Need dog advice *GSD* Update! Photos post #51

StarLight StarBright

DIS Veteran
DH recently tells me he wants a GSD puppy for his birthday. I began searching online. About 3 hours ago, I was online looking for a puppy when he calls me on his cell. He asks me to come outside to the driveway. I go out there and he says" I've been bad" I look in the car and there in the back seat is a full grown GSD!

Now for the backstory.....We had to put down our White GSD in Sept '10 when he was 11 due to Hip Dysplasia.We were devastated. He was our baby, we had him since he was about 8 weeks old. Since then, we have added a chihuahua to our family. We also have two cats. They are all inside.

Now, while I had no problem adding a puppy to our family, I became extremely nervous when thinking about this grown dog. I've never adopted an adult dog. I've always had my dogs as puppies, and watched their personalities develop, and really felt like I knew and trusted them. This dog is huge, and I don't know it....I'm worried for my kids and my animals. Trust me, I want to love it. I want to make sure he will be good around my kids and other animals, and not sure how to go about introducing them all.

What I do know is that the dog is about 2 years old, he has been kept in a pen in a backyard for his whole life. His owner lost his job, and was preparing to take him to the pound due to the cost of food, and also the fact that he barks alot at other dogs.

Also, since he is used to being outside, it wasn't easy getting him in the garage, but I am not having an outside dog. He is currently in the garage in a huge crate we had for our other GSD.

Our GSD was amazing, the best dog. He loved my kids. He even faced down a coyote in our backyard to keep us safe. I know this new dog is well....a new dog, but I so want him to be like our old one. I guess I just need some advice, or maybe just stories of how it was for others adopting an adult dog......Thanks!!!:)

The dog whisperer just did an article on adopting older dogs and he said one of the first things you are suppose to do is take him for an hour walk and really tire him out. Then you are suppose to pit him in his crate and call the crate his home. He will be looking for guidance from you and determine who the alpha is, which is you. I read the link on CNN. and on your walk make sure you are the leader. Your dog should heal at all times with you and if he goes out ahead, stop and make three small jerks to the leash, till your dog stops and looks at you and proceed your walk.

We have introduced several adult dogs into our home. Two of them were a GSD and a lab/GSD. Both of them were use to other dogs. Since you have a crate, I would bring that into the house for introduction purposes. Since he spent so much time outside, he probably isn't well socialized.

Since you have owned a GSD, you know the personality. We had a dachshund that also spent most of his life outside. He was really shy for months. It took a lot of work to get him out of his shell. Once he was out of his shell, he was a wonderful dog. I still miss him.

I know this new dog is well....a new dog, but I so want him to be like our old one.

You have every right to be concerned about adding a new dog into your family.

This dog has his own personality, his own quirks, you can't compare him to the beloved dog you lost. It isn't fair to either of you. Is this dog trained in any way? You might start with some basic obedience classes, to help the dog and to help you bond with it. Good luck.

I assume GSD means German Shepard? What's the D for? Dog?

I would never adopt an adult dog. But that's just me. Too much at risk.

I guess I'm on the side of preferring to adopt adult dogs. Puppies are adorable but a LOT of work. Adult dogs can still adapt with a little time and attention.

I'd only worry about aggression toward other pets (since he's been kept penned up outside). Be cautious and introduce him into the family slowly.

I normally feel this way too....when DH first said he wanted one, I naturally thought puppy. I don't know....I definitely have no intention of putting my kids or other pets in harms way, I will be introducing them very slowly...and the dog will be leashed. DH says we will take baby steps. But at the same time when he jumped out of the car today, and I first saw him, and DH said he was pretty much on his way to the pound, I don't want to give up on him either.

The dog whisperer just did an article on adopting older dogs and he said one of the first things you are suppose to do is take him for an hour walk and really tire him out. Then you are suppose to pit him in his crate and call the crate his home. He will be looking for guidance from you and determine who the alpha is, which is you. I read the link on CNN. and on your walk make sure you are the leader. Your dog should heal at all times with you and if he goes out ahead, stop and make three small jerks to the leash, till your dog stops and looks at you and proceed your walk.

I'm gonna look this up, Thanks! This is kinda reassuring that you posted this, because after DH brought him home, he took him for a long walk in the woods and then brought him home and put him in his crate. So, wow! We did something right:goodvibes

That is absolutely tragic and uneducated. Seriously I spent a lot of time as a shelter volunteer and it is this mentality that really bugs me and results in a lot of absolutely amazing dogs/cats being put down. Having a dog as a puppy doesn't mean you will not have issues or problems.

I personally don't get puppies. I flat out refuse to go to any breeder, pet store or puppy mill. All of my pets (in adulthood) are shelter animals adopted at 1 or more years old.

Our current dog came to us at 4 years old..he did come from family so I "knew" him but all the same there is nothing so risky about adopting an adult dog that people should refuse to do it.

I can totally understand the difficulty in wanting the dog to be your old dog. I had a beloved white GSD growing up myself. To this day I can not get another GSD because I know will expect them to be just like him and that isn't fair. It sounds like you are still (understandably) grieving for your previous baby and you just need to work out your feelings there. Try to remind yourself they are not the same dog and they will be different and different isn't always bad :)

I would normally suggest you have a "meet and greet" with the dog and your entire family (human and any animals in the home) to make sure everyone gets on OK but the boat has sailed there. Enroll in some basic dog training classes, make sure children/dog are NEVER left alone (good practice even for a long time family pet but you need to be extra diligent with a new dog you don't know yet). Gently introduce the other family pets to him..you can start by showing them items with scent on them, then have the pet brought into the room while the new dog is leashed and held by someone else..sniffing..etc.

Anything you can find out and duplicate from his previous routine will help him adjust. What food did he eat? Is he housetrained? What was the sleeping arrangement (crated?, had a dog bed?, stayed in a certain room/area?..etc). You will want to keep him crated when unsupervised until you have routines and personalities and introductions all worked out. Might be good for night time early on and also anytime you leave the home.

An adult dog's temperament and other characteristics are easier to evaluate accurately than those of a puppy, and the dog meets you mentally as an adult. Puppy bonding is an immature relationship that must form again in adulthood before it becomes a real bond.

Dogs adopted in adulthood will bond to you just as well as puppies, and often better. They've been around, and if you provide them with a really good home, they'll recognize and appreciate it.

Dogs come to new homes ready to learn new rules, open to new things. Dogs are highly adaptable. The adult dog you adopt may well become the best dog you've ever had.

That is absolutely tragic and uneducated. Seriously I spent a lot of time as a shelter volunteer and it is this mentality that really bugs me and results in a lot of absolutely amazing dogs/cats being put down. Having a dog as a puppy doesn't mean you will not have issues or problems.

I personally don't get puppies. I flat out refuse to go to any breeder, pet store or puppy mill. All of my pets (in adulthood) are shelter animals adopted at 1 or more years old.

Our current dog came to us at 4 years old..he did come from family so I "knew" him but all the same there is nothing so risky about adopting an adult dog that people should refuse to do it.

I can totally understand the difficulty in wanting the dog to be your old dog. I had a beloved white GSD growing up myself. To this day I can not get another GSD because I know will expect them to be just like him and that isn't fair. It sounds like you are still (understandably) grieving for your previous baby and you just need to work out your feelings there. Try to remind yourself they are not the same dog and they will be different and different isn't always bad :)

I would normally suggest you have a "meet and greet" with the dog and your entire family (human and any animals in the home) to make sure everyone gets on OK but the boat has sailed there. Enroll in some basic dog training classes, make sure children/dog are NEVER left alone (good practice even for a long time family pet but you need to be extra diligent with a new dog you don't know yet). Gently introduce the other family pets to him..you can start by showing them items with scent on them, then have the pet brought into the room while the new dog is leashed and held by someone else..sniffing..etc.

Anything you can find out and duplicate from his previous routine will help him adjust. What food did he eat? Is he housetrained? What was the sleeping arrangement (crated?, had a dog bed?, stayed in a certain room/area?..etc). You will want to keep him crated when unsupervised until you have routines and personalities and introductions all worked out. Might be good for night time early on and also anytime you leave the home.

Thanks for the great advice. The boat hasn't sailed on the meet n greet. My kids are spending the night with a friend. They have no idea about the dog. As far as the other animals....they have seen the new dog through a glass door, but haven't met. I'm really afraid of one chomp and bye-bye chihuahua.

I don't know that I would want to duplicate any of his previous living conditions. Not that he was treated badly, It's just not how I would do things. He was penned in a backyard with an igloo type dog house. I don't think he is housetrained since he has always been in the backyard. For tonight at least, he is on a new bed in a crate in our garage.

I definitely won't be leaving my kids alone with him. I've heard way too many horror stories.

Thanks for the great advice. The boat hasn't sailed on the meet n greet. My kids are spending the night with a friend. They have no idea about the dog. As far as the other animals....they have seen the new dog through a glass door, but haven't met. I'm really afraid of one chomp and bye-bye chihuahua.

I don't know that I would want to duplicate any of his previous living conditions. Not that he was treated badly, It's just not how I would do things. He was penned in a backyard with an igloo type dog house. I don't think he is housetrained since he has always been in the backyard. For tonight at least, he is on a new bed in a crate in our garage.

I definitely won't be leaving my kids alone with him. I've heard way too many horror stories.

You can have your DH hold the new dog on the leash and enter the room with your chihuahua. Or if your chihuahua has a closed carrier you could put him in there to let them great without risk as well (that is how I first intro'd our cat to our first dog at the shelter. Once everything was cool that way I took her out and they sniffed and checked each other out outside the carrier).

I can see why you wouldn't want to duplicate his living conditions in that way. I was thinking more along the lines of a dog you know has a good home/routine situation. Do keep him crated while he acclimates and taking him out regularly on walks is good advice as well.

Getting him enrolled in classes (some advise waiting a couple weeks as he gets used to you before starting training) for housebreaking and general obedience would be good for everyone. It gets him used to listening to you guys/following your commands and gets valuable training he likely doesn't have since he seems to have been stuck outside a lot.

I don't totally agree with you on this.

I have a dog, who came home to me as a rescue adult and is the perfect dog for my family. I have no regrets. However, as a parent I was pretty careful about introducing an adult dog to my child. I chose one who was on the smaller size (not just for that reason), who had been in foster care and thus had someone who knew him well and could vouch for his personality, whose personality I could also see and vouch for, and I waited until my child was older.

The reality is that any dog the size of an adult GSD has the potential to do serious damage to a child. Bringing home an 8 week old puppy doesn't guarantee that you won't have issues, but you're likely to find out earlier while the dog is small enough that safety issues are less. A large, unsocialized, possibly abused dog around young children is something to approach carefully and seriously.

I'm not saying that this dog won't be a great fit for OP's family, but to imply that she's uneducated for being hesitant and apprehensive, or for going very slowly and carefully in introducing this dog to her kid is ridiculous.

I don't have any advice for you. However, each animal we've had has been an (older) adult. Dogs (4) & cats (4). Other than one cat, all integrated with few problems. Had to put each down due to age, not behavioral problems or any such thing.

I do wish Caesar & Victoria had been on the telly back then, would have helped immensely!

Best wishes! :)

The reality is that any dog the size of an adult GSD has the potential to do serious damage to a child.

A large, unsocialized, possibly abused dog around young children is something to approach carefully and seriously.
I agree (and I'm concerned about the chihuaua and cats as well) although the children in the household will probably be fine. I would be extremely careful with children visiting the house, as dogs kept penned in the yard with little socialization frustrate easily and bark, growl, are often teased by children, etc.

A GSD who hasn't been socialized may have an exaggerated sense of protection and hasn't learned important things like inhibition and recognizing the difference between friend and foe, listening to and following a leader, etc. He may have no idea how to interact in the world. So many issues to consider, really.

If the dog had gone to a GSD rescue he'd spend time in a foster home with someone very familiar with the breed to evaluate how he is around children, other pets, cats, and so on, and they'd make efforts to put him in a home suited to any special needs he might have. Although it's nice you want to take him in, yours may not be the best home for him. (Or it may be, I don't know how much time you have to work with him.)

ETA there may be some helpful info for you here. (I know you're not planning on keeping him outside, but to perhaps help understand where he's been. There was also a link at the bottom about houstraining an outdoor dog if that's an issue.) http://www.wgsr.org/faq/backyard-dog-outdoor-dog-facts-guidance-solutions/

The only adult dog we ever adopted was a Grey Hound. She was 4 years old and a great dog. I miss her. I couldn't have asked for more well behaved an sweet animal.

If we were ever looking to adopt again, the only adult dog I would consider is a Grey. That's just me though.

Good luck to you and your new animal. Take it slow and easy.

I'm not an outside dog person either but I would keep the dog and outside dog for the time being... assuming I kept it.

They are wonderful dogs and fast learners. Slowly introduce your family and pets to him. DH won't allow us to get a rescue because he feels the same way as you do about raising from a pup.

The barking is normal, lol. Mine doesn't bark excessively but will bark whenever anyone walks past the house. Occasionally, he'll get annoyed if too many leaves blow by the front door and bark at them, too.

I'm the biased owner of the worlds best GSD. I'd have a house full of them if I had the room. Please give him a chance. I understand you're uneasy but the dog will pick up on that, too. They can be a very anxious breed of dog. A LOT of exercise helps and is crucial with this breed. I don't recall how old you said your children are but you are smart to keep introductions calm and short.

Do you have a local GSD rescue you can contact if you're unable to keep him?

Best of luck to all of you and thanks to your DH for rescuing him from a bad situation.

Kudos to you for adopting an older dog! They are the best and I agree with the other poster that there are lots of great older dogs in shelters.

I've only adopted adult dogs and all three have worked out great. Our latest addition came in December -- a 5 year old pitbull mix which the vet now thinks is only 2. I already had a cat in the house so I was concerned about that, but all has worked out well and she has actually set the tone between the two of them.

We did very slow introductions between the pets. Also, the pitbull was kept on the leash while in the house for the first couple of days. He also slept in the sunroom apart from the cat for the first week. They were both able to view each other through the sliding glass doors. I think it's important that the pet that is already in the house doesn't feel displaced so I gave the kitty lots of attention.

Three months later, all is well. I'm able to go work in the morning and leave them home alone with no problems.

You have your work cut out for you. How is his personality?

He seems very sweet. He is already very attached to DH. I held his leash while DH walked around to the back yard, and he began whimpering but not barking, he was sort of jumping and pulling to get to him, and I tried to comfort him, but it's like I wasn't even there, the dog completely ignored me.

I've given him a few treats, and the dog has watched me put a new bed in his crate, and I played with him with a tennis ball, and now he wags his tail when I approach.

Although his owner said he barked alot....we have had him for 16 hours, and I have yet to hear him bark....weird.

Another thing is, DH watched him play with a 9year old for a few hours before he brought him home, and he did great, the dog acted like he was having more fun then the kid.

Also, DH pet him last night while he was eating....which I know, could have turned out bad. And nothing...no growl, he did sort of look up quickly at DH but went right back to eating.

These are my observations so far, I'm feeling a bit better about things, but still will be very cautious around him for a long time.

One last thing....we have a really good dog trainer near us that will come to your house and even train the dog in different settings, He even seems to specialize in German Shepherds. We will be calling him very soon, as soon as our tax money comes back, Ha!

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are awesome!

He seems very sweet. He is already very attached to DH. I held his leash while DH walked around to the back yard, and he began whimpering but not barking, he was sort of jumping and pulling to get to him, and I tried to comfort him, but it's like I wasn't even there, the dog completely ignored me.

I've given him a few treats, and the dog has watched me put a new bed in his crate, and I played with him with a tennis ball, and now he wags his tail when I approach.

Although his owner said he barked alot....we have had him for 16 hours, and I have yet to hear him bark....weird.

Another thing is, DH watched him play with a 9year old for a few hours before he brought him home, and he did great, the dog acted like he was having more fun then the kid.

Also, DH pet him last night while he was eating....which I know, could have turned out bad. And nothing...no growl, he did sort of look up quickly at DH but went right back to eating.

These are my observations so far, I'm feeling a bit better about things, but still will be very cautious around him for a long time.

One last thing....we have a really good dog trainer near us that will come to your house and even train the dog in different settings, He even seems to specialize in German Shepherds. We will be calling him very soon, as soon as our tax money comes back, Ha!

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are awesome!

Great news! :goodvibes. He probably barked a lot before because he was left outside and craved attention. I have maybe the world's worst GSD and I still wouldn't trade her for anything! I also adopted a small mixed adult male dog when my GSD was 2 and I was so worried about bringing together 2 adult dogs (my GSD was attacked by an English Bulldog at doggie daycare when she was about 9 months old and I hadn't been able to introduce her to "new" dogs since). It was :love: at first site. They are constant companions. I couldn't be happier. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter