need clarification: renting points versus reservation wanted

lranen

Earning My Ears
Can someone please clarify the difference between these 2 for me? I don't see the difference between these 2, although it seems maybe "reservations wanted" means that the "seller" will make all the arrangements for me. Does "renting points" mean that they will transfer me the points and I call Disney and make the arrangments.

Sorry, if this is posted somewhere. I'm reading and reading and just not getting it.
Thanks, Lynn

ps: I am a DVC Member

Can someone please clarify the difference between these 2 for me? I don't see the difference between these 2, although it seems maybe "reservations wanted" means that the "seller" will make all the arrangements for me. Does "renting points" mean that they will transfer me the points and I call Disney and make the arrangments.

Sorry, if this is posted somewhere. I'm reading and reading and just not getting it.
Thanks, Lynn

ps: I am a DVC Member

I think "reservation wanted" means that someone is looking for a specific date/resort--at least that's the way I posted it when I rented points before I purchased DVC. When you rent points from an owner, that owner still has to make the arrangements. MS won't talk to you.

I assume you are talking about the DVC Rent/Trade board. You should read the "sticky" threads at the top of the board because they explain the different categories and the posting rules.

Although we use the phrase "renting points" what it really means is that a DVC member uses his/her points to make a reservation for someone else who pays them for that reservation. Many members price their reservations by the point (for example, $12/point) so that's probably where the phrase "renting points" originated. DVC members willing to make a reservation for someone else will post a "Points for Rent" thread. If they are also willing to transfer points to another DVC member they will post a "Points for Rent/Transfer" or just "Points for Transfer" if they only want to transfer points to another DVC member and are not interested in making a reservation for someone.

A "Reservation Wanted" thread is posted by someone who is looking for a DVC member with extra points who will make a reservation for them in exchange for cash.

A DVC member who needs some extra points and is looking for another DVC member willing to transfer some points from one account to the other would post a "Point Transfer Wanted" thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter