Need Advice on tipping for housekeeping

JesseBelle

Earning My Ears
My hubby and I will be staying at the Pop for a week. How much should we tip the housekeeper? Do we do it every day or at the end of the week? Do we put the tip in an envelope or just leave it on the table? We don't travel much and I'm not sure how much cash to bring with me and in what denominations. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

This seems to be quite a common question. From what I have read here on the Dis, it seems that most people who leave a tip leave about $1 for each person staying in the room. I would leave the tip in an envelope clearly labeled for mousekeeping. They generally will not touch money that is just left laying. It is better to tip each day since it could be a different person cleaning your room each day.

Re: Mousekeeping Tips

1) We do not leave tips at WDW for housekeeping.
2) At most hotels, maids are poorly paid.
3) At WDW, the maids are paid well, and in a NON-TIPPED job classification.
4) In fact, they are paid more than many other WDW jobs.
5) WDW maids (per union contract)
. . . make up to $13.18/hr
. . . leave 45-minutes early and be paid for it
. . . make up to $1.00/hr in Flex bonus
. . . make up to $22.00/room incentive pay
. . . make up to $35.00/room incentive pay for DVC rooms
. . . work very desirable schedules versus other CM's

NOTE: On the topic of tipping: Do you tip ride operators who make
less than maids? Do you tip Front Desk or Concierge personnel who
make less than maids? The whole idea of Walt is that everyone gets
treated the same, whether they can afford to tip or not. Plus, he did
not want people to have to tip everywhere they went or for every
service they received.

We always use the mousekeeping envelopes from the Mouseforless site:

http://www.themouseforless.com/downloads/trip/mousekeeping.shtml

Just print them off before the trip, fold them, stuff them, and then remove one from the safe every day and leave on the counter. We always leave $1.00-$2.00/person. Just be sure and leave one each morning as your housekeeper may change during the week.

We, too use the envelopes from themouseforless. For daily mousekeeping we leave $1 pp and put the envelopes on one of the bed pillows. We don't leave a tip on check-out day since they are cleaning for the next vacationers.

service they received.
I'm telling you.....when we move south, dh wants to be a boat CM and I'm going to work in housekeeping!!! I figure that I can make a fair amount of money doing that!!
I keep telling people that housekeepers are well compensated and that Disney does not consider housekeeping to be a 'tippable position'...but people continue with the tradition.

In short....will you get less than good service if you don't tip? Nope. Will you get better service if you do tip?? You shouldn't. Do I tip??? Sometimes. If I have incredible housekeeping (really clean room, daily replenishment of toiletries, towel animals, etc) then I may tip a few dollars the next day. But is it madatory? Absolutely not.

For those that decide to tip...it is best to tip daily. Your housekeeper could possibly change, so if you wait until the last morning, you could be tipping a housekeeper that only cleans your room that one day!!!
How much?? $1 a day, per person..unless you are really messy. I tend to make the beds myself, wipe down the vanities and not leave stuff all over the place. So more than a few dollars a day would be excessive for me.

service they received.

WOW!!!:confused3 Who knew? All these years on the boards, and this is the FIRST time I've seen this! Very Interesting to be sure! Thanks!:)

service they received.
[/QUOTE
Whether you want to tip is up to you, but your salary information is wrong. According to the latest job posting on the WDW web site, the STARTING salary is $ 8.35/hr. You might need to work at WDW for 20 years before you can make up to $ 13.18/hr. If you made $ 17,000 a year I don't think you would be taking a vacation at WDW.
The minimum wage in Florida is $ 7.67/hr, which is what a lot of the workers in the parks receive. Is $ 8.35/hr better than a ride operator wage at $ 7.67/hr. Of course it is, but I would rather push a button to stop and start a ride rather than cleaning toilets and making beds.
Also, the "incentive pay" is misleading. There are rules for the maximum number of rooms that a housekeeper can clean in a shift. If for some reason they are short of housekeepers (illness, etc) as the rooms need to be cleaned then a housekeeper is given incentive pay to clean the extra rooms. Weeks or months can go by without a housekeeper getting a chance to earn incentive pay, so quoting your figures makes it seems that housekeeping is the best paid job at WDW, when it is far from it.
Here is the relevant job posting from the WDW web page:
Job details
Job Posting Title Housekeeping- Full Time, Walt Disney World
Job Description For many of our guests, staying at one of the world famous Walt Disney World® Resort Hotels is a dream come true. Our Housekeeping Hosts and Hostesses help bring those dreams to life by creating special memories and a home-away-from-home experience for each of our guests every day.

Housekeeping Hosts and Hostesses receive a starting rate of $8.35/hour.

Responsibilities As a member of the Housekeeping team, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, overall cleaning of guest rooms, including stripping and making beds, vacuuming, dusting, and replenishing items such as linens, amenities and various supplies. Housekeeping cast members also interact with guests daily, responding in a timely manner to their requests, assisting with directions and sharing information.

Basic Qualifications You must be at least 18 years of age to be considered for this role.
Heavy lifting and working with chemicals are required.
This role is Full-Time and requires full availability for any shift, any day, including nights, weekends, and holidays.

Preferred Qualifications Bilingual preferred
One (1) year of previous Housekeeping experience.
Previous housekeeping responsibilities for up to 14 rooms a day
Full availability for any shift, seven (7) days per week, including nights, weekends, and holidays is preferred.

Additional Information SCHEDULE AVAILABILTY
Our Theme Parks and Resort Hotels operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and some shifts may start as early as 5:00am while some may end as late as 3:00am, 4:00am or 5:00am. Please note that the principles of seniority are used to schedule all roles.

SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
After clicking “Apply for this job” below, the employment application will open in a new window. Please complete ALL pages of the application by clicking “Next” on each page, then “Submit” on the final page.

IMPORTANT:
You may only apply once in a six month period. If you have applied within the last six months, please log in to your account to view your current application status.

KEYWORD: WDW Casting
Primary Location-City Lake Buena Vista
Primary Location-State FL
Primary Location-Country US
Auto req ID 6614BR

Wow this info is amazing. I usually tip daily a few dollars per day which appeared to be appreciated by the maid, rooms tend to be spotless with towel art to boot. Last trip room wasn't cleaned as well so I didn't tip as much as usual and left nothing a couple of days when we were left without coffee, tissues, toilet rolls and what appeared to be a half cleaned room - maybe there was an emergency....

We stayed last week. The first night my son's pull-up leaked and the bed needed a full change so we tipped $4 that day. The other days we tipped $2 because literally, all we did was sleep and shower in the room. There were no meals taken in the room and we are very good about cleaning up after ourselves. We generally left the money on the bed but one day my son had brought his stuffed Mickey to sleep with and we sat Mickey up with the money in his hands and a thank you note. The cm's seemed to have a little fun arranging the kid's stuffies each day and that morning they definitely went above and beyond. They put crowns and pirate hats that the kids had made on the stuffies' heads and just made them all look super cute and arranged them about the room. The last day we tipped $4 again because we had alot of garbage to be taken out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter