Need Help Convincing Wife to Buy DVC!

artvandelay

Mouseketeer
I've been going over the current special for SSR and I think it's a good deal. $85 a point, March use year, no mait. until 3/05, and use til 2054 has made it more attractive than buying a resale (only $13 a point extra for 12 more years and no closing costs). The problem is convincing my wife. She doesn't want to shell out the $17000 for 200 points, and than pay $760 mait. a year.

My wife wants to buy a timeshare in South Africa for $2700 (3 BR, RCI GC, red prime week) and $500 mait. a year. I've researched South Africa on Tug2, and it's on the up and up. People have not had a problem getting a week in Orlando at any time of the year, and at different resorts (Vistana, Orange Lake, etc.)

I like to stay on property, but it's a tough sell because of the price difference.

Please help me out before the current special expires.

Tell her Cobra told you so. You won't go wrong.

And I finally found who got the screen name I wanted.

We bought at another timeshare in Orlando thinking we could get into Disney through Interval International. We were told we could by the other timeshare salesman. Then we find out we can't because we are too close to Disney. Everytime we stay in Orlando, we wish we were on property. Last November when my husband and I went to WDW by ourselves, we took the tour a second time (first time in 1995) and decided why buy another timeshare farther away from Disney and try to trade into a DVC resort, when we could just spend our money where we really wanted to be and that was on Disney property. Think long and hard before you buy something you will be unhappy with and can't get rid of later. If we had the money that we spent on resorts when we did stay on property, we could have had our DVC paid for.

Just my opinion.

:earsgirl: :earsboy:

Art,

My two cents; I would re-consider a resale. You're going to pay 10.00 dollars extra a point for something that you're not going to use for 38 years! If I were you I use the extra $ to buy more points on a resale. Again, IMHO.

People have not had a problem getting a week in Orlando at any time of the year, and at different resorts (Vistana, Orange Lake, etc.)

this may be true, but is it really what you want? Do you want to have to take full weeks, no more and no less, there is no flexibility in the amount of time you stay there if it is a traditional timeshare.

I have stayed at Vistana several times and visited Orange Lake this past December when I booked my in-laws there, and I can tell you that there is no comparison at all between either of them and any of the DVC resorts.

I would really think long and hard about this one.

My understanding from scanning the TUG boards is the cheap South African timeshare resorts are not trading like they used to. If you want Orlando, but dont care about being on site, buy a Marriott resale-like Grand Vista.

If you do care about being on-site, and who wouldnt? Buy a DVC resale. It is almost impossibel to trade into, and when you do, you usually only get the choice of OKW. (not that that's a bad thing) JMHO, of course, we own at both BWV and OKW and love both.

If you are happy offsite, its a no-brainer. Buy somewhere else. Lots of good cheap Orlando area timeshares to own or trade into.

If you aren't going to be happy unless you are onsite (and meet the other "good deal" criteria - plan on frequent WDW vacations, not a lot of long weekends, like Deluxe or perhaps Moderate resorts), its a no brainer - why waste money anywhere else.

(I know someone who owns South Africa and it hasn't worked well for them - they aren't paying airfare to go to South Africa and it hasn't traded as well as they anticipated. Fortuately, they bought resale and won't take a bath when they sell. I don't know the particulars - its possible they have a bad week or a bad timeshare).

Import/ Export.....I'm also an architect...

btrim- Sounds like you purchased the same timeshare we did.

Does Westgate ring a bell???

We were also told we could trade into Disney. NOT!!! We found out later (thru Interval Int.) that we could only trade outside of a 50mile radius from Westgate.

Soo... the next year we purchased 170 pts. at BCV, then bought a 130 pt. add-on at SSR.

That will show them!!!

(Still have the Westgate, anyone interested???):smooth: :smooth:

Rob

I have a SA that I use to trade to Orlando and several other places - it is not a great timeshare by any means -

I love the trades I have made with it.
the key to SA is to trade earlier - the problem with them -you traded early and your plans change. I will probably be using my 2006 (yea 2006) year shortly to exchange.

then you can get a great resort at a great time.

RCI and II trade very differently - RCI does not care what you are trading with - II definitely does.

RCI if the resort has availability you can generally get it.

II you can only get an exchange if you resort is of similar quality to the resort you are trading.

Other timeshare have a place.

but I really love my DVC - it is wonderful for my trips to WDW. You can stay a night or a month (if you have the points) - you pick the resort, the size of the unit and when you are staying. this makes DVC great!!!

Oh RCI and II are the exchange companies.

SA trades much better with RCI.

II is the only exchange company that DVC uses.

DVC is worth it if you are now going to WDW every year (or every other year) and staying on WDW property. If off property - then maybe your wife might be right.

however you might be able to convenice her - rent a 1-bedroom villa from a DVC member - (DVC rental/trades) - if after staying at a DVC resort she still wants off-site - then sorry you did the best you could.

however I would not buy a SA to trade in the US - I would buy a US timeshare - especially at that price. (I did but everything include the RCI member was $1,000)

JMHO...

Don't make a George-sized mistake here. How about waiting? How about renting some points and taking your DW on a trip at the DVC resort, experience the whole she-bang, then see what she says? That may win it for you hands down. If not, buy her some stationery...with questionable envelopes, if you know what I mean.

Dis Happy, that made me laugh out loud!

Thank You all for the tips. I'm going to prepare a presentation and try to WOW her with DVC.

I think the flexibility of DVC is a major selling point for us. It's hard for me to plan 1 to 2 years out (my job). Can someone please explain the cancellation policy to me. My DVC contact told me something about 30 days and in your points go into a holding account!? What happens to thosse points?

Thanks again. You're all welcome to come to my summer house out in the Hamptons. I'll eeven drive you there!

if you have to cancel 31 days or less before your arrival date at the resort - then your points go into a holding account.

then you have to use them 60 days (no sooner) before your next arrival date.

I certainly would not buy a SA without being able to plan pretty far in advance for it.

there was a time when last minute exchanges were the best for SA - but not any more - now at the 45 day period when RCI use to open up everything - they now go put the resorts on Skyauction and the other websites that they have.

I understand about work.....

one of my mistakes - I make a reservation for Jul2 (so I would have July 4) at Orange Lake - 2bedroom - well guess what I can't leave work in July....a couple of days yes - a week no way.....

RCI cancellation policy is at 60 days - before then you can cancel and be charged $99 - but you get your week back - I think after 60 days you don't get anything - I will check - so if you made last minutes changes I would not go with RCI.

Funny about having to sell the wife. New poster here (hello all), just got back from a trip to Orlando. Stayed 3 nights at the Wyndham (including one night locked in for Charlie).

My wife and I own in Mexico and trade through RCI. I dislike the experience. I came to the conclusion that we should have never purchased the week. Don't get me wrong- the resort is gorgeous, has a spa, great service, etc. But trading through RCI is more agonizing than I thought it would be (or was sold on). I was convinced if I ever owned a timeshare again, I would go where I would not mind going every year, and would trade out on occasion.

That led me to DVC. I've been researching DVC for a while. Made my first ever trip to the world last year at the Boardwalk Inn, and saw the demo unit they had for the villas. At the time the wife was not interested in looking because we had a week.

Fast forward to this year. Bought my wife a spa package at the Saratoga for our anniversary, and talked her in to a sales pitch after the spa treatment. She and I were both sold. We did not buy (yet), we only had a 1/2 day that day because we had to fly out, but I was amazed at how little pressure there was. Our rep gave us her card and told her to call her when we are ready. Now, we live in a state that is not registered with DVC, but I'll be back in Orlando for a trade show soon. So my wife was sold just by seeing the units and hearing the pitch. We've had two great trips there in two years, and can see us coming back. I would not buy into anything that trades through RCI unless you buy a unit that you would not mind going to year in and year out.

The question I do have is that since we are 2800 miles from DW, we will on occasion want to stay elsewhere. How easy is it really to trade into II? Particularly, some of the Marriott properties. We like to go to Hawaii every 2-3 years, anyone have success/horror stories to relate?

Good luck convincing the wife. I'm sold that DVC is the right way to go. Now the question is new as Saratoga or used somewhere else.

Thanks, Spicey and Big. I have more questions:

When do banked points expire? Eg If I bank my 3/05 points when would they expire?

Any fees for banking or borrowing points?

Thanks

Your banked pts would expire on 3/06. And there are no fees for banking or borrowing.

I will add DVC is not the typical timeshare. Flexibility is the name of the game. My DW didnt want to buy in at first. We looked at it, said financailly we couldnt do it. Looked at it a year later and took the plunge. Bought VWL site unseen. Bought 50 more pts, still hadnt seen it yet.

Took our 3rd trip in Mar, started talking about another add-on. We were going to buy 50 more but 130 were available, we bought all 130, she didnt blink an eye this time. Why? Because DVC is that good. It took us getting her foot in the door, but once she did, she nor I have regretted it in the least.

I have a very good friend who purchased DVC in 92. They also own two other timeshares. They use all three but DVC according to him far outweighs the other 2 in what they get out of them.

My DH had a tough time convincing me. We just got married and shelling out that kind of money was tough. In the end, he won and we bought. Best thing we ever did (besides our DD). We bought 3 add on's too!

My advice, buy where you will be going the most. If you want to travel all around the world, buy a conventional time share. If you think you want to be on Disney property, buy DVC. You can't beat the flexibility.

Originally posted by artvandelay
....(snip).......When do banked points expire? Eg If I bank my 3/05 points when would they expire?

Any fees for banking or borrowing points?

Originally posted by jimmytammy
Your banked pts would expire on 3/06. And there are no fees for banking or borrowing.....(snip)..........

I think you mis-interpreted artvandelay's post(s). I believe he is asking about the points he will receive on 3/1/2005.

The points received on 3/1/2005 are good for stays that occur between 3/1/2005 and 2/28/2006. If the points are banked, they will be good for one additional year - i.e., for stays between 3/1/2006 and 2/28/2007. If you do not use the banked points prior to March 1, 2007, you will lose them.

Note also that banking and borrowing are final transactions. Points that are banked or borrowed cannot be returned to their original use year.

As jimmytammy posted, there are no fees to bank or borrow points.

Best wishes -

Regarding ultra-cheap timeshares. I don't know the specifics about the South African timeshares. But I do know that the rule "You get what you pay for" always holds true. I think that a few people may have had success trading out at first. But as the number of "owners" increases (as it surely will if the prices are so low), it will become more and more difficult to trade.

You won't be able to trade INTO DVC unless people are trading out into the same system. At least that's my understanding. How many DVCers are trading for South African condos?

When our children were young we always had to go to the grandparents farm at Christmas and several other times during the year. The children hated it. They were board. When the children reached college they were tired of family vacations. I did not want my grandchildren dreading to go see Grandma and Grandpa and the children finding excuses not to come.

We bought DVC. Problem solved. We will never have a problem gathering the family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter