Need Advice On Resale Purchase For Grand Californian

elysecia

Earning My Ears
We live in Northern California and visit Disneyland every other year in December and then again during the summer. We usually stay for a week at a timeshare resort about 20 minutes away, but now it seems to make more sense to buy on property. We are also planning to visit WDW in 2018. We have 5 children so we absolutely need a 2 bedrooms and will for at least the next 20 years since our youngest is under 2.

Looking at the points chart I can see we will need a significant amount of points to stay during those seasons - much more than I have seen in any single contract. So I am trying to determine what makes the most sense in terms of buying. I know we need to purchase with DGC as our home resort so we have the 11 month window. If we also purchase a contract from a Florida resort would we be able to bank those points and combine them to have enough for a DGC reservation? And of course vice versa for our Florida reservations?

If we also purchase a contract from a Florida resort would we be able to bank those points and combine them to have enough for a DGC reservation? And of course vice versa for our Florida reservations?

No, can't do that unfortunately. You can combine them if you book 7 months out though.

You can either buy a VGC contract and bank/borrow points so you have enough for your vacation, or you can buy 2 (or more) VGC contracts until you have enough points. If both VGC contracts are the same UY, they will be on the same membership number and you can use the points together. If you buy 2 VGC contracts with different UY, then you would have to transfer points from one to the other and book that way, or book the first half with one contract and the second half with the other, or bank/borrow on each contract alternating years (though overall much better to buy same UY in this case if you're going to use the points together).

Don't worry, there are contracts that will have the number of points you need although I'd recommend you at least buy 2 or maybe even 3 contracts to reach your desired total of points. It will allow you to either downsize or sell much easier in the future. It will add a few hundred dollars more on the front end but in the overall cost I'd guess that's going to equate to around an extra dollar per point at most.

As mentioned, if DL is the main destination then you should own all points there as you cannot combine with another home resort for the 11 month mark. Each resort always keeps its home resort priority based on the contract, not on the owners other contracts.

Now if WDW is going to become one of your trips consistently you could buy a contract for your VGC stays and one for your WDW stays.

We live in Northern California and visit Disneyland every other year in December and then again during the summer. We usually stay for a week at a timeshare resort about 20 minutes away, but now it seems to make more sense to buy on property. We are also planning to visit WDW in 2018. We have 5 children so we absolutely need a 2 bedrooms and will for at least the next 20 years since our youngest is under 2.

Looking at the points chart I can see we will need a significant amount of points to stay during those seasons - much more than I have seen in any single contract. So I am trying to determine what makes the most sense in terms of buying. I know we need to purchase with DGC as our home resort so we have the 11 month window. If we also purchase a contract from a Florida resort would we be able to bank those points and combine them to have enough for a DGC reservation? And of course vice versa for our Florida reservations?
It sounds like you're looking at around 400-550 points to use for a week in a 2 BR yearly around Xmas every year depending on the exact timing. For that number range I'd go with 2 contracts the same UY if you can't find a larger one. 2 separate but linked contacts at that number of points has some advantages but once you find one it might be more difficult to find a second to match it. UY is also important in this situation and Dec is by far the best option. Were I in this situation and it was clear buying was a good choice, I'd start looking for Dec UY at fair prices. I wouldn't try to get the best price but a fair price and I wouldn't be afraid to do larger contracts or stripped contracts to arrive at that goal. That's a chunk of change to invest in a yearly trip plus yearly fees and a long term commitment. If you end up buying smaller contracts, try to get a trip or 2 under your belt before you get too many points so you can be sure this is truly a good fit for you. I wouldn't set out to buy multiple (more than 2 or 3) smaller contracts purposefully as it'll raise your costs and it doesn't give you anything extra to speak of.

It sounds like you're looking at around 400-550 points to use for a week in a 2 BR yearly around Xmas every year depending on the exact timing. For that number range I'd go with 2 contracts the same UY if you can't find a larger one. 2 separate but linked contacts at that number of points has some advantages but once you find one it might be more difficult to find a second to match it. UY is also important in this situation and Dec is by far the best option. Were I in this situation and it was clear buying was a good choice, I'd start looking for Dec UY at fair prices. I wouldn't try to get the best price but a fair price and I wouldn't be afraid to do larger contracts or stripped contracts to arrive at that goal. That's a chunk of change to invest in a yearly trip plus yearly fees and a long term commitment. If you end up buying smaller contracts, try to get a trip or 2 under your belt before you get too many points so you can be sure this is truly a good fit for you. I wouldn't set out to buy multiple (more than 2 or 3) smaller contracts purposefully as it'll raise your costs and it doesn't give you anything extra to speak of.

A question about UY. I understand that's the month when you receive a new allotment of points, but is their a priority on making a reservation for people who own in that UY?

No but it dermines which points you use for a given time/trip and how much time and flexibility you have if something happens and you have to change, cancel or rent. If you'll go consistently in Dec, a Dec UY is worth in the range or 1 years worth of points, though it's variable based on the likelihood you might have to change or cancel a given trip. Look at it as insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter