need help adding a 2nd dog

We have had corgis for 25 years. Right now I have two corgis. One is 8 and male. The other 6 and female. Based on the breeders recommendation we introduced the female when our first one was 2 years old and well established. She also recommended a female dog and not another male. Our youngest was introduced at about 12 weeks and the two of them have always gotten along well. We feed them in opposite corners of kitchen with no problem. The oldest is the only one that really likes to play and fetch and no problems there. We have only one crate and they seem to take turns wanting to sleep in it. When we go to the dog park together they pick out one dog and totally on instinct work together to herd it into a corner.

As for food I've used Blue buffalo their entire lives. They are a perfect weight and don't get that much exercise. But I've learned from their breeder that what we think is a sufficient amount if food is way too much. They get one half cup twice a day plus one Blue cookie and a raw hide.

My oldest is an alerter. He barks at all sounds and has gotten worse. Finally resorted to a bark collar that sprays him with a scent every time he barks. He hates it but does stop the barking when he has it on. I got it on Amazon.

They do bark at other dogs while on leash but as soon as they get close they are very friendly.

I asked for advice so I am open to oppinions. It is not an area I am knowledgeable about. Adding the 2nd dog has made me feel slightly guilty because it is highlighting sone Iof the errors I made raising the first dog. Because he was an only child and a size in which I can exert control if I wish I let sone things slide. With two u can't do that so I am needing to go back and retrain him a bit.

My dogs are also very friendly once they get next to the dogs but they sound terrible for a moment. How much do your dog's weigh that they get 1 cup a day?

Also vet recommended a bark collar. I want to wait one more week before doing that. One concern is that of the other dog barks and he does but much less, the non-offending dog will get sprayed. I am using a spray bottle to stop them from chasing my poor cat together.

I hate no bark collars with a passion, because I have seen dogs shocked when they didn't bark but something else set it off, I've seen dogs absolutely "flip out" and respond with panic/aggression from being shocked, etc. (And the citronella spray ones are just as bad, don't get me started, urgh....)

A corgi barks, it's part of their herding nature, and you will be able to teach them to control it, but it will take time and patience. Here's a decent article:
http://www.dogchatforum.com/stop_dog_barking.htm
"The best thing to do to help with barking is not to allow it to become a habit in the first
place.

A few things you can do are:
1) Train from day one what will and will not be allowed. Remember, some breeds are more prone to barking, but any dog can be a nuisance barker.
2) Teach a command that lets the dog know you want him to be quiet like NO BARK or ENOUGH.
3) Keep your dog inside when you are not home. Dogs left outside alone all day are more prone to nuisance barking.
4) Obedience training.
5) Adequate exercise, proper attention to him, mental and physical stimulation. A dog that gets what he needs mentally and physically is less apt to be a problem barker.
6) Teach your dog when he can bark and that once you have checked out a situation, he can stop alerting you.
7) Try to find the trigger of the bark – like neighborhood kids teasing the dog.
8) Do not inadvertently teach the dog that constant barking is good.
9) Positive training methods to encourage the dog to stay quiet when told
10) Do not let the dog get away with barking for hours before you tell him to stop. The dog may be getting set to stop anyhow and he is getting attention from you, increasing the chance of barking if he is doing it for attention. Stop the bark when it first starts."

Terri

I would also walk them individually, because I'm sure they are feeding off each other's excitement.

I know others will disagree, but I use prong collars (properly sized and fitted, high and tight behind the ears) for daily walks in public, and my dogs walk on a loose leash without pulling. Usually they will tug against the prongs only once or twice, get the picture, and that will be the end of that.

I've seen more damage done to throats/tracheas due to improper use of slip collars due to dogs pulling and pulling against them as they are literally getting strangled by the collar. Harnesses and anything attached to the body seem to encourage the dog to pull against it (like a sled dog).

Also a dog the size of a corgi you should be able to walk fast enough to keep him *moving* so he doesn't have time to meander around and worry about his surroundings and other dogs. He should be trotting at a quick pace, eyes ahead, and focused on where he's going.

Terri

I love corgis! Such cute guys!

I would check in with your vet on how much you should be feeding the dog. And also keep in mind weight loss in animals should happen SLOWLY. it is a long term goal and a lot of people forget that or want quick results.
I work with a vet and she has helped my boyfriend's once 19lb cat slim down to 13lbs which took over a year. But he/we did it and he looks awesome, plays more, jumps more etc.
I have seen a lot of clients frustrated with the slow process of their pets losing weight so be sure to be patient and stick with it. Even when they are begging :)
Good luck to you guys!
Any pics of the two corgis??

For cedricandsophie: " When we go to the dog park together they pick out one dog and totally on instinct work together to herd it into a corner. "

To me that sounds like very dangerous behavior that I would never tolerate as either the owner of the dogs doing this or the owner of the dog being cornered. Honestly surprised you haven't had a problem.

Terri:

I agree with you about the no bark collar, I personally haven't used a prong collar but know others that have great success with them. For my biggest puller/hunter the redbone coonhound the harness seems to confuse his brain into submission and I have perfect control and a pleasant walk with him when he has it on. It would never work for the other dogs. The " old lady" walks fine off leash or with a standard collar/leash. They're all different and we need to remember that.

It might also be helpful to tucker them out first in the yard playing ball before you go for your walk. I know it seems like a lot of effort, but as working dogs, if that's all they do, they're putting all their pent up energy into it and it will be harder to get them to behave when their adrenaline is up.

You also have to be careful about the "pack effect" where two dogs together may do things that individually that one or neither dog would do alone, like gang up on another dog. Again this can happen when their adrenaline is up. Walks ideally should be nice and calm; enjoyable for everyone.

It sounds like your dog was relatively stable, but bringing in an older, perhaps more dominant (and free to be so), untrained and unsocialized male may have upset the apple cart. I am hopeful it can be worked out but I think it's important you take firm charge here yesterday if good behaviors are to start, otherwise they're learning bad behaviors. You have to be firm and as others have said, in charge, and the dogs need to know it. They get that message when they behave for you. Your dog already got it, presumably. But this new dog, I don't know. He can't just come in and take over freely. It's kind of unfair to him that his previous owners didn't train him or do anything with him, but unfortunately now the ball is in your court to have to do it. If he was one dog alone it would be much easier. Now you have two to consider, and have to deal with everything that comes along with that. Keeping them (and the cat) safe is of utmost concern. I think the key here is going to be "gradually".

I'll be honest, when you said his bag was packed I almost :faint: and then that you took him, again :faint: I mean, I think it's nice to give a home to a dog who needs one, but you always have to make sure that that pet fits into your home well, first, otherwise it can be a nightmare. I'm not surprised you're exhausted already. :guilty: You have your work cut out for you.

I've been looking for a second dog for about a year and a half now. First, one who would get along with my Shepherd who was on wheels. We were all set to leave a rescue with a small dog when she bit my dog on the face, twice. Then another we went to see was by report friendly to other dogs, but the foster mom told my DH she also was known to bite other dogs. Sorry, couldn't take that on. Saw a beautiful Shepherd that my son really wanted, but the dog was 140lbs of untrained energy, and again, I knew I couldn't take that on right then. (My DH had had surgery in August and I had surgery in the fall.) I can't even tell you how many rescues I visited and contacted. Wound up with a puppy and now that our Shepherd is gone, I've once again been looking for the right dog to add to our household. Same story. Needless to say, we still have just one dog. And the reason is because I know my own limitations and what it takes to live with two dogs and I want harmony here, not more work for me. (I spent ten years working really hard with my last dog. If you met her, you'd say what a great dog she was, and she was, but that was a direct result of all the work I put into her, and it wasn't easy. I just don't want that again right now, and don't know if I ever will.) Point being that, IMO anyway, adding a second dog to the household should be a really well thought out thing. (For most people - I know some a free spirits when it comes to that, and things can work out, but I prefer peace and harmony in our household and the dog(s) is/are a part of that.)

If you don't have Good Owners, Great Dogs, I think it's a great resource, and I believe there is mention of having two dogs. There are also, I'm sure, a lot of articles online about adding a second dog to your home.

yep yep and yep again I reacted the same way :faint: So many people bring home a dog into the home of a dog that is already there and don't realize not a good thing. Actually when it works out it is very surprising, and lots of work. Ideal situation the old dog and the new dog meet for the first time in neutral territory a place that no one " owns " .

I just wanted to add that we currently have three male dogs in the house (13, 12 and 8), we have had up to 6 total, and my rule has always been that there must be one crate per dog. My FIL has always thought that crates were "cruel", but he was up last month and watched two of the dogs choose, by their own free will, to lay in their crates and watch me cook in the kitchen, and his mind was changed! I feed in the crates, and have never had food aggression as long as I've done so. (Plus it teaches them not to gulp, and forces them to rest quietly for awhile after eating so as not to have digestive issues.) We also transport in dog boxes or crates, so our dogs already feel comfortable/safe in them and know what to expect. With an anxious or hypersensitive dog, I've also used plastic vs wire crates, and draped the crate (like a birdcage), so it seems even more cavelike and safe. Crates for corgis would be quite small, so wouldn't take up much room!

Terri

Another thing you can do is to take both dogs to a neutral place and let them get to know each other. Since your original dog will see the home as his space, neutral territory will keep them from getting aggressive a lot of the time. We have tried this method a few times and it works great! It usually occurs at first meetings, but since they seem to be having a bit of a dominance struggle, it may nip things in the bud.

I also, when walking, don't allow the dog to pull and misbehave. If that starts, we turn around; distract (maybe keep a ball on hand, but ideally this is taught from a young age). We only go forward if the dog is calm, otherwise we go in the other direction.

The other day I was walking and a lady allowed her small dog to pull himself over to my dog and, well, attack him. I couldn't believe it. Dogs can't be allowed to do this! Ideally what should've happened there was they stopped or turned around, and only gone forward when he was calm, then a safe introduction from a distance, or none at all if acting aggressively. When a dog is allowed to pull then bite, it's not only horrible behavior, it sends the message to the dog that what he did was ok (pleading with the dog to "be nice" is not a correction) therefore the likelihood of it happening again just went up. But a lot of people dont realize what "doggie manners" are.

Oh, that's too funny! My lovely cousin who has three boys (under the age of 8), two corgis, and who worked with me teaching dog obedience for years swears she's going to write a book entitled, "Training your Dog or Training Your Child: Techniques That Work For Both"! (And, yes, when she can't stand the chaos, I've seen her yell, "crates, rooms, everybody", and they all scatter to their time out areas ;)!)

Terri

Great title ! I can relate, no kids here anymore but 7 dogs well you know. Somedays when returning home I sit in the car and relish the peace. I called my dear friend who was in rescue with me for years and was feeling guilty one day. I asked, " Do you ever just want to run away from it all ? Not see another dog for a few days ? " Without missing a beat she stated, " Everyday of my life " Made me laugh and realize the feelings are normal.

She also has a sign on her fenced in property:

Drive with caution: Old dogs, Young dogs, several stupid dogs.

Got to keep a sense of humor always...I will even admit in a moment of craziness I have snapped my fingers at my husband and gave him a " Shhhhh ! "

So Tiggerroo what are their names and will we ever see a picture of them ?
Ruthie

Last edited:
I say you should write a book, Pea-n-me, and Terri and I will say " I knew her when " paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:paw:
:eek: :scared1:

Oh, that's too funny! My lovely cousin who has three boys (under the age of 8), two corgis, and who worked with me teaching dog obedience for years swears she's going to write a book entitled, "Training your Dog or Training Your Child: Techniques That Work For Both"! (And, yes, when she can't stand the chaos, I've seen her yell, "crates, rooms, everybody", and they all scatter to their time out areas ;)!)

Terri
I often thought my background in dog training was helpful in raising my kids. The principles are pretty similar. :idea:

[QUOTE="Pea-n-Me, I often thought my background in dog training was helpful in raising my kids. The principles are pretty similar. :idea:[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree, and even though we all use different methods it's very true. In fact I used many of the same techniques with the horse ( Maxine ) long before we ever got involved with a professional horse trainer. She has excellent manners and is extremely gentle. She was only 2 when I got her and I had never had a horse before. Many people said I was crazy. I heard " Green + Green equals Black and Blue " more times than I can remember. My belief is " Calm equals Calm " .

It basically all comes down to they all need a leader; kids, dogs, horse, same principles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter