Need books similar to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series....

marshallandcartersmo

DIS Veteran
DS9 just finished the most recent book last night (came out last week and read it in two days!).

After he closed the books he said, "mom, I need some more books":worship: Those are words I never thought I'd hear him say!

He hasn't liked reading at all, but really read these books quickly and looked forward to reading them (first time I didn't have to hound him to read!!)

Anything similar I can get for Christmas??

DS9 just finished the most recent book last night (came out last week and read it in two days!).

After he closed the books he said, "mom, I need some more books":worship: Those are words I never thought I'd hear him say!

He hasn't liked reading at all, but really read these books quickly and looked forward to reading them (first time I didn't have to hound him to read!!)

Anything similar I can get for Christmas??

My 9 y/o son also loves the wimpy kid books....a similar one is Big Nate, he enjoys those too...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Big-Nate/Lincoln-Peirce/e/9780061944345/?itm=2&USRI=big+nate

Not sure about being the same as the Wimpy Kid series, but my daughter LOVED the Rick Riordan Percy Jackson & the Olympians series and I know that a lot of young boys like it since the main character is a young boy, there is fighting, mystery, intrigue, etc. :) It was the first series that she was excited about and couldn't wait for the next book! :thumbsup2

Not sure about being the same as the Wimpy Kid series, but my daughter LOVED the Rick Riordan Percy Jackson & the Olympians series and I know that a lot of young boys like it since the main character is a young boy, there is fighting, mystery, intrigue, etc. :) It was the first series that she was excited about and couldn't wait for the next book! :thumbsup2

And there is now a graphic novel of the first Percy Jackson book. So it's the Percy Jackson storyline but illustrated like Wimpy Kid. Perfect for reluctant readers!

Thank you for posting this question! I have been wondering the same thing. My DS9 devoured the latest book as well. It is so nice to see them excited to read. Thanks for the suggestions! Percy just made the Christmas list!

thanks for the suggestions so far! loving the graphics in books too.....and series books are a plus

and I already got him one of those "bathroom readers" sorta like a book of facts, great idea!

thanks!!

My son, now 10, reluctant reader (where did that come from? husband and I are both voracious readers) loved the book Captain Nobody by Dean Pitchford, when he read it last year. Not a series or a book with pictures, but if my reluctant reader loved it, you might give it a try.

My DS 10 loves the Geronimo Stilton Kingdom of Fantasy series and the Captain Underpants series.

Another option is the Lunch lady series. Funny and available in pb. i think there are 5 or 6 now.

I also recommend Dork Diaries and Jon Scieszka's knuckleheads.

Lara

FYI, my 12 year old nephew who is also not a huge reader enjoyed Percy Jackson as well.

Our librarian had just recommended Spiderwick Chronicles for DS who is almost 8 and an advanced reader, but he didn't want to touch them (he was in a MOOD that day however...they looked cool to me.)

Someone already suggested this one ... Captain Underpants. There are a lot of pictures to support the text and it is all about bathroom humor. My DS10 enjoyed these books along with the Wimpy Kid series.

And as other posters have suggested, he loves the Percy Jackson series (He is now onto the newest one, The Lost Hero).

How to Train a Dragon series is about the same level of reading and also includes the pencil sketches throughout. My son really enjoyed them. There are about 7 books in the series.

ETA: Search the threads for books for boys. I've had several earmarked in the past with great suggestions. Also, my DS8 has really enjoyed the Yu-gi-oh graphic novels. Not my first choice for him to read, but he likes them.

How about trying these "The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle" By Bill Myers. There are several in this series - the first book is titled "My Life As a Smashed Burrito with Extra Hot Sauce"

My ds8 is also a reluctant reader. He has been reading the Captain Underpants books. I have to record the title and how long he read each evening. Some of the titles are very embarrassing:eek:

My ds also loves the Wimpy Kid books. He also likes:
Captain Underpants Series
The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future
Vordak the Incomprehensible: How to Grow Up and Rule the World
Big Nate series
The Adventures of Super Diaper Baby
Choose Your Own Adventure series

He has read his Wimpy Kid, Big Nate, Vordak and Ook and Gluk books multiple times. He carries them when we go out somewhere and reads them in the car and while we are waiting to get a table at a restaurant.

I am having a hard time finding him any new ones for Christmas because he seems to have them all. I am just happy that he loves to read!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter