• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Charleston, SC help!

Tinkerbelle32

DIS Veteran
Hello all! Long story short, it looks like we may be moving to Charleston, SC and not Florida. My hubby would be accepting a civilian position at the AFB(he's retiring this May after 26 years). A chief at CAFB has called him several times so I would like to get some information if possible. Would love to know about the schools(good vs. bad) What areas to live in, etc. How is housing? Any help would be appreciated. :worship: Thanks,Jenn

P.S. Ok, I have to ask. Howfar to Disney? ;)

Welcome to Charleston! You didn't mention how old your children are but I'd suggest Dorchester 2 schools (Summerville area) or Charleston County schools East of the Cooper in Mount Pleasant. Both Summerville and MP have wonderful rec depts, good schools and neighborhoods, are both about 10-15 miles from the AFB. Summerville has a a very nice park area and an old Southern charm to the DT area. MP is minutes from 2 beaches, just across the harbor from Charleston, has several wonderful places to eat on the water, a large, modern outdoor mall, and as mentioned earlier superior recreation facilities including indoor pool, lighted tennis courts, lots of programs, all very reasonable for residents. COL is similar in both areas until you start looking at waterfront :scared1: Both areas have traffic issues but that is common in all areas of the tri-county area...too much growth too fast. We have basically 2 seasons here....Hot and Muggy and cool and Rainy. Winter lasts from around mid-Nov to early March with occassional hot/cooler days thrown in just to keep you on your toes. This time of year is beautiful except for the yellow clouds of pine pollen that get on everything but hey..it is the South. Takes about 6.5 hrs to get to Orlando from here if traffic cooperates, there is really no direct route to I95 from Charleston. You are less than 5 hrs from Atlanta, 3 from Charlotte NC, 3 from the mountains in NC and about 3.5 to Jacksonville. Hope that helps some. Any other questions, I'd be happy to help answer....Scott

I agree with much of what the previous poster wrote. I'd only live in Mount Pleasant or downtown Summerville. For us, though, proximity to the water makes MP come out on top. I'd say that the homes in MP are quite a bit more expensive than Summerville when you compare apples to apples.

We live in the upstate of SC, around the Greenville area, but we travel several times a year to Charleston. It is our fave vacation spot, other than Disney of course:thumbsup2
When we are there, I tell my husband every time that I could live in Mt Pleasant:love: (And I don't say that about many places, I absolutely love where we live now). That is where we tend to stay, eat, etc. It is so close to Folly Beach and Isle of Palms, too. If you like shopping, their outdoor mall is the best. :banana:We have some family friends that live there now, and the love it.

Congrats on your possible move to the Palmetto State!! Much closer to Mickey Mouse:wizard:

Lucky you to be moving to the Charleston area!

Wando High in Mt. Pleasant has an excellent reputation. There are some good private schools as well.

As others have stated, traffic is a beast. But all the historical sites, attractions, restaurants, etc. outweigh traffic.

I am also in the Upstate area of SC and wanted to say that the homeschooling laws in SC are wonderful. If you ever thought about trying homeschooling, this may be the time. :)

Thanks again for all of the replies. We now will have to just sit and wait for a week or so. Kind of the gov. way, to hurry up and wait! :) I actually am a teacher, but my children enjoy school so much they would kill me if they didn't get to go. I'm not complaining! ;) Jenn

Its been a while since I lived in Charleston, but I really loved Goose Creek, Mt Pleasant, and Summerville.

Just remember two things.... STICKY FINGERS and YE OLD FASHION ICE CREAM SHOP!!!!

From summerville SC to Orlando Fl its 6 hours. roughly 375 miles.

Joanna & Hunters Mom: I lived in Greenville too!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter