Need good advice from those who have done both...drive and fly

Thanks everyone.

I think we will be driving....as of right now, but I won't rule out flying.

We are struggling with this decision ourselves for our Oct/Nov trip. We live in NC so it is approx a 10 hour drive for us vs 1 1/2 plane ride. Trying to convince DH that it makes sense economically to drive our own car, but he feels that too much vacation time gets eaten up in driving. I think we can save approx $1000 by driving our own car which is a significant amount of money so we are more than likely going to drive. Good Luck OP, it has not been an easy decision.

Have you considered the Amtrak? I have been looking into it for our upcoming trip. I have always been the only driver on our trips (about 9 1/2 hours), but this time I am probably going with Amtrak. They are not so strict about luggage (3 check-in & 2 carry-ons per person), plus you can take a cooler with food, drinks, snacks, etc.

I found that taking the Amtrak would actually be cheaper than it would be just to cover the cost of gas, by driving.

Just for fun, I put in the dates of my trip (June 9th, from PA to Orlando, and it is $320 for 2 people each way).

For me, it is mostly a cost-based decision. When we drive, we spend a total of three nights on the road (2 down, 1 back). So, between gas, food and hotels, it costs us about $1000 to drive. That means that to break-even, I would need to get airfare at $250 or less. For our June vacations, I have been able to get airfare for under $200 which makes flying the clear choice. OTOH, when we travel over spring break (first week of April), I'm lucky if I can find airfare under $300 so for those trips, we drive.

We don't use our car onsite when we drive so that isn't a factor. While I like the scenic drive and being able to travel at our own pace, I think I prefer to fly. I am not a big fan of the actual flying part, but I like the fact that I can get up at 10am and be at my resort by 5pm.

We are struggling with this decision ourselves for our Oct/Nov trip. We live in NC so it is approx a 10 hour drive for us vs 1 1/2 plane ride. Trying to convince DH that it makes sense economically to drive our own car, but he feels that too much vacation time gets eaten up in driving. I think we can save approx $1000 by driving our own car which is a significant amount of money so we are more than likely going to drive. Good Luck OP, it has not been an easy decision.

Oh my, if we only had a 10 hr drive it would be a no-brainer for us....we would definitely drive....and certainly for a savings of $1000.

We have driven and flown both. I like both actually! I think for our trip next year, we will drive (depending on how both little babies do in the car!), but as our family grows it's getting cheaper for us to drive, and I like spending time in the car!

Two people, same cost either way? Absolutely no question about it- FLY!
The stress of driving, wear and tear/mileage on the car and getting there exhausted? I'd rather fly, thank you.
I'm a nervous flyer too. One valium about an hour before we board and I'm good to go. My annual prescription of 30 actually says on the bottle- take one an hour before flying.

Pro to flying is you're there pretty quickly. Con to flying is you are at the mercy of the airline and Mother Nature. We fly nonstop from Pitt (waving from other side of PA!) to MCO and we find we are more rested for our trip.

We tried the drive in Nov 2009 because I didn't like the forecast and was afraid our return flight home would be canceled - at least when we have our own car we can pull over and decide whether we want to try and drive thru winter weather.

When we drove down, we went straight thru, almost 18 hrs later we were checking into a Downtown Disney hotel.. we hit the GA/FL border and decided to just drive on thru. We left around 7am from home and checked into the hotel before 1am. Not bad, but my DH was worn out from all the driving. Coming home we took 2 days to come back north because we got such a late start out of Disney, I didn't want to leave.

I think you need to look at how long you will be down at Disney, the time of year and talk it over with your spouse and decide what you both want to do.

Our drive was fun and memorable but the flight gets us there quicker, even when we factor in a 3hr drive to the Pitt airport. We just feel more rested.. and I say this with white knuckles cause I hate to fly.

With all this said, if we lived closer, I would drive! Anything under 10hrs is something I'd love!

Good luck with your decision!!

We've flown, taken the train and driven and we will always drive from now on. We know it will take us a couple days to get there and we are ok with that (we always stay at least 9 nights and don't take any days from our Disney time). Honestly, the drive with all the stops is part of our trip and our memories. We do love having our car, but we also love not having to depend on airlines, weather and whatnot that might delays us.

With only 2 people I would think flying would be way cheaper than driving, depending on what kind of car you have. I know when pricing out how much it would be now to drive round trip from WDW (with a chevy equinox) it is around $500 just for gas. And there is no way we would drive straight thru, so add in another $150 for hotels, and then there is still a bit of money for munchies and meals.

I know from Grand Rapids I can still find flights in to MCO for around $220 a person. So if we only had 2 people we would save around $280 by flying. No way would I trade that for 20+hours in the car, and all of the stress you get when driving. Not to mention, flying is safer than driving anyway.

We haven't drove down to Florida for years, and I really hope I never have to again! Even if the ride down is kind of fun (you are excited, and ready to go) the ride how is horrible. You are tried out from your trip, and just want to get home already! I would much rather sit and relax at the airport for a while, then board a plane, and be at Orlando in 2/12 hours. Happy, well rested, and ready to tackle the parks!:) And arrive home the same way. Happy and well rested.

With only 2 people I would think flying would be way cheaper than driving, depending on what kind of car you have. I know when pricing out how much it would be now to drive round trip from WDW (with a chevy equinox) it is around $500 just for gas. And there is no way we would drive straight thru, so add in another $150 for hotels, and then there is still a bit of money for munchies and meals.

I know from Grand Rapids I can still find flights in to MCO for around $220 a person. So if we only had 2 people we would save around $280 by flying. No way would I trade that for 20+hours in the car, and all of the stress you get when driving. Not to mention, flying is safer than driving anyway.

We haven't drove down to Florida for years, and I really hope I never have to again! Even if the ride down is kind of fun (you are excited, and ready to go) the ride how is horrible. You are tried out from your trip, and just want to get home already! I would much rather sit and relax at the airport for a while, then board a plane, and be at Orlando in 2/12 hours. Happy, well rested, and ready to tackle the parks!:) And arrive home the same way. Happy and well rested.

Well, really if it's 20+ hours each way, then RT is 40+ hours. :sick:
I'm with you, thanks but no thanks.
Of course everyone has their own reasons why they travel as they do. :goodvibes

There are pros & cons for both. I prefer to fly because driving is so stressful. Even when people factor in having to arrive at the aiport 2 hours in advance, it's still not nearly as stressful as driving.

5.5 hours of driving would probably put us in VA somewhere.

We've all done airport security enough times that it's easy. My kids usually have their shoes off before I do.

I would fly to PHL if I could! :goodvibes

jmho!

I hear you on the flying to PHL. We drove last year, and I was so tired when we got there. It was the first time in a few years that I didn't go to the park as soon as we arrived. Personally, I prefer to fly. I like to get there in as little time as possible. Even with the allure of bringing extra stuff when you drive, I will pass. I am pretty much a pro at packing, and I weigh my bags at home so there are no surprises at the airport.

I would drive again, if I had three (3) weeks. I like Soarin over Orlando!:woohoo:

I hear you on the flying to PHL. We drove last year, and I was so tired when we got there. It was the first time in a few years that I didn't go to the park as soon as we arrived. Personally, I prefer to fly. I like to get there in as little time as possible. Even with the allure of bringing extra stuff when you drive, I will pass. I am pretty much a pro at packing, and I weigh my bags at home so there are no surprises at the airport.
I would drive again, if I had three (3) weeks. I like Soarin over Orlando!:woohoo:

I got this with a 30% off coupon and free shipping:
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/lug...is+N+Clark+Balanzza+Digital+Luggage+Scale.jsp

easy peasy!

We are driving down the 2nd full week of June from Louisiana. But we are drive down in our new Solera Motorhome. Plan to drive most of the way and then just stop at a truckstop or somewhere for the night in the camper.

We are in the process of making the same decision for our September WDW/Cruise trip, and we would be leaving from North Raleigh. I say drive, DH is not crazy about the idea. I figure gas is going to run less than $200, then we would have parking at Port Canaveral.

If we fly, SW would be around $440, then a rental from MCO to resort to PC, then transportation again from PC back to MCO, plus tips at airport and to shuttle drivers.

Driving makes sense to me, it's just getting in the car after the cruise and making that drive back that is the buzz kill.

We are in the process of making the same decision for our September WDW/Cruise trip, and we would be leaving from North Raleigh. I say drive, DH is not crazy about the idea. I figure gas is going to run less than $200, then we would have parking at Port Canaveral.

If we fly, SW would be around $440, then a rental from MCO to resort to PC, then transportation again from PC back to MCO, plus tips at airport and to shuttle drivers.

Driving makes sense to me, it's just getting in the car after the cruise and making that drive back that is the buzz kill.

Would it save any $ to rent a car near home,make it a one way rental, drop it off off at the port pre cruise, then fly home? It's always the drive home that is such a drag.

Would it save any $ to rent a car near home,make it a one way rental, drop it off off at the port pre cruise, then fly home? It's always the drive home that is such a drag.

I actually thought of this for our trip but don't even want to bring it up to DH...he'd give me that "you're kidding" look. I think it sounds like a good idea. The drive home is just horrible.

I actually thought of this for our trip but don't even want to bring it up to DH...he'd give me that "you're kidding" look. I think it sounds like a good idea. The drive home is just horrible.

I think it's a great compromise between the cost of flying and the utter drag & huge amount of time of driving. Why not just price a one way car rental and see how much, then present the idea to your dh? It might just be so expensive that you don't want to do it either or maybe a great price and he'll like it. There are lots of car rental companies near the port: Budget, Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, & Dollar.
This way there's no paying for parking at port or paying to get from MCO to port.
If you fly a participating airline & take DCL bus back to MCO, you can use their free Onboard Check In. They deliver your boarding passes & luggage tags to your cabin the last full day of the cruise. Then put your tagged luggage outside your door the last night and you don't see or touch it until you arrive at your home airport. Just hop on the DCL bus, BPs in hand and head to your gate. It's so ultra convenient, we make sure to fly home on a participating airline just to use it. :cloud9: There are some limitations for flight times so be sure to check with DCL for rules before booking air if you're interested.

Checked into that too, and it appears that most car rental agencies do not like having one-ways between NC and Port Canaveral. For the ones that will even let you do that, they will not offer unlimited mileage, so the one-way car rental rate is not much less than the round trip airfare.

Driving our own vehicle is still turning out to be the cheapest option. Not sure I mentioned that our drive is about 9 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter