! :love:

There should be tons of stuff you haven't seen yet, right? I mean, we've been a dozen times in the last 8 or 10 years and there are still attractions we haven't gotten to yet.

You could stay at a different resort. It's a totally different trip staying at POFQ than it is staying at the Beach Club. We love both!

Seek out the attractions in each park you've never done. I'm embarrassed to say that we hadn't ever seen the Indiana Jones stunt show at DHS before, and we ended up doing it twice on our last trip! Same thing happened to us with Monsters, Inc. - for years we had no interest until we finally tried it, and now we do it at least 2-3 times on every visit.

Find something special for your DD - maybe breakfast with the Princesses, BBB or whatever she likes - that you've never done before.

WDW is so big that I can't imagine that there isn't a ton of great stuff that isn't "new to you" even if there isn't anything brand new to experience.

I don't knoaw how old your DD is, but I think that Disney magic can be appreciated at any age. I know as parents our kids grow up so fast that we try to hold on to them as youngsters as long as we can. Yes, as kids get older they may realize there's someone under that costume head or try to see how a ride works or where that "specail effect comes from. But that is a whole new magic you can enjoy with them.. I know as an adult I find it just as magical (and interesting) to learn how the magic is made.

Anyway, as PP said, if DH doesn't want to go back as soon as you do, then try to find something else you all can enjoy as a family. There are plenty of choices...maybe your DD has some thoughts. Disney will be there when all of you are ready to go back.

I've been going since 1973 and there are things I still haven't done! Agree with a PP that staying at a different resort is one way to convince him. They provide a different experience. Also Disney isn't just the shows and rides...there are different restaurants to try. Or try going during the Flower and Garden or Food and Wine festivals. It really can be a different experience each time you go!

I am looking at this on smartphone, so I cannot see your signature line or otherwise know the details of your family, etc, but beside seeing other/"new" attractions at the parks, would it be feasible for family (or just him) to enjoy some of the non-theme park activities? Is he (or others in family) a golfer/fisher/horseback rider? Would he enjoy parasailing? Or doing the Petty race car experience? La Nouba (cirque du soleil at downtown disney)? And if none of that works, without getting graphic, how about offering "extra fun" times EVERY NIGHT OF TRIP, with a smile? And I mean "extra" fun, not just regular fun.

Just had our best yet Disney vacation in Feb - hubby loved it even though he was in no hurry to go back b/c he likes to go different places. We talked about returning one more time (the last was supposed to be our "last hoorah") while our DD is still young enough to really appreciate the magic. I thought all systems were go for a return trip in Feb '14 (as evidenced in my sig). Then we talked about it the other day and he said he wanted to wait until there was some new stuff to see. :scared1: I know the dwarves mine train coaster is supposed to be done in '14 but not sure when. The princess hall will be new but not that big of a deal. The snazzy new Tangled restrooms are open but there's no way I'm getting him back there for restrooms. LOL Soooo ... What do you Disney die hards know that I don't know that will help convince him to return in Feb '14? Help save our next Disney vacation!! ;)

That's all focused on the Magic Kingdom. Have you done the other parks? There's tons of magic there as well. What about water parks? Downtown Disney (or Disney Springs)?

And there are tons of books on Disney hidden things (and there is a good thread on this board but I don't have the link to it). Maybe that would be good for the husband. What about Phineas and Ferb at Epcot? Or any of the World Showcase entertainment? Chip and Dale's campfire at Fort Wilderness.

If you want to pay, there's miniature golf, real golf, jet skiis, Hoop Dee Do Musical Revue, the Luau, Mickey's backyard BBQ, Richard Petty's Driving Experience, etc.

I've been to Disney World over 60 times starting in 1977 and I can tell you of all the things I mentioned, I've done World Showcase entertainment and Hoop Dee Do. Everything else I have yet to experience. I'm 51 and hope to get it all done.

Ok, you may not like this, but I am married to a man who reluctantly goes every 5-10 years. If hubby is not "sold" on going--DON'T. It can be a LONG, miserable trip. TRUST ME.

JennyDrake said:
Ok, you may not like this, but I am married to a man who reluctantly goes every 5-10 years. If hubby is not "sold" on going--DON'T. It can be a LONG, miserable trip. TRUST ME.

Leave him. :)

To the op, I would suggest Hollywood studios. There is new pirates show you have not likely seen. If dd has not seen hs, then lots of cool things for her such as toy story and Star Wars.

Guys why do we do this to our husbands? Op you just had a great vacation a few weeks ago.

1) Sorry you are making excuses to get your way.
2) you are using your kid to get what you want. There is no magical cut off age for appreciating disney. My sons are young adults, we love our vacations.
3) He's got a valid point. How would you liked it, if he did the same thing to you. forced you to do some thing you really did not want to do. He likes to go different places. why is his wants any less important?
4) there will always be new stuff to see. The dwarf mine rollercoaster isn't going to disappear if you wait one year.
5) It's called compromise.
6) It is totally possible to have great vacations else where. i know folks here don't believe it but it happens all the time.

Sorry girlfriend, it's time to compromise. He gets to pick. I don't mean to be harsh but I know I wouldn't care for my husband fanagiling a vacation I really did not wabnt to do ESPECIALLY after I said I wanted to try some thing else. Translation: what i want is more important.

would it be so horrible if your next disney vacation was in 2015?

I guess I should provide a little more background/insight ... DD is going to be 6 soon. Hubby was reluctant to go back to Disney this past Feb but decided to do it b/c our DD was at a great age for the princesses, etc. As it turned out, he had a blast b/c I had a bunch of surprises up my sleeve (I plan all the vacations - he doesn't like to do it and I do). We were both talking about coming back in '14 back in Feb. He's not being hostile about not wanting to go; he's just changed his tune. And truth be told, he's second-guessed plenty of vacations I've planned over the years, only to love them while he's there. It's kind of a case of me knowing him better than he does at times. Bear in mind too that we're going to Aruba for a week in June (first time there), which is a 4.5 hr flight and I HATE to fly. It was my idea though b/c I knew he'd enjoy a relaxing all-inclusive vacation b/c we haven't done one since 2006. Part of the fun of the vacations I plan is the surprise factor. This past vacation, I planned the BBB for DD and Sea Raycers for the hubby. I also booked the Pirates & Pals Fireworks Cruise and hand picked our dining well in advance. Everything was taken care of for him, just the way he prefers it, and as I mentioned, we all had a blast. Next time around, I would like to surprise them with a stay at either AKL or WL (rent DVC pts) - they would have NO CLUE. That would be exciting. Was also planning the Pirates League for both of them (hubby has a Jack Sparrow hat already that I would pack). I was also planning some signature dining, which we've never done. Oh and yes to Cirque du Soleil as well as Disney Quest - more firsts for us. We have absolutely done all the parks as well as Sea World and both Universal parks. We typically do open to close at parks every day so we've done pretty much every ride, parade, and show we would want to do (and some we regretted - motion rides - eek). But I don't want to spoil the surprises I have in store by telling him outright, and quite honestly, I don't think he'd realize just how much he would enjoy the surprises. He's focusing instead on Disney rolling out brand new attractions. So that's what I'm trying to overcome, not because I personally am dying to return (I do like going different places too), but because I do think he'd enjoy the trip again and I know our DD would LOVE it. And as we both say often ... At this stage, it's all about her. Besides, going some place the two of us would really enjoy would wind up being hell from whining about being bored etc. from a 6yr old. Hopefully that sheds a bit more light on my motivations and ideas. So then, would you try spilling the beans on the surprises or....? I also spend LOTS of time planning our vacations to make them the best they can be, so I do also hate to just bag it after putting in some effort and research. Could I postpone it til '15? Sure, I could, but will there be a lot more new then?

Maybe it's too soon for your husband to be all excited for the Feb '14 trip because you just got back recently from a DW trip. It's like looking at a menu when you're full. You won't want to think about your next meal now cause you're stuffed, but wait a little and when you're hungry again you'll be more excited to talk food. Lol hope my little analogy made sense. ;). I think all the surprises you have for your DH will be enjoyed by him. If he's looking for new attractions, these surprises you have nit done will be new! Plus like you said, your daughter will live the trip. You know your DH and we don't. So I say, if you think this trip will make him happy than go for it. If it will create resentment than don't.

Sorry meant to type the surprises will be similar to new attractions. Typing on an iPad and haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Lol

Maybe it's too soon for your husband to be all excited for the Feb '14 trip because you just got back recently from a DW trip. It's like looking at a menu when you're full. You won't want to think about your next meal now cause you're stuffed, but wait a little and when you're hungry again you'll be more excited to talk food. Lol hope my little analogy made sense. ;). I think all the surprises you have for your DH will be enjoyed by him. If he's looking for new attractions, these surprises you have nit done will be new! Plus like you said, your daughter will live the trip. You know your DH and we don't. So I say, if you think this trip will make him happy than go for it. If it will create resentment than don't.

That IS a good analogy and I do agree! :) The only problem is that with planning to rent DVC pts, I have to commit sooner than later. :\ That's kind of why I'm having the dilemma now.

It's never a good idea for plot, plan, coerce and manipulate someone to go to Disney you. It'll make YOUR trip a bummer. You'll feel guilty and wonder if they are having a good time. If you "win" you still will feel the weight of the trip on you, especially if something goes haywire.

Maybe do a trip with someone else? Give your hubby a break. He doesn't want to go. He told you so. Respect that.

You'll have more fun with someone that really wants to be there with you.

You'll have more fun with someone that really wants to be there with you.

That's not really the point. I don't want to go because I want to go. I want to go b/c it's a great family vacation that we all really enjoyed. At my daughter's age, planning a trip that will keep her entertained is in everyone's best interest. At Disney, there's something for everyone so that works well. Hubby doesn't hate Disney - he just doesn't always think vacations through since he doesn't deal with the planning, etc. He's used to just getting there and having a great time b/c I've planned every little detail. I have no doubt that he would enjoy the trip once he got there (just as he did this year). The issue is making him think it through and realize that it is indeed a good option. If I ask him where else he wants to go, he either doesn't know or suggests places that aren't a good idea with a 6 yr old. This is why I'm the vacation planner in the family. ;)

Case in point ... Planned a surprise lake getaway for his birthday one year. Didn't tell him where we were going until we literally pulled up to the B&B. He looked around, smiled, and cautiously said, "Where exactly are we? What are we going to do?" I planned to rent a boat, etc. and he had a ball. One year I planned a trip to Iceland. His first response was, "Sure, but what the heck is in Iceland?" I could barely get him on the plane to come home. That was his favorite vacation ever. There are lots of examples like this. See where I'm going with this? He tends to have either a been there done that attitude toward a place or an I don't know anything about it so why do I want to go there sentiment. It's a catch 22 really.

Have you considered a Disney cruise? Not knowing your time frame or budget, one possibility is a few days at the parks and a short 3-4 day) cruise from Port Canaveral or Miami. I know many say the short cruises only wet your appetite for more but it may be a good solution for you. Parks and playtime for your daughter and then more relaxation for you and hubby; as well as the kids clubs and princesses for your daughter :)! We're going on our first DCL cruise in a few weeks. We don't usually leave our daughters 10 & 8, at the kids clubs when we're at the parks but plan to do so on the cruise for some much needed couple time! Oh...and if you do the Wonder or Magic do a DISboard search on exotic rasual ;)!

BTW, my hubby sounds a bit like yours. He was hesitant about booking the cruise but I suspect will be the first in line to rebook! He hates big crowds so the parks are not his favorites but he's always had a great time when we've gone which has been quite a bit as Florida residents. I agree with other posters to not force him but that really doesn't sound like your case.

Have you considered a Disney cruise? Not knowing your time frame or budget, one possibility is a few days at the parks and a short 3-4 day) cruise from Port Canaveral or Miami. I know many say the short cruises only wet your appetite for more but it may be a good solution for you. Parks and playtime for your daughter and then more relaxation for you and hubby; as well as the kids clubs and princesses for your daughter :)! We're going on our first DCL cruise in a few weeks. We don't usually leave our daughters 10 & 8, at the kids clubs when we're at the parks but plan to do so on the cruise for some much needed couple time! Oh...and if you do the Wonder or Magic do a DISboard search on exotic rasual ;)!

We have talked about that in the past but we've never done a cruise b/c neither one of us are sure we'd like it. I don't think either of us would relax with our daughter at the kids' club on a boat. I always remember that cruise that listed severely in the Caribbean and stuff was thrown everywhere and no one knew where their kids and other family members were or if they were hurt. That scares the crap out of me ... kind of like flying does. I'd be more apt to put her in the kids' club at a resort than on a cruise. In fact, I was planning to do that for a massage for the two of us and a signature dinner on our next trip. Again, something I think the hubby would enjoy that we haven't done at Disney before, but I hate to spoil the surprise by telling him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter