Need dog advice *GSD* Update! Photos post #51

German Shepherd dogs were bred to herd sheep. They are considered a working dog. Due to their intelligence and ability to respond well to training they are often used for purposes like K-9 dogs or other uses but that wasn't the intent of the breed originally. Considering how intelligent and responsive they are I would be more comfortable with such a breed vs another but I am biased as I had the most wonderful GSD growing up. He was amazing and the best dog I have ever had as a companion to date.
They are also very task forcused, and can be aggressive. I had a childhood friend who required several hundred stiches and a couple of reconstrutive surgeries when we were about 6 because the Shepard they had since he was born turned on him.

It went pretty well....DD8 went right up to him....slowly, and offered a hand to him, and he nudged her and she pet him on his back. He was wagging his tail the whole time. DS6 was afraid of him and backed away and went inside, he has been watching him through the glass door, and says he will "meet him" today.

Our neighbors came over...3 at one time and sat on my front porch and met him. They love dogs, and they were all petting him, and he was loving it, wagging his tail and actually tried to sit in one of my neighbor's lap.

We are taking him to the vet today, and sorry I didn't get around to the picture yesterday...we were outside most of the day, playing with the dog. I will get to the picture today hopefully!

We finally named him, DS is obsessed with StarWars, so we were gonna call him Sky for Skywalker, but decided on Luke. Now this is sad. He is like somewhere around 2 years old, and has never had a name. I don't know if the owners called him "hey you" or what!?

The one thing I noticed about him is how observant he is....yesterday while we were in the yard he heard every squirrel in the woods, every bark in the distance( which is normal for a dog, I know) but then he started watching planes go overhead, and following the trail lines from a plane, I have never seen a dog do that!

Overall, it went well, but I wish that my son would have not been so afraid, but I will let him meet Luke when he is ready. We can afford to do that since Luke is still sleeping in the garage, and hasn't taken over the house yet.

I am actually thinking of not letting him in the house til he gets some training. He seems comfy in the garage, and since it isn't hot out yet, he is probably fine, but I just worry since I am used to having indoor dogs.

I'm happy for your family and for Luke. Thanks for being willing to take the time for him. I hope it works out for all of you!

They are also very task forcused, and can be aggressive. I had a childhood friend who required several hundred stiches and a couple of reconstrutive surgeries when we were about 6 because the Shepard they had since he was born turned on him.

It can happen with any breed of dog. My friends beagle turned on her little brother when he was about 10 or 11 and attacked him.

It's ok that you're uncomfortable with unknown dogs around your children. Others are comfortable trying to train the dogs to see if they are fine with kids. The OP would never leave her kids unsupervised with this dog, especially before they know what kind of temperment he has.

It can happen with any breed of dog. My friends beagle turned on her little brother when he was about 10 or 11 and attacked him.

It's ok that you're uncomfortable with unknown dogs around your children. Others are comfortable trying to train the dogs to see if they are fine with kids. The OP would never leave her kids unsupervised with this dog, especially before they know what kind of temperment he has.
I know. I was responding to the posters who seem to be saying that they cannot see a potential for problem with an older dog, and have a problem with those of us not willing to adopt an older dog.

Another update....

Just got back from the vet with Luke. He was very nervous going in the building and to the exam room. He got blood drawn, vaccines given and all that good stuff, and he was on his best behavior. He didn't try to resist or bite anyone, the staff seemed to think his personality was really good.

Now for the bad...He has heartworms. I guess I should have expected it, coming from his situation. It's expensive to treat:sad2:The Dr says they caught it early, and tomorrow he starts antibiotics. He gets that for a couple weeks I think, and then the actual treatment begins, which after the treatment comes the worst part....He has to be still and calm for a month. Please tell me how that is possible:confused3

He looks at me with those eyes and I just know its worth it. So....yet another chapter in the rescue dog saga!

Yes, this is true, my kids will absolutely not be left alone with the Dog....I don't let them walk up to strange dogs at the park, and this is no different. I don't know this dog, but over time, we will.

While Heartworm is not good, it's also not the death sentence that it once was. You're actually in a good situation in that he's used to being outside and/or crated. It would be much harder to keep a dog quiet that was used to being inside and loose with his family all the time. My DF's GSD had joint surgery last year that required her to keep him crated and hand walked for a few months, and it wasn't easy, but she got it done. Your vet should have ideas on how to keep him quiet and entertained. It will definitely give you lots of time to bond.

Good luck, and good for you for sticking with him!

Terri

As a fellow German shepherd lover I'm glad Luke is working out well in your family. My shepherd gets along great with the cats and my yorkie, it sounds like you're doing things right to introduce him to your little ones.

So did your DS "meet" the new dog today?

Can I offer a suggestion? This is something that I figured out, sort of by accident. A GSD is probably pretty close in hieght to "right in your DS's face".
This is REALLY scary to kids. So - make sure that your new puppy is in a sit or laying down when DS comes over to say hello.

I hope it doesn't take long before DS makes a new friend.

And pics...we are all waiting for pics!

DSC03374.jpg

DSC03373.jpg

Here he is...Luke! I'm just excited I figured out out how to post a photo!

So did your DS "meet" the new dog today?

Can I offer a suggestion? This is something that I figured out, sort of by accident. A GSD is probably pretty close in hieght to "right in your DS's face".
This is REALLY scary to kids. So - make sure that your new puppy is in a sit or laying down when DS comes over to say hello.

I hope it doesn't take long before DS makes a new friend.

And pics...we are all waiting for pics!

No, they haven't met yet! DS wants to talk to him through the glass door, but he doesn't want to get near him yet. This is great advice though! I actually thought of this today, DS is just a little over eye level to Luke, so I can see how he is scared. I will try having DH sitting in the yard with Luke so maybe DS will be more confident to approach him. And I finally posted pics!

DSC03374.jpg

DSC03373.jpg

Oh, wow, he is a beauty! :lovestruc And he looks like a sweetie too!

Thanks for posting the pics! (For some reason I thought he was white!)

I had the feeling he'd have heartworm. Poor boy was really neglected. :guilty:

Get your little boy playing ball with him! They will love eachother soon enough! Some day that dog is going to be so happy to have a boy who will play with him once they get used to eachother...

Pea, I mentioned that our last shepherd was white...

I will try to get DS to play ball with him( Luke already has been slobbering on 3 tennis balls) I can tell he really wants to play with him, he is still really nervous. He literally sits at my glass door and tells Luke he is gonna play with him soon, but he just can't bring himself to approach him! Baby steps I guess.

DSC03374.jpg

DSC03373.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! The FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, sorry. Cooing over. OP, you've done a wonderful thing and it sounds like you're getting a GREAT dog out of the deal. Congrats and good luck with the training!

I think we humans overrate these "meetings" sometimes and then we go about it the wrong way as well.

Humans like face to face meetings, to shake hands, hug, kiss, whatever.

Dogs aren't like that. Face to face, eye contact, that type of thing can be threatening in a dog world to some dogs.

It's not something I ever gave much thought to until I wound up with a dog that didn't like other dogs. Let me say that face to face dog introductions don't work well in her world.

The way we adapted was to - instead of face offs - simply walk together. At the same time, on leashes, not touching. Slowly, on your terms, the dogs get to sniff eachother while walking. (Dog does not pull you over, you allow dog to go over.) Within a few minutes, it's generally fine once the dogs realize there's no threat. Of course it's also best to do this on territory neutral to both.

With the Chi, just because of his size being so small and vulnerable, I'd probably hold him for a while on said walk. Making sure the person holding the Shepherd was firm with him and did NOT let him over to the Chi at first, just keep walking for a good amount of time. (There is a responsibility here with the Chi also and that is to also have good behavior and not antagonize the Shepherd ;) so I wouldn't allow that to happen either.) Once everyone's walking and behaving then I might stop or slow (in this case) and while holding the Chi let the Shepherd sniff him from behind, and if they're safe, then they could be introduced face to face, feeling out whether that would be best again by walking or perhaps by still holding. I say feeling out because it depends on how everyone's behaving. If there's snarling just keep walking and of course correct. Rinse and repeat. You have to be stong leaders with both of these dogs and not either one behave badly.

A big part of training with a German Shepherd is just helping them learn that "nothing bad is going to happen". They do have a tendency to take matters into their own hands if their leader doesn't, and that's when there can be problems. Training involves exposing them to various situations while the leader is in control and teaching them that nothing bad is going to happen. With repetition this becomes a trust issue: they trust that things will go well because they have lots of experience seeing things happen that way with you. What it boils down to is: they don't have to "act" because they know you will. Which is really why they say it's so important with this type of dog to be trained and socialized from the beginning.

But I do think that a stable tempered German Shepherd is like an open book and is ready and willing to learn anytime with the right person or people and can absolutely learn how to be a great companion. Absolutely. But I also think it's about not getting into bad habits as well, because a dog who's had no training or socialization has made his own rules and boundaries and taught himself (the plane trail story brought tears to my eyes thinking that's all he had to do out there) and you're not exactly sure what he's thinking. Now there could be a little confusion learning if things aren't clear and consistent at all times. It's all about developing communication and trust between you and the dog.

I think you have a really great opportunity to take this duckling and make him into a swan! :goodvibes It's great that a trainer is coming out, and if you don't have it already, pick up or order a copy of Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson. They also have other books and I believe one is about adopting dogs from a shelter.

As for the introduction with your son, the walking method also works great for that as well. It is very common for children to be a little intimidated with a dog of this size and stature. On the walk, have your son bring a tennis or soccer ball. When he is comfortable, let him start throwing it for the dog. The dog will quickly learn that this is a fun game with him. And take it from there. Your son will probably still be anxious so make sure dog doesn't inadvertently knock him over (that happened to us once with our neice and it literally knocked the wind out of her) but continue the games in your yard and get him holding the leash, etc.

Please keep us updated!

What Pea-n-me said :thumbsup2!

I know not everyone is a Dog Whisperer fan, but he's done a great job this season incorporating kids into the program, and they all walk with their dog (and often part of his pack) as part of the rehabilitation process. Obviously, he's overseeing them, but it's amazing how the child becomes the leader through his/her body language and calmness.

And he's so BEAUTIFUL, have we all slobbered over him enough:love:?

Terri

I think we humans overrate these "meetings" sometimes and then we go about it the wrong way as well.

Humans like face to face meetings, to shake hands, hug, kiss, whatever.

Dogs aren't like that. Face to face, eye contact, that type of thing can be threatening in a dog world to some dogs.

It's not something I ever gave much thought to until I wound up with a dog that didn't like other dogs. Let me say that face to face dog introductions don't work well in her world.

The way we adapted was to - instead of face offs - simply walk together. At the same time, on leashes, not touching. Slowly, on your terms, the dogs get to sniff eachother while walking. (Dog does not pull you over, you allow dog to go over.) Within a few minutes, it's generally fine once the dogs realize there's no threat. Of course it's also best to do this on territory neutral to both.

With the Chi, just because of his size being so small and vulnerable, I'd probably hold him for a while on said walk. Making sure the person holding the Shepherd was firm with him and did NOT let him over to the Chi at first, just keep walking for a good amount of time. (There is a responsibility here with the Chi also and that is to also have good behavior and not antagonize the Shepherd ;) so I wouldn't allow that to happen either.) Once everyone's walking and behaving then I might stop or slow (in this case) and while holding the Chi let the Shepherd sniff him from behind, and if they're safe, then they could be introduced face to face, feeling out whether that would be best again by walking or perhaps by still holding. I say feeling out because it depends on how everyone's behaving. If there's snarling just keep walking and of course correct. Rinse and repeat. You have to be stong leaders with both of these dogs and not either one behave badly.

A big part of training with a German Shepherd is just helping them learn that "nothing bad is going to happen". They do have a tendency to take matters into their own hands if their leader doesn't, and that's when there can be problems. Training involves exposing them to various situations while the leader is in control and teaching them that nothing bad is going to happen. With repetition this becomes a trust issue: they trust that things will go well because they have lots of experience seeing things happen that way with you. What it boils down to is: they don't have to "act" because they know you will. Which is really why they say it's so important with this type of dog to be trained and socialized from the beginning.

But I do think that a stable tempered German Shepherd is like an open book and is ready and willing to learn anytime with the right person or people and can absolutely learn how to be a great companion. Absolutely. But I also think it's about not getting into bad habits as well, because a dog who's had no training or socialization has made his own rules and boundaries and taught himself (the plane trail story brought tears to my eyes thinking that's all he had to do out there) and you're not exactly sure what he's thinking. Now there could be a little confusion learning if things aren't clear and consistent at all times. It's all about developing communication and trust between you and the dog.

I think you have a really great opportunity to take this duckling and make him into a swan! :goodvibes It's great that a trainer is coming out, and if you don't have it already, pick up or order a copy of Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson. They also have other books and I believe one is about adopting dogs from a shelter.

As for the introduction with your son, the walking method also works great for that as well. It is very common for children to be a little intimidated with a dog of this size and stature. On the walk, have your son bring a tennis or soccer ball. When he is comfortable, let him start throwing it for the dog. The dog will quickly learn that this is a fun game with him. And take it from there. Your son will probably still be anxious so make sure dog doesn't inadvertently knock him over (that happened to us once with our neice and it literally knocked the wind out of her) but continue the games in your yard and get him holding the leash, etc.

Please keep us updated!

You are awesome, taking all this time to give your doggie wisdom:goodvibes

I never would have thought of letting Luke sniff my chi( Wally) from behind! They did get pretty close last night, DH was holding Lukes leash and I was holding Wally. They were both just looking at each other and whining, and Wally was shaking like a leaf, of course:laughing: But again, no barking.

The only time I have heard him bark is when I put him in his crate, and walked towards the door and he let out one big sad crying bark, it was like he was saying "come back"!

I'm seeing him come out of his shell more, he is bouncing around more wagging his tail when he knows we are going for a walk or it's time to eat. I guess it's just neat to see a dog who seems to appreciate everything that is happening to him. My other pups just sort of expected it:snooty:because they were spoiled.

The only thing about the trainer is, it will have to wait til after the heartworm treatments, because he has to be still and calm, so I'm thinking it could be May before we actually have the trainer come out. Meanwhile, I will definitely be picking up the book you mentioned!

Thanks again for all the amazing advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter