Need cheap DSL service with no home phone. Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by pat fan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. pat fan

pat fan Sad my tag won't fit :(

My DS lives on his own and would like a computer and internet, but has only a cell, no land-line.

The cheapest I can find is like $30 a month, which my DH says is too high. Anyone have any suggestions???

Personally, I don't care if he never finds any, because that means he comes home to use the net :cool1: and I get to see him :cool1: But I suppose at some point he needs to get his own. I guess. Maybe.:rotfl:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

I think $30 is probably about the cheapest DSL you're going to find. If you're worried about cost, check on getting just local service from the phone company, install a landline & a modem, and go to town.

Do a google search for 'DSL' & the name of the town your DS is in. What's available some places may not be available for him.

4. pat fan

I did google it, and Localnet was the cheapest. I am going to call Verizon, but the web says the don't offer internet where he lives. Phone & TV, but no net :confused3 weird.

5. puffkin

puffkin DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Actually $30/mo sounds pretty cheap. I don't think you will find it must cheaper unless you go through a bundle plan which could end up being more pricey once you do the other components.

There is always the library too if he wants free :goodvibes

6. pat fan

No No....mama's house is FREE....all else is too expensive :lmao:

Actually, I called Verizon and they do offer it for $34.99, so I guess Localnet it is, if he wants it.

7. Straitlover

Straitlover DIS Veteran

My DSL is $29.99, but that is w/ a bundle w/ home phone. Wish I could get that price stand alone!!!! I'd do away w/ a land line tout suite!

8. sherry7

sherry7 DIS Veteran

Call Verizon back and ask if they still have the lower speed DSL available in your area. It's still plenty fast, as long as he isn't streaming video, etc. I can't remember the exact price, but it's around $20 or so.

Another option would be a dry loop through Verizon. That doesn't require home phone service in order to have the DSL service.

9. andycat

andycat 2009 - 3034 miles to WDW. 2010 - 162 miles to WDW

$19.95/mo for 6Mbps DSL in Jacksonville, FL through AT&T.

10. pat fan

No AT&T here, we are in Verizon country :rolleyes:

OT-Jacksonville??? You are near my very best friend!

That was the no-phone price, but good idea, I will call back and check the speed of that and see if there is a slower option!

11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg DIS Veteran

What phone carrier do you have and how much is it to add a 3G or 4G modem?

If he has a smart phone, check on the tethering price.

Usually I can get faster speed on my smart phone then I can on my parents DSL.

12. pat fan

Again in english please?? :rotfl2:

He just has a Straight Talk phone from Walmart. Didn't want a phone with a plan/contract. He is actually wanting a better phone as he has started having the internet drop on him sometimes. Any clues for that? Hard to find something in the $50 a month range (what he pays now) that has unlimited texting.