• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need cake recipe for 4H

keri-k

Mouseketeer
My daughter needs to make a single layer cake with no icing for her 4H project this year. I know it's early in the year but she needs to experiment and we seem to have more time in the winter to do this before softball season starts. Last year we asked you all for a muffin recipe and she won a blue ribbon with honors. Hopefully you disers can come through again this year. Remember, it has to be from scratch. Some people have suggested a darker type of cake usually judges better. Not sure if that is true or not.

Thanks in advance!!

Keri
::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo

Here is a recipe I found, I have never tried it before. I wish you luck in your quest for a good cake.

Becky

Chocolate Cake with No Icing
By Julie Heintzelman
Monday, 13 February 2006
My mother made the best chocolate cake in the whole world. Every birthday, my brothers and I would always ask Mom to make the "cake with no icing." It wasn't until she submitted this recipe for a school fundraising cookbook that I found out the real title of this cake was "low calorie chocolate cake."

It's very thick, very moist, and putting icing on it just ruins it completely. It's wonderful with any flavor ice cream. One time, my stepfather made the cake instead of Mom and he put a glaze on it! My brothers and I were so disappointed, it all but ruined this cake. My Mom passed away six years ago and now I've started the tradition of making this fabulous cake for my kids. And I won't make the mistake of putting on any icing.

Chocolate cake with no icing recipe:

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 min. Grease & flour 8x8 pan.

2 separate bowls

First bowl:

1 1/2 cups of sifted flour

1 cup sugar

1 tsp baking soda (very important, I forgot this once & the cake was flat as a pancake!)

1/2 tsp salt

3 tbsp cocoa

1/2 cup cold water

Mix together

Second bowl:

5 tbsp melted shortening

1/2 cup cold water

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp vinegar

Mix together with first bowl & pour into greased pan.

I hope anyone that tries this cake truly enjoys it as I have for the past 35 years.

I'm sorry I missed this thread the first time around. :( My grandmother always made this with a "caramel icing" (which used brown sugar & became hardened once poured over the cake) but I rarely do that due to the sugar content. The cake itself is outstanding without icing....very moist! (And no, there's not an error in it - there is no egg in this.)

Applesauce Cake

2 tsp baking soda
1½ Tbl water
2½ c applesauce
½ tsp nutmeg
1 Tbl cinnamon
¼ tsp cloves, ground
1 c sugar
4 c flour
1 c shortening
1 c raisins, rinsed
1 c walnuts (opt)

Dissolve baking soda in water. Combine all ingredients except raisins & nuts. Mix until well moistened. Stir in raisins & nuts. Bake at 350 for 45 to 60 minutes in greased & floured pan. (two 9x9 or a 13x9)

This is the first cake I ever made by myself from scratch. It is so easy, and cleanup is a snap since you mix and bake it in the same pan. Coincidentally, I first made this for a 4H project! Good luck to your daughter!

Crazy Cake
A Simple Chocolate Cake!
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. soda
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup oil
2 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups water

Sift the dry ingredients into an ungreased 9x13 inch cake pan. Make 1 large and 2 small holes in the above mixture. Put 3/4 cup oil in the large hole. Put 2 tsp. vinegar in one small hole. Put 1 tsp. vanilla in the other small hole. Pour 2 cups water over everything and blend with a fork till completely mixed. Don't forget the corners! Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.

This is the first cake I ever made by myself from scratch. It is so easy, and cleanup is a snap since you mix and bake it in the same pan. Coincidentally, I first made this for a 4H project! Good luck to your daughter!

Crazy Cake
A Simple Chocolate Cake!
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. soda
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup oil
2 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups water

Sift the dry ingredients into an ungreased 9x13 inch cake pan. Make 1 large and 2 small holes in the above mixture. Put 3/4 cup oil in the large hole. Put 2 tsp. vinegar in one small hole. Put 1 tsp. vanilla in the other small hole. Pour 2 cups water over everything and blend with a fork till completely mixed. Don't forget the corners! Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.

I love this cake I first made it in the 1960s as a 4-H member, it was in a green handbook we received as new 4-Hers. I have wanted it for years because I lost mine. I jogged my memory when my granddaughter told me my Great Granddaughter had joined 4-H.how awesome I think this is.

I used to have a lemon drizzle cake recipe - which can easily be made without the drizzle - whach was awesome but I can't find it :headache: I think it came from RecipeZaar, so I'll try there later :thumbsup2

ETA - dark cakes might judge better because its less easy to see any surface colour variations

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter