Need Budget friendly ideas to buy a car .... anyone use Costoc/Sam's/BJ's to buy car?

Tink113

DIS Veteran
We just found out that DH's car needs lots of work. I have never been too excited about his car so, now we are looking to get a new (used) one. I know there are services out there that can help get a better price. I am looking into using the Costco Car buying service.

Anyone ever used them or anyone else?

Any other ideas of where to buy a budget friendly used car that is not going to die on us! We just bought our first house in April, so this is bad timing!

I don't think the BJs around us sell cars, but maybe that's a regional thing?

Our new (used) car came from Enterprise. They sell off their former rentals at selected locations. You pay the price on the tag - and the prices were good! You get the balance of the factory warranty, and can extend it as/if you wish.

We got a beautiful and terrific car (after our previous one was totalled when we got hit :guilty: ) from them and had a great experience. We plan to drive this one into the ground, but when it is time to buy again, we expect to do Enterprise again.

Enterprise was wonderful to work with, but would expect the other major rental agencies to offer a similar program? It may be worth checking into for you - we had never heard of this before...

We have gotten some great leads on "well cared for pre-owned vehicles" from our mechanic. He is very trustworthy and dependable. He has a sort of un-official policy of letting people advertise their cars through him, if he has done their care and up-keep.

He encourages the sellers to take Blue Book Private Party Price. It is more than the seller would get for a trade-in and it is haggle free, easy, and reliable.

As a buyer, you know you are getting a car that has been well cared for.

The seller doesn't have to take out ads in the paper and have a bunch of weirdos at their house looking at the car.

If you have a good mechanic, even if he doesn't do this sort of thing, he might have some good ideas on where to look. Car guys are car guys, and they tend to "keep an ear to the ground" about car things.

--Eeyore's Wife

We went through Costco's auto program to buy our latest new car. Don't know about getting a used one through them, but it was a wonderful experience. The person they link you with is the only one you deal with, and they have all the prices already negotiated.

Good idea to buy a new (used) car, especially if it is still under factory warranty or you can get an extended factory warranty.

The biggest hit in depreciation is with a brand new car -- as soon as you hit the street leaving the dealership the value has diminished dramatically and continues to go down through the life of the car. That is how so many people end up owing more on their car than it is worth.

Good luck with your decision!

If you are members of a credit union check there as well - both of ours have car buying advocates. If you aren't a member of a credit union, maybe you should join one. :)

If you have a Carmax nearby they are generally good to deal with and have set prices that are easy to understand.

This is a great time of year for new cars as well with the 09 models coming out you can often get a brand new 08 model for the same price you'd pay on an older used car so don't rule that option out either - it doesn't hurt to check.

We looked at Sam's and ended up buying a demo car through the dealership. It only had 5,000 miles on it and came with a 100,000 mile warranty. The best part though was that that new car depreciation had already happened.

If you are looking into buying new...check out Fitzmall.com They are in MD. Their is also another no-haggle dealership by you...I think it is Darcars??? They are both great to work with and offer great deals...with no pressure! They offer decent used car deals. I like craigslist for used....if you have the time to shop around! Good luck! I think you will do a bit better at the above places then the costco program. Definately check all your options! WE wrer thinking of getting a camry or corolla for DH as his commuter car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter