need extra magic

tatsmx

Mouseketeer
hi! I am kind of heartbroken we can't afford to stay onsite. this will be our first Disney trip. we will be staying at the fairfield inn across the street. any ideas how can I make my DD4 stay more magical in a good neighbor hotel??

hi! I am kind of heartbroken we can't afford to stay onsite. this will be our first Disney trip. we will be staying at the fairfield inn across the street. any ideas how can I make my DD4 stay more magical in a good neighbor hotel??

I'm sorry it's not going to work out for you to stay on site this time:(.

However, we've stayed at the Fairfield Inn, and found it to be a nice place---we liked the light Disney theming they do in the rooms, and the not too long walk over to the Parks.

Maybe, with the money you will be saving, you could indulge in a little something extra, like a taking your DD to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, or Build a Bear Workshop in Downtown Disney, eating at Blue Bayou, taking a tour, etc.?

Don't worry about not being on site---you can still have a wonderful time--- we find it's mostly in the attitude/expectations you take with you!::yes::

Don't worry about not being on site---you can still have a wonderful time--- we find it's mostly in the attitude/expectations you take with you!::yes::
THIS!

She is 4. How she responds will depend on you. She is at DISNEYLAND. She will be seeing her favorite characters and riding her favorite rides. My kids didn't care where we were staying, they just wanted to be at Disneyland.

My DD4 was 4 when we went in September. She had no clue about staying on site vs off. We stayed offsite. I second BBB if you can swing it. We brought a dress from home and did the crown package I believe, $60. She could not stop talking about her makeover in the castle the whole trip.

Spend more time in the parks and DTD, and less time at the hotel and you wont really notice.

Totally agree! We have a great time no matter where we stay =) and I've always heard wonderful things about the Fairfield Inn.

Maybe you could get her some items at your local Disneystore ahead of time to surprise her with in your room? I also saw a ton of Disney stuff at my local Dollar Tree that was Disney related. My boys are THRILLED with the glow sticks and bracelets at the dollar store on our trips!

Have a great time!!

tatsmx said:
hi! I am kind of heartbroken we can't afford to stay onsite. this will e our first Disney trip. we will be staying at the fairfield inn across the street. any ideas how can I make my DD4 stay more magical in a good neighbor hotel??

We stayed here on our first trip together 2 years ago and it was spectacular! It was my DH birthday so I ordered him a birthday basket which Disney delivered to the front desk. That's one idea you might want to look into.

I loved staying here and would do it again anytime we went and stayed off site. You still feel like you're in the bubble, at least we did.

The Fairfield in is all decked out in disney decorations. From the moment you walk into the lobby, all the way up to your room there are Disney pictures all through the hotel. There is a little sitting area in the lobby playing disney shows/movies. Just be happy to be going to the happiest place on earth.

I will never understand people when they say there is less magic if you dont stay onsite. I have never and probably will never stay onsite. I dont think my trips are any less fun or magical then anyone elses. As soon as I get there, I am filled with excitement and Disney magic whether I'm in the parks or in my offsite hotel room. I am on vacation.... why wouldn't I be happy?

THIS!

She is 4. How she responds will depend on you. She is at DISNEYLAND. She will be seeing her favorite characters and riding her favorite rides. My kids didn't care where we were staying, they just wanted to be at Disneyland.

Agree. A 4 year old doesn't care about the hotel, it is just a place to sleep. And after a day at Disney they are so exhausted it won't matter!

That said, if I wanted to make a magical trip for a 4 year old girl, and if I were on a budget...

I would frequent EBay to pick up a good quality but new-to-you Princess dress if that's something she would enjoy wearing in the park. Cast members will call her "Princess" all day.

Make reservations for character meals to meet all the characters you can.

Get character outfits or t-shirts from places like WalMart or Target to wear in the parks.

Start picking things up now like glow sticks, tiny hand-held fans, etc. Much cheaper to buy at home.

Get tiny Disney stuffed animals and take them with you. Each day, when you get back to the room in the evening, wait till she is in the bath or at the pool with the other parent and sneak back to the room and put a new friend in a silly spot.

Have fun! She'll enjoy it no matter what hotel you are in. ::yes::

I wanted to add.... We brought surprise packages from home that our DDs (1 and 4) woke up to the first morning. Reusable disney bags filled with glow sticks, Disney wash cloths from the dollar store, a lullaby sound Minnie for baby and a light up princess wand and tiara for my older one. Plus matching Minnie sweatshirts with their names embroidered on them and autograph books. It was a special delivery from Tinkerbell and my DD4 was over the moon. Much cheaper than buying in the parks and they loved it!

thank you so much!!! makes me feel better :) we just started a fund can for disney for DD. we are planning on doing a countdown chart. plus DH will be leaving a gift *from mickey* in the room while we visit downtown disney (mostly shirts and pj's). I guess I just want this trip to be extra especial.

these are all great ideas!! love the stuffed animals on the beds and the glow sticks!!! i guess tinkerbell will leave little gifts every day!!! :)

thank you so much!!! makes me feel better :) we just started a fund can for disney for DD. we are planning on doing a countdown chart. plus DH will be leaving a gift *from mickey* in the room while we visit downtown disney (mostly shirts and pj's). I guess I just want this trip to be extra especial.

This is a link to an awesome count down chain. https://www.getawaytoday.com/blogs/2013/11/19/Disneyland-Vacation-Countdown-Chain-Tutorial It has the templates and everything. We are going in June and we made the minni mouse one. All my kids are loving taking off one off each day. We are also staying at the Fairfield Inn and no matter where we are we are together at the happiest place on earth. Have a great trip.

We often stay off site and have a great time when we do. On our on-site trips, we spend more time at the resort. On off-site trips, we live in the parks and return to the hotel to shower and sleep! So no worries, you'll have a time to remember.

I wanted to add.... We brought surprise packages from home that our DDs (1 and 4) woke up to the first morning. Reusable disney bags filled with glow sticks, Disney wash cloths from the dollar store, a lullaby sound Minnie for baby and a light up princess wand and tiara for my older one. Plus matching Minnie sweatshirts with their names embroidered on them and autograph books. It was a special delivery from Tinkerbell and my DD4 was over the moon. Much cheaper than buying in the parks and they loved it!

I was going to say this! I do this every trip. Depends on other factors on how big the gifts are (last time was near Christmas, so they got Sophia dresses rather than lots of items since we were so close to a time when they would get a lot of stuff), but I always do a little something. I keep an eye on Disneystore sales through the months leading up as well as Target dollar store section items. Ours are usually from Mickey, but with DD2 on a Tink kick, I might make this next trip's gifts from Tink! I think I'll bring "fairy dust" with me that Tink will leave behind.

When we arrive late, the gifts are waiting for them in the morning. If we get there in the afternoon/early evening, I zip up while my DH takes them to get our luggage and put the gifts in the room.

Also, we have never stayed onsite at DLR (although we do at WDW). My girls 1, don't know, and 2, don't care. We are there to see Disney!!! So much fun!! Who cares where we sleep?! :hyper:

I have done 7 Disney trips and never stayed on site... would I like to? Yup.
can I afford it?? nope..
Do I worry about it?? Not one bit..
Its all in your attitude... If I go and only focus on not staying at a Disney hotel then I would have a crappy time.. But I go with the attitude that wow Im at Disneyland again, and that's awesome..

I had friends stay at PP last week and hated it.. so sometimes staying onsite is not what its cracked up to be....

I was going to say this! I do this every trip. Depends on other factors on how big the gifts are (last time was near Christmas, so they got Sophia dresses rather than lots of items since we were so close to a time when they would get a lot of stuff), but I always do a little something. I keep an eye on Disneystore sales through the months leading up as well as Target dollar store section items. Ours are usually from Mickey, but with DD2 on a Tink kick, I might make this next trip's gifts from Tink! I think I'll bring "fairy dust" with me that Tink will leave behind.

When we arrive late, the gifts are waiting for them in the morning. If we get there in the afternoon/early evening, I zip up while my DH takes them to get our luggage and put the gifts in the room.

Also, we have never stayed onsite at DLR (although we do at WDW). My girls 1, don't know, and 2, don't care. We are there to see Disney!!! So much fun!! Who cares where we sleep?! :hyper:

We do presents from Tinkerbell as well. She leaves them one or two items every morning with a note and pixie dust (written in green ink and I'll spread some green glitter on their pillows or where I leave the gifts.)

Past ideas: dollar store has lots of little Disney related items. Now that the are older, I'm less a fan of the dollar store stuff, though.

Candy (this is a real treat since the get on little of it at home.) I've also found some Disney Pez dispensers.

Princess dress/nightgown - bought beforehand - look for discounts

Stuffed animals

Recently, I've ended our stay with a new pin for each purl commemorating what was special on our stay.

We have stayed on-site many times. I consider it extremely expensive.
We enjoy going, in order to make at least an annual trip we now stay off site.

The grandkids would rather go once a year and have no problem staying off-site.

For the last several trips we have booked at the DI&S. It's an easy walk to the parks and it's easy on the budget. When I have all the grandkids tagging along, I can get a C-1 or C-2 room and there's room for everyone.

Make your plans and have a nice trip. I think you'll be surprised at the volume of people along with you staying on Harbor.

Geemo

I agree with the Dissers your DD is so young she wont even know. We have taken our kids many times & never stayed onsite as its too expensive for the 5 of us. Its better for us to get a suite offsite & do extras that make them experience the magic. Like everytime we go they are allowed to go to the sweet shop in critter county & pick out what they want. Last time we went to Ghiradelli & had sundaes, what ever they wanted & they loved it!! :-) our boys have stayed with their grandma at the DL Hotel & not once have asked us why arent we staying onsite. They are just happy to stay in a hotel because its fun.

The vast majority of guests stay offsite and have a great time, so don't feel like you're missing out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter