• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help buying a new Vacuum Cleaner

Swan

DIS Veteran
Lets talk vacuum cleaners. I have a Kirby and I love it, but it is getting old and I do not want to spend that much on a new vacuum cleaner. I have cats and dogs and some tile . I need a vacuum that is good at picking up animal hair. It also needs to have easy to use floor attachment. Please share with me the vacuum cleaners that you like.:coffee:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4633929

This is what we have. It's cheap, works great, pick up so much dirt and pet hair, and easy to clean. We've had it for about 2 years, and still works like new. It's amazing how much junk it get out of the carpet, and how it gets the slate tile we have downstairs too. I have a dalmatian that sheds a ton, and it keeps our carpets looking great! :thumbsup2

I have in the past 10 years invested in 3 vacuums and my final one was the kirby and it is by far the best I have had. I had a hoover before and I thought I liked it but it didn't work after a few years. I would stick with your kirby, it does it all.

Many of your terms are subjective (easy-to-use attachments). However, generally, Kenmore makes good, quality vacuums that are fairly inexpensive.

People will swear by Dyson; however, I don't consider their attachments easy to use.

In my 18+years of home ownership, we've had Oreck, Kenmore, Dyson, and Riccar. I've been more partial to the high end vacuums, mostly because they are also the quietest.

I really like my Dyson DC07 and it is great at picking up dog hair. I had used my son's Dyson for spring cleaning and just had to get one when the price was right, which just happened to be a couple of weeks ago. The price recently was $399.99 with a $100 gift card at numerous locations- Target, Boscov's, etc. I went to BBB and the manager said he would give me a $100 gift card, or $100 off cash. Guess which I picked! Yep, the $100 cash, bringing it down to $299.99. But that's not all. I then presented the 20% off coupon and they accepted it (just like with the Kitchenaid mixers). So my final price was $240 with a 5 year product guarantee. :thumbsup2
Cost for the value was more than reasonable.

I like my Dyson--it has great suction and does a great job picking up animal hair--but the attachments are a big pain to use (DH agrees).

I have 2 Dyson's, one for upstairs and one for down, love them. I have a Siberian Husky, so we know dog hair!! I've owned Electrolux, Oreck, never had a Kirby (didn't know they still made them), but I would recommend the Dyson.

I vote for Dyson too. I am a new convert and I can tell you it sucks like there is no tomorrow. Uh, you know what I mean. :lmao:

I used it before cleaning my carpet last week and before I would always have a lot of pet hair clumping up the openings and brushes of my carpet cleaner. This time it was not there. That vacuum gets more stuff from the carpet than I ever thought was there. It works well on the laminate floor too. I got the "slim" model the 17 I believe and used the $100 off at BBandB. I am happy with the price and performance.

We got the dyson slim to weeks ago and I am really enjoying it - we used a 20% off coupon fro BBB, we get them almost every week, so we almost got $100 off. I wanted to get it at Bed bath and beyond because of their easy return policy (basically as long as you have a receipt you can return an item ANY time - even if it breaks next year, or the year after that :) )

I really like how the extended arm comes out - a lot easier to use than my always breaking bissell and it doesn't bring a lot of attachments like the others - what the slim comes with is more than enough for me.

I love my new pink Dyson! I really like how the attachments work. Maybe it is because we had lost almost all of the attachments to our old one and I am just happy to have some. The wand thing reaches up to the ceiling with no problem and we have 9 1/2' ceilings. It really works and I like that I don't need to buy bags ever again.

How about a used or refurbished Kirby? When I was in high school, my Mom wanted a Kirby but couldn't afford a new one. At a local vacuum cleaner store they sold used and refurbed vacuum cleaners. She bought her Kirby from them and used it for 15 more years. She would probably still have it if my parents hadn't separated and she left it behind when she moved.

We own 2 Electroluxs and we enjoy them. We bought them both used from my mother in-law so I don't know how much a new one costs (she buys one every 3 years). The older model works better than the newer one.
I'm a homemaker for the county and I've used a lot of vacuums. I think the Kirbys clean well but are very heavy to manuver. I like the idea of the bagless vacuums but they have a tendency to clog up and you have to unplug them often. I've never used a Dyson. I hope I get to one of these days to try it out. (Did I just write that?) :eek: :sick:

I recently bought the Sears Kenmore Progressive w./ Intellivac. It was $250 and is the number one rated vacuum in Consumer Reports. It has a handle control to switch from rugs to bare floors and it really awesome!!

I just splurged and bought a Dyson and I do absolutely love it. I'm amazed at how much it actually picks up. After vacuuming my furniture or my rugs, I'm amazed at the amount of cat hair in the canister. That's being said, they are very very expensive. I wrote to Dyson about what one would be best with a person with allergies and animals and unfortunately they got back to me too late because I needed one immediately as my husband was in the hospital, but they said all there vacuums will pick up pet hair and help with the allergies, but certain vacuums come with additional attachments. If I realized that I probably would have just bought the 07 vs. the animal 07. Walmart has a teal blue one in there flyer this week. This week I also used my regarding vacuum as I was in the basement and it was too and there's a huge difference in how that one works vs. my new Dyson.

I just bought a new vacuum cleaner and based on Consumer Reports bought a Hoover Boss Smart Vac Ultra. It is the best vacuum we've ever owned and it was reasonable (less than $80)

We have 2 cats and a big furry dog, and I am in love with the Dyson slim. It picks up stuff like crazy and is so easy to manuever. I have avoided vacuuming for 16 years of marriage - my hubby is so kind to do it - because I can't stand lugging the big awkward and noisy thing around. I now find myself volunteering to vacuum (my husband nearly fainted) because it is so cool and easy. :cheer2:

Another Dyson fan here.

But, I agree that the attachment hose isn't the quickest/easiest to use.

Have to agree on the Dyson, I got one this past weekend, and I love it. Had a Kirby for years, and was surprised to see how much they dyson picked up. Also my old kirby attachments seem to fit so I can reuse them. Got the dyson slim all floors it is totally awesome.

Since bagless seems the way to go, any opinions? I'm still using the vacuum we got as a housewarming gift 14 yrs ago. It's an upright with a bag. Seems like they would be really messy to empty....How often do they need emptied?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter