• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need advice with booking!

singsweetnightingale

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, I'm Sarah! Basically, I've never been to WDW before, and want to book in the next couple of days and need some advice!!

In your experience, who are the best places to book your holiday with? I'm looking at next September, so loads of sites don't have flights up yet, I'm wondering if it's worth it to book the holiday and add flights later? Are there any good websites for flights?

Also, is the dining plan worth it? I'm just getting so confused and don't know where to turn!!! :rotfl:

:wave2: Hi Sarah,

Booking your first trip to WDW is exciting!

To address your questions...

There are multiple ways you can book your trip and it really depends on budget and your tolerance for stress! The simple way would be to book a package with one of the tour operators which encompasses all of the elements of your trip. The alternative is to piece your trip together yourself, which is almost always the cheaper option but makes for a lot more work and having bits of it booked and not others.

Different DISers do different things. We usually book our hotel, tickets, and free dining directly with the Walt Disney Travel Company and book our flights and car hire separately.

Right now, a lot of the tour operators (those who offer package deals) will have their flights available in their packages. If you book through Disney you'll have to add flights later. Flights are released 11 months out (from your return date).

The dining plan value is a difficult one to call. It will depend on your party size, the ages of any children and the type of food you like to consume. For us free dining works well, because our DD is 9 and we are foodies. If you don't like fast food too much, if you want to do character meals, if your kids are over 9 but don't eat much... they are all factors that can affect the value of the plan for you and there are MANY MANY more factors that all combine too! Also, if you are someone who likes to have their major expenses paid before you leave, the DDP is a good way to go!

My advice for anyone is to do the maths and that will give you the answer. Look at what you're likely to eat, use the free resources online with the menus and prices (I use all ears but there are others) and figure out roughly how much food will cost you out of pocket and balance that off against how much you can save by not paying rack rate for your room.

Hi Sarah

If you can, get booking before 5 November as you will get free dining in a Mod or Deluxe - well worth it and makes staying in a value not really make financial sense.

Personally I prefer booking the hotel through Disney and the flights separately when they're cheap. Where are you thinking of staying?

It really does depend on how you want to book!

We've booked through Travel City Direct - as a massive package and it wasn't too badly priced. And, because it was through a TA, we were able to book really far in advance (18 months out!) - we booked in April for a holiday next August-September!

Though, as flortlebap's said, it can be worth booking flights separately when there's a sale/deal on and the prices are cheaper.

Because we're such a large group, we wouldn't have saved that much, and for us it wasn't worth the hassle of having to do it ourselves!

Hey everyone, thank you for all your replies!!

I've just booked!!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I ended up using the Disney site, it actually worked out £500 cheaper than other deals I found!! I'm so excited, I've never even left Europe and here I am with WDW booked!!

Congratulations on booking! We're planning our first trip too!

Where are you staying? :D

Thank you!! :dance3:

This'll sound really silly, but I've been dyyyying to stay here so I don't mind forking out for the dining plan. We're staying at Art of Animation!! I was also looking at the Royal Guest Rooms in Port Orleans Riverside (which are so so gorgeous!!), but I figured I have been dying to stay at aoa and I think I'll end up being more excited at the thought of staying there!

Where are you staying?

We're staying at Saratoga Springs, as it worked out cheaper to stay there than either of the Port Orleans resorts and upgrade our dining plan! (As SSR is a deluxe villa resort, it upgraded our dining plan for no extra cost!) :-) I can't wait!

We're staying at Saratoga Springs, as it worked out cheaper to stay there than either of the Port Orleans resorts and upgrade our dining plan! (As SSR is a deluxe villa resort, it upgraded our dining plan for no extra cost!) :-) I can't wait!

I was looking at that one too! So beautiful! In the end I guess I just had my heart set on AoA! I don't mind the extra cost because I'm just so excited to go there :rotfl:

I was looking at that one too! So beautiful! In the end I guess I just had my heart set on AoA! I don't mind the extra cost because I'm just so excited to go there :rotfl:

I think you chose well. It is easy to over look 'value' based on a fact sheet style assessment, but what we like and what is important to each of us is so important too. AoA is a beautiful resort! We like POFQ and although OKW at the time I booked worked out about £100 more with the upgraded DDP and there were times when I searched it for different dates before we had decided and it actually came out cheaper than the moderate; but we really like POFQ and wanted to stay there and also, we really didn't want the regular DDP. So choosing what you really want is, IMO, the best value. I definitely plan to go and check out AoA next trip and get some photos. :thumbsup2

I did love the rooms at AoA! They look so cute (and so well done too!)... but DH wasn't convinced! ;) Perhaps when we have small people in tow, I'll be able to convince him (for their sake, of course! :thumbsup2)

ETA: Which theme room did you go for? :D

woohooo well done you on booking! :cool1:

Did you go for the dining plan in the end?
If not, I wouldn't bother. Its usually cheaper and easier to buy food as you go. :)

Sounds like you've got lots of planning to do now :thumbsup2

woohooo well done you on booking! :cool1:

Did you go for the dining plan in the end?
If not, I wouldn't bother. Its usually cheaper and easier to buy food as you go. :)

Sounds like you've got lots of planning to do now :thumbsup2

So last night and this morning I was having this feeling that something wasn't right!

I called this morning and swapped the hotel to Port Orleans Riverside! In a Royal Guest Room!! No fuss or anything, same price that was quoted yesterday, all sorted! So it was just a little to upgrade to the dining plan, so I chose that.

I feel so much better! As much as I want to stay in AoA, something just didn't feel right and I think we'll have a much better time in PORS. Will still have to visit AoA though!! :) Feeling so happy and excited right now!:rotfl:

So last night and this morning I was having this feeling that something wasn't right!

I called this morning and swapped the hotel to Port Orleans Riverside! In a Royal Guest Room!! No fuss or anything, same price that was quoted yesterday, all sorted! So it was just a little to upgrade to the dining plan, so I chose that.

I feel so much better! As much as I want to stay in AoA, something just didn't feel right and I think we'll have a much better time in PORS. Will still have to visit AoA though!! :) Feeling so happy and excited right now!:rotfl:

POR is a beautiful resort. I like AoA from when I visited, but it's quite loud and motel like, whereas POR is a bit more adult, peaceful and laid back.

I think you picked a great resort - well worth upgrading for the free QSDP too!

POR is a beautiful resort. I like AoA from when I visited, but it's quite loud and motel like, whereas POR is a bit more adult, peaceful and laid back.

I think you picked a great resort - well worth upgrading for the free QSDP too!

That was I was thinking, more relaxing after long days at the parks :) perfect! I'm going with my mum so I think she'd like it more haha

After booking I found out my sister's and brother-in-law's trip will overlap!! I thought they were going for next Christmas, but apparently not :rotfl:

I did love the rooms at AoA! They look so cute (and so well done too!)... but DH wasn't convinced! ;) Perhaps when we have small people in tow, I'll be able to convince him (for their sake, of course! :thumbsup2)

ETA: Which theme room did you go for? :D

I was just in a standard Little Mermaid room but now I've changed to POR I'm in a Royal Guest Room!! :woohoo:

Hi Sarah,

You and your mum will have a fabulous time.

All resorts look wonderful,and we've not been disappointed with any we've stayed at from values to deluxe resorts.

We love Disney.:goodvibes

Ps I love your username.:lovestruc

Hi Sarah,

You and your mum will have a fabulous time.

All resorts look wonderful,and we've not been disappointed with any we've stayed at from values to deluxe resorts.

We love Disney.:goodvibes

Ps I love your username.:lovestruc

Hey! We really will :lovestruc

I can't believe I'm finally going! I've wanted to for as long as I can remember!

Aww thank you :lovestruc

The dining plan is fab too.

All the choice is amazing,and I'm a rather selective eater!
Would never dream of going all inclusive or even half board in a "normal" hotel.:lmao:

I can't get Pocahontas out of my head now.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter