Need Ebay Advice

richmond282

Trumpet players don't have egos, we're just better
I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere with the solution to my problem, but I couldn't find it in a search. So here goes.

I posted a new in box item on Ebay. The person that won the item has only 1 or 2 stars. She didn't pay for a week. I sent a message to her as ebay requires we do for non-payment. She finally paid 8 days after winning the item. She does not have a paypal account (according to paypal) but somehow paid with a credit card or something through paypal.

So I shipped the item 2 weeks ago. I did not here a word about it. Today I receive a nasty email from her saying the item I sent her was in a opened box, it was scratched up, and doesn't work. She is demanding a refund. My item listing specifically states "No Refunds."

Now I know enough from reading other posts that ebay usually sides with the buyer and just takes their word that the item was not as described. Now here's my question. Does the buyer have to show proof that they have returned the item to me before ebay makes me refund the $? I strongly think she won't return it. Also, since she doesn't have a paypal account, can she still file a claim through them? Doesn't she only have 30 days from the time the listing ended to request a refund (which I will not issue ontil I receive the supposedly defective item)?

My last question is how do I block a buyer so I don't have to deal with this idiot any more?

I have had Paypal refund several buyers that bought brand new items and just didn't know how to work them! It's very frustrating, when I would get them back and find out they worked just fine. They do have to send it back though. Do a search on Ebay and they will tell you how to block the bidder, but chances are they won't buy from you again anyway.

To block your buyer, click on 'Sitemap' at the bottom of, I believe, every page. You will need your buyers ID. When the sitemap comes in, look under the heading 'Sell'. Click on 'Block Bidder/Buyer List'. On the next page, 'Buyer/Bidder Management' Click on the link 'Add an eBay user to my Blocked Bidder/Buyer List'. Add the buyers ID and click 'Submit'.
Good luck.

To block your buyer, click on 'Sitemap' at the bottom of, I believe, every page. You will need your buyers ID. When the sitemap comes in, look under the heading 'Sell'. Click on 'Block Bidder/Buyer List'. On the next page, 'Buyer/Bidder Management' Click on the link 'Add an eBay user to my Blocked Bidder/Buyer List'. Add the buyers ID and click 'Submit'.
Good luck.

Thank you. I'm sure this person wouldn't buy from me again anyway, but I just want to be sure.

I had a similiar situation happen to me. I clearly state on my auction page "Please ask questions prior to bidding as all sales are final" or something to that affect.

Anyway, I didn't feel like going through all the bull so I offered either a partial refund if she wanted to keep the supposed damaged item or return it for a full refund. She decided to return it and I did not refund until I received it in the mail. P.S. once I received it the item was perfectly fine! :mad:

IMHO sometimes it's just better to please the buyer rather than to ruin my 100% feedback and lose future buyers. Hope this helps and good luck whatever you do! Also, I believe you can block buyers that have little or no feedback.

I had a similiar situation happen to me. I clearly state on my auction page "Please ask questions prior to bidding as all sales are final" or something to that affect.

Don't ever make the mistake of asking for help on an ebay forum with that line in any of your listings. They're really harsh on that and will flame away. As it was pointed out to me long ago, if you were paid by paypal no sale is ever final.

After losing money to cc chargebacks, I now offer a no questions asked return policy. I've only had a handful of things returned in ten years now but I'd much rather get my item back and *hopefully* be able to relist it, than to lose both the $$ and the item too after they call their cc company and initiate a chargeback - PLUS get a neg too b/c they're ticked off... :headache:

Do not issue a refund until the buyer returns the item. Paypal will require that.

Send a nice email saying you will be happy to refund upon return of the item, per Paypal regulations. Give her the address and just wait.

But yes, there is no such thing as NO REFUNDS on ebay anymore, so you might as well take that out of your listing.

And yes, the boards will flame you.

Do not issue a refund until the buyer returns the item. Paypal will require that.

Send a nice email saying you will be happy to refund upon return of the item, per Paypal regulations. Give her the address and just wait.

But yes, there is no such thing as NO REFUNDS on ebay anymore, so you might as well take that out of your listing.

Thanks for the advice. I was going to issue a refund if I get the item back, because it's just not worth the fight. I mostly was wondering about the time frame as I couldn't find that info on ebay anywhere.

When you list an item on ebay, there is actually a section for refunds with a drop down choice of "yes" or "no". I have never changed the choice I put in a long time ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter