Need an HONEST opnion on what is a good mattress??

kritter

<font color=deeppink>I need a Disney FIX!!<br><fon
We are looking for a new mattress and have looked at the Temprapedic, Polypedic. Any thoughts on what is a good mattress and does anyone have one that they really like?? TIA!!!!!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

It's my understanding that Tempur-pedic mattresses are really about 4-6" of ordinary foam with 2-3" of memory foam on top. It would be trivial to buy yourself a cheaper plain old foam mattress, either buying an IKEA mattress or going the DIY route and just having a foam manufacturer cut it for you, then buying a memory foam topped. You'll save yourself thousands. If you go the DIY route, you can use a foam friendly spray adhesive to make sure that the memory foam is bonded to the base foam and won't slip, although it's probably not a huge issue. There are zip closing mattress covers or protectors that will give your improvised mattress the same finished effect as the Tempur-pedic.

I Love my Tempurpedic!! Have had it for 10 yrs now.. still as good as new... definitely will get another one when the time comes again.

Saving up to get both my dd's ones also.. will spoil them for their hubbies, lol!
But honestly, I will never ever go back to a spring mattress again!

It's my understanding that Tempur-pedic mattresses are really about 4-6" of ordinary foam with 2-3" of memory foam on top. It would be trivial to buy yourself a cheaper plain old foam mattress, either buying an IKEA mattress or going the DIY route and just having a foam manufacturer cut it for you, then buying a memory foam topped. You'll save yourself thousands. If you go the DIY route, you can use a foam friendly spray adhesive to make sure that the memory foam is bonded to the base foam and won't slip, although it's probably not a huge issue. There are zip closing mattress covers or protectors that will give your improvised mattress the same finished effect as the Tempur-pedic.

It is true that its regular foam underneath the memory foam (just felt my mattress to confirm that, lol). So you could save money by DIY.. but you'd be giving up an excellent warranty, and really wouldn't be saving that much. The mattress we bought 10 yrs ago is now going for $1699, and that includes the foundation and 2 tempur pillows. So by buying a regular foam mattress ($300?), a 3 inch memory foam topper ($350?), a foundation ($100?), and 2 tempur pillows ($200), you're paying around $950.. and don't get a warranty with it.

I cannot stress enough how much I love our Tempurpedic. It is one of the BEST purchases we have ever made and worth every single penny!

You didn't mention traditional innerspring mattresses, but asked if anyone has a mattress they love - DH and I are still both in love with our Stearns and Foster. It wasn't inexpensive, but it is 9 years old and still feels awesome.

We love our TempurPedic...well worth the $. We did not like the Sleep Number at all, I even bought a 3" memory foam mattress topper for it, it helped but not much.

It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but DH and I HATED the Tempurpedic we bought (and yes, we bought the real, name brand, Tempurpedic). It was like a stinkin' rock. We slept on it the required 30 nights and then sent that baby back to the mattress store and paid the restocking fee so we could get something that we could actually SLEEP on. I told DH if I didn't want to sleep for 30 nights, I would have had another baby b/c they're cuter. So, here's the warning: The Tempurpedic is a FIRM mattress. If you don't like FIRM mattresses, you are NOT going to like it. Also, you have to "break it in". When it comes to you, it is SUPER hard (and it smells funny). It takes several weeks to "break it in", but we STILL didn't like ours, even after that time period. It was HARD. So, if you don't like firm mattresses, DO NOT buy a Tempurpedic. We ended up going with an innerspring mattress that had a combo memory foam/latex topper on it. We slept well the FIRST night, and have been sleeping well ever since. Just my 2 cents--Katie

Thanks, everyone............

Anyone have any other matresses that they really love??!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

We also bought a Tempuredic mattress. DH loooved that thing. We kept it for about 10 months. I thought I was going to DIE sleeping on it, my back hurt so much. I realized it was the mattress when we went on a mini vacation and I woke up with no back pain. Goodbye Temurpedic. DH really misses it. Not me!

We have the "Sleep Number bed" and love it because we can each
choose how hard or how soft we want our side of the bed to be.
We purchased ours in inventory clearance sale and it cost less than
have price. We've had it about 2 years now.

for about 8 years and love it. I am heavier than my dh so when I turn it would make him roll towards the middle in a spring coil bed. Now with the foam I can move and he never knows it! I love it!

We just bought a new mattress and after looking at lots of different ones including tempurpedic, we bought a Stearns and Foster. We are both pooh sized and wanted something built well that would not sag in a few years. DH did research and found that Stearns and Foster have heat tempered coils which basically means they last longer and don't lose their spring as easily. So far, we like it alot. And it helped that we found a good sale as they do tend to be pricey.

So by buying a regular foam mattress ($300?), a 3 inch memory foam topper ($350?), a foundation ($100?), and 2 tempur pillows ($200), you're paying around $950.. and don't get a warranty with it.

More like $50 for the base layer of foam. Just get it cut by a local upholsterer. 3 inch memory foam toppers are under $100 these days if you price shop for them, Costco has them for under $200 easily. A foam mattress can go straight on the floor if need be, so there goes the foundation cost, or you can put it on your old box spring. Memory foam pillows, if you need the matching memory foam pillows, are also available at Target and Costco for cheap. So, decidedly under $500. And who needs a warranty when you threw it together yourself and can repair it trivially?

We have a Sleep Number. Have had it for about 5 years now and LOVE IT! I will probably never buy another style of bed. It was the same price as a good innerspring mattress and the Temperpedic, but it has a 20 year warranty.

As for what mattress we love and recommend: we made the switch to traditional style Asian futons, which are basically cushy cotton mats you unfold or unroll onto the floor at night. I love it. The initial futon set was cheap. It included the "mattress," comforter, and buckwheat pillow. It took a week to adjust to sleeping on the floor, but now I'd never go back. Apparently the firm surface is good for your spine, I'm certainly more comfortable all day than I used to be. Our bed is silent, easy to care for, takes up no space, is completely portable (to the extent that we volunteer for the floor when heading to the crowded grandparents' house for the holidays, I just throw our beds in the trunk and go), cheap, easy to mend if it got damaged somehow, I could breakdance on one side of the bed and the other wouldn't know it, and so on. I'd suggest it as an option to consider for kids and teens. Kids seem to love sleeping on the floor, even after the novelty has worn off, and they love being able to set up somewhere new every night. Teens seem to like that it's "different." The teenaged children of our friends think that it's the coolest thing ever, for some reason.

We have the Sleep Number and absolutely love it. My dh is a lot bigger than I and now I don't wake up every time he moves.

My sister in law talked us out of buying a Tempurpedic because they hated it due to the smell. She said that after awhile the dang thing just stunk.

A few weeks ago i was asking the same question..after spending hours and hours in sleepys - i really wanted the Temperpedic heard so so much good about it, my husband laid on it and didn't love it - we were looking at the traditional beds, but i didn't love it etc etc. So i negotiated w/my husband - went on the site Overstock.com - they have a bunch of the memory foam mattresses for under $500 - i said we do need a new mattress, it takes time i heard to get use to sleeping on the foam type so for that price we could "try" it - worse case scenario in a year we buy the traditional w/box spring etc. So that is what i did!

Fast, delivery - so far so good - we are both sleeping good!

lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter