• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need advice on where to stay!

4chickadees

Earning My Ears
Hi all!
We will be traveling next Thanksgiving for Disney. Five of our children have been to Disney (we go about every 2 years) but our newly adopted daughter from Ethiopia (she will be about 9 yrs old when we travel) has never been.

We are DVC members and are trying to figure out where to stay. Our older children are in high school and our children ages go down to elementary (our adopted daughter is our youngest).

We have stayed at Beach Club, Boardwalk, Old Key West and Animal Kingdom. We are considering Bay Lake Towers, but I have read conflicting reviews.

We are hoping to let our oldest children go off on their own, but we will stay with the younger ones.

Any suggestions on where to stay & what works well for teenagers off on their own. Any problem with cell coverage in the parks?

Thanks for your help!
Laura

Hi all!
We will be traveling next Thanksgiving for Disney. Five of our children have been to Disney (we go about every 2 years) but our newly adopted daughter from Ethiopia (she will be about 9 yrs old when we travel) has never been.

We are DVC members and are trying to figure out where to stay. Our older children are in high school and our children ages go down to elementary (our adopted daughter is our youngest).

We have stayed at Beach Club, Boardwalk, Old Key West and Animal Kingdom. We are considering Bay Lake Towers, but I have read conflicting reviews.

We are hoping to let our oldest children go off on their own, but we will stay with the younger ones.

Any suggestions on where to stay & what works well for teenagers off on their own. Any problem with cell coverage in the parks?

Thanks for your help!
Laura

We own and enjoy BLT. With your bigger group, it also has the extra bathroom. Phone coverage has never been an issue. That 5 min walk to MK is really convenient as well. Have a great trip.

What is your number one consideration?

Your new daughter and her pleasure?
Your teens and where to stay?
Wanting to try something new?

We have been to WL, Beach Club and only one night at POR.

We all liked them all for different reasons. Another question pops up when I think of some of those reasons. Do you prefer deluxe or you don't mind doing buses? With my experience I might say WL because it is nicely themed, it is close to MK, I like the boat ride to MK. Because of my mother we have done deluxes and we have been spoiled. I like hotels versus motels. I like that the kids can go down stairs to get a bagel while the rest are getting ready. My father likes being able to use his credit for eggs, toast, bacon and a coffee while he enjoys the atmosphere there. We usually have cold cereal for breakfast and the kids who want to add to that can use their snack for a bagel or what not. I like that it feels safer to me them walking downstairs versus say POR having to walk possibly quite a way to get to the eatery! We loved the decor at the Beach Club and the pool was awesome! We had wanted to try it out and decided that was a good year for the ages of the kids and being able to use the pool. It was a great experience for all being there! But we all enjoyed WL and it was less! We haven't quite dared to try AK, but would like to be convinced. It sounds like a great experience for the kids.

Just things to consider and well I don't know what is running through your mind.

We own in the WL and Boardwalk.
Personally, I feel the boardwalk or beach club would be the better choice. Your older children can easily walk off on their own to Epcot or Hollywood Studios - and at night there are things (as I'm sure you know) around the boardwalk to do. I just personally love the easy convenience of the Boardwalk and Beach. Being able to walk places without always getting on a bus to get somewhere is so nice. Not to mention - if you stay at the beach club, your youngest addition would probably love the pool there!!!

We own at DVC. For us the convenience of being able to walk to MK can't be beat. Plus you can take monorail to Epcot also.

We have stayed at AKL and while I love seeing all the animals, it is far off the beaten path to the parks.

Hi all!

Thanks for your help!
Laura

You may want to book at your home resort now (since you are about 11 months out) and see what is available at seven months out. If you wait too long, you might not get anything.

Thanks so much for the help! We do love to be pampered at a DVC resort. One last question -- if we get a 2 bedroom at Bay Lake Towers, we will feel squished? (I know it supposed to sleep 9, and there are only 8 of us, but is there enough space?)

Thanks!!!

I would try to book a dedicated 2 br in this case. (So book ASAP!!!!) so you can have the two queens in the second bedroom, as opposed to 1 queen and a pull out.
The extra bathroom, in this case, will also be wonderful for you. I think you should be fine in a 2 br, but I'm ok with being in close quarters on vacation.

I say Bay Lake or Contemporay. It is close to MK so less worry in my opinion with buses and the kids being on their own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter