• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need clarification on DCL policy.

MissMet

DIS Veteran
Would I be allowed to carry on a few sealed lunchables or items like this at Port Canaveral?

We will be at WDW for the week before & I am planning to purchase lunchables, uncrustables, etc. for my son's lunches while at WDW. If I have extras can I bring them with us on the cruise in my small, soft-sided cooler bag or would that not be allowed? I know I won't "need" these items on the cruise, but I'm just trying to figure out if I should buy on the more conservative side or not. This is my first cruise with the little guy so this is stuff I've never had to think about in the past.

I searched on their website & this is what I found. It's not real clear, IMO.
  • Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable food items plus any open snack containers
Thanks!

Is it the pre-cooked that's throwing you off? Yes, you should be able to bring the on board, although someone else will need to chime in on the soft sided cooler bag, because I don't think those are allowed any longer unless they are required to keep medications chilled.

No, it's the "or other perishable food items" part.

The "soft-sided cooler" is part of my diaper bag that I will have with me from the WDW portion of my trip, so I will have that with me regardless.

I expect Lunchables would be considered "perishable" and against the policy -- due to the cheese. Whether you'd get them on or not may be hit or miss. But it's actually a U.S. Agriculture law (and similar in other countries) that prohibits such items from crossing the border, not just a DCL rule. I believe DCL has Uncrustables available, and you can create your own Lunchables with cheese and crackers. Just shop conservatively for your pre-cruise time.

Enjoy your cruise!

No, it's the "or other perishable food items" part.

The "soft-sided cooler" is part of my diaper bag that I will have with me from the WDW portion of my trip, so I will have that with me regardless.
I think that the "other perishable food items" would cover lunchables. Now, I don't doubt that, possibly, others have brought such items onboard, but (for me) I'd be the one who wouldn't get away with it.

Definitely not worried about finding him food onboard, just trying to plan for the leftovers. I guess I'll buy as conservatively as I can & bring the leftovers with & if they take them, they take them. Either way they'd go to waste so it's worth the shot, I guess.

Thanks everyone!

You should be able to carry them on since they are factory sealed. Everything is perishable to a point. Also, they won't be tearing into your bag to see what is in there. Since it will be for a young child it will be even easier.

My son has food allergies and they have allowed us to bring pre-cooked frozen chicken nuggets in an unopened bag. Last time we brought 4 bags and it was not a problem. I called ahead to DCL and they told me it was permitted. I would consider those perishable, but they did allow it. I would call to get a clarification. They may not have a problem with it.

My son has food allergies and they have allowed us to bring pre-cooked frozen chicken nuggets in an unopened bag. Last time we brought 4 bags and it was not a problem. I called ahead to DCL and they told me it was permitted. I would consider those perishable, but they did allow it. I would call to get a clarification. They may not have a problem with it.
Possibly, for allergy situations, they will allow somethings that would not "normally" be allowed.

I don't think so. No one asked me about allergies when we brought it in. It was in a small cooler. They said as long as it was sealed in the original packaging I could bring it on board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter