Need cool ideas for my upcoming trip with 2 blind disney fanatics!

kooshgirl

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!
I've been a lurker on the disboards for many years now and the information I have found here has been a huge help in planning my trips to the World. So thanks for that and thanks in advance for any help all you experts can give me for my upcoming trip!
I'm going back to the world for my 3rd trip this year, for 5 nights to celebrate my 44th bday. My cousin who is blind, and her visually impaired husband are meeting me and my best friend for the celebration. I have traveled to Disney with them before, and they are both Disney fanatics. Last year we went to the MVMCP and this year we are hitting the MNSSHP!
So here's what I need help with: My cousin can only see light and dark and her husband has an extremely limited visual field in one eye only. So I am looking for things they can do that are more centered around touching/tactile and hearing/auditory activities. Believe me, nothing is too small or too silly. Even visual things can be enjoyed if they are 'easy' to describe to them. I have been a sighted guide for them many times including our trips to Disney. I try to be as discriptive as I can, but I've been dozens of times and I think some things can start to blend into the world. So, I'd appreciate *any* suggestions of things to touch, taste, smell and hear, as well as things to describe to them to share with them that little extra piece of Disney Magic!
Thanks again!

I highly suggest you move this to the disabilites board! There's lots of us on there who deal with the whole vision issues thing.

I don't know if all the parks have them, but have the seen the big braille map in Epcot. It's metal and almost looks like a large piece of art. It's a really beautiful piece. I'm drawing a blank as to where it is exactly, but I know it's before you get to World Showcase. The musical shows would be good and the narrated rides like Living With the Land, Jungle Cruise and Backlot Tour(you will have to explain Catastrophe Canyon). Do they like rough rides? Dinosaur would be good because even though you see the dinosaurs, it doesn't really matter. The whole story is told on the speaker and the experience is really the ride. Most people say they close their eyes anyway because it's so scary. I don't think it's scary. I love the intense ride and the story.

Living with the Land might be good since it has all the narration. Plus it's easy to describe - tomatoes growing on trees!!!! Hydroponic lettuce!

It's Tough to be a Bug would probably be good for them - much more than visual stimuli in that attraction! ;)

FOTLK - good music!

Soarin feels awesome to me - the wind and the...other stuff.

Do any of you like thrill rides? If you do, I bet EE, Mission Space, Test Track, Space Mountain, BTMR, and Splash Mountain would all be fun to do.

You could eat at some signature restaurants - a feast for the taste buds!

Club cool and tasting the different sodas, the different musical acts around Epcot (Off Kilter, the one in England, the one in Morocco).
Those are the first two things that came to my mind.
Enjoy your birthday trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter