Need advice

maiyoli

Mouseketeer
Hi we came back from a Disney cruise and we almost bought into dvc. My question is I really don't go to wdw that often maybe once every 3 to 4 years, i like universal studio better now that my daughters are older. When we go it always weekend trips. If we buy dvc how does it work for Disney cruises. We go almost every year. Resell sound better but I heard you can't use them for cruises. Thanks

Hi we came back from a Disney cruise and we almost bought into dvc. My question is I really don't go to wdw that often maybe once every 3 to 4 years, i like universal studio better now that my daughters are older. When we go it always weekend trips. If we buy dvc how does it work for Disney cruises. We go almost every year. Resell sound better but I heard you can't use them for cruises. Thanks

With a resale purchase you would not be able to use your membership to reserve a DCL cruise. With a direct purchase you would be better off to rent your points (actually reservations made using your points) and then use that cash to reserve directly thru DCL but the high up-front costs of a direct purchase fail to save any $$$ when using points for non-DVC options like DCL.

If you will only go to WDW every 3-4 years, you are better off just paying cash and reserving directly thru Disney (or renting from a DVC Member).

The short answer is it doesn't. Buying DVC to cruise will cost you more money than simply paying cash. It doesn't sound like you should own DVC. Maybe you should look at a different timeshare option and just pay cash for DCL, you'll be far ahead in terms of cost, options and flexibility. Or it may be that for weekend trips, you're simply better off simply sticking with cash given that most timeshares that are points based are higher weekends. Bluegreen is about 50% more for weekends for the Fountains but only have 2 BR units, their Sunshine resorts are more in the 500% more for weekends. Wyndham's Bonnet Creek is a little over 50% more for weekends. You could buy a Marriott Grande Vista unit that's in the FL club (or another FL club resort) and do 3/4 day blocks but that's still be one weekend and one weekday block. As I look at it I don't think you should buy anything if Orlando and DCL are all that's in the mix for your travel.

I agree with Dean's previous post. You are better off paying cash for cruises and renting points from a DVC owner for stays at DVC properties while at Disney World. If you are nervous about renting but still want to stay on property, the moderates offer a reasonable value and frequently Disney offers incentives to book them.

OP, We now love Universal too... ssshhh, don't tell the Mouse.

Stephen

If I buy resell can I rent the points, and use that money Towards the cruise. And has anybody used their points for RCI trades ?

If I buy resell can I rent the points, and use that money Towards the cruise. And has anybody used their points for RCI trades ?
Yes you can rent your points. Some have used RCI for trades but it's complicated and there is some risk. I wouldn't buy with that intent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter