• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need advice on planning 1st trip to DLP

scotthart

You didn't see anything
OK DW loves Paris, and I love WDW so I am thinking of booking a trip this fall to spend a couple of days in Paris and a couple at DLP. I have been lurking these boards off and on for a few months but would like some input from those of you with experience. First can anyone recommend a travel agent that can help with the entire trip? DW's parents work for Continental so we do not need to worry about airfare, but will need lots of help with all transfers and hotel. I know that on our DLP days I want to stay on-site but which hotel? At WDW we love the Poly, GF, and AKL. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome! you may find it difficult to use an American based agency to plan a trip to DLRP (at least, I have found that to be the case).

If you have a Thomas Cook agency, that would be my first place of inquiry. Otherwise, agents can book a room for you, but they probably won't be as aware of specials and the resorts themselves. In the US, Disney offers the 'College of Knowledge' to agents to become experts about WDW and DL, but nothing for DLRP. The travel agent guide in the US also only covers the American parks and Disneycruiseline.

I suggest checking out the official DLRP website, but when it comes to rate quotes, select 'UK' as your country, not 'US'. This will allow you to see the various offers. Then you can ask your agent to check availability, or book yourself online.

I hope that helps somewhat!

Wow, what a fount of knowledge you are, Bavaria - great information!

Scotthart, as your airfare is sorted why don't you book direct with DLP? You can book your accommodation and park tickets from them and everyone on this board can help you organise your transfers from the airport to DLP as many UK visitors fly into Charles de Gaulle airport and have all the necessary info about shuttles, trains etc.
As for hotels, there are several suitable. The Disneyland Hotel is most similar to the GF or AKL in Orlando. I would say the Hotel New York and Newport Bay Club are nearest to a moderate WDW resort. Have a look at the official DLP website to get an idea of what the hotels are like.
When you have more questions, do ask!!!

Hi Scotthart and welcome to DLP DIS board :wave2:
I see that others have already offered good advice so just wanted to say what a lovely treat for DW :)

diberry said:
Wow, what a fount of knowledge you are, Bavaria - great information!

:rotfl2: Yeah, look at me - two weeks on the DLRP boards and I've become an expert!!

Seriously, though, it's a tough time trying to plan from North America. Finding guide books is almost impossible, so I suggest doing a search on Ebay and/or Amazon for some used copies from the UK (I'm still waiting for mine to arrive) Travel agencies don't have any useful information at all.

Do go to the official website and order the holiday brochures. I am currently using one from 2002 until my 2006 copies arrive.

And I have learned to ask questions here - this is the best place to discuss DLRP on the web, in my opinion. You will get quick responses, filled with detail.

bavaria said:
I have learned to ask questions here - this is the best place to discuss DLRP on the web, in my opinion. You will get quick responses, filled with detail.
You have excellent taste!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Thanks everyone! Its good to know that in two short weeks I can be an expert too, Bavaria :rotfl: I will do a little homework and be back soon with more questions. I do like the idea of booking the DLP portion of the trip directly, but I have no idea about where to stay and what to do in Paris for the remainder of the trip. That is why I was leaning towards using an agent.

scotthart said:
I have no idea about where to stay and what to do in Paris for the remainder of the trip. That is why I was leaning towards using an agent.
As Paris is the city of romance maybe this would be of interest http://www.conciergerie.com/main.htm?O=PO&P=romantic.htm
There's so much to see and do in Paris - have a look at some tourist websites to get an idea. My DD and I are going on a Segway tour in June if you like that sort of thing.http://www.citysegwaytours.com/paris There are also plenty of bus tours etc, wonderful restaurants, art galleries and museums galore or just walk along the banks of the Seine - everything for every taste.

I booked my trip from america and found information very lacking, triple A couldn't help and the disney paris website seemed very pricey I'm wondering if they're quoting in pounds and converting to dollars. Anyway you have two choices...calling paris direct or what I did which was book through expedia. I found a hotel off premises (explorer) for 115 USD and am still sorting out tickets but they run about 40 usd for children and 50 for adults. By the way expedia also has hotels on premises that include park tickets and seem very resonably priced..starting at 227 usd for davey crocektt to 557 usd for disneyland certainly worth a try.

Seems that DLP is missing an opportunity here if USA visitors are finding it difficult :)

I'm also in the U.S. and recently planned my first trip to DLP last fall. It was not easy. But the folks on this board were very helpful and very nice.

First off, I could not find a TA in the U.S. who knew a whit about DLP.

The best guidebook I found was Simon Veness's Brit's Guide. (Beware of the Unofficial Guide which is dated and therefore, not always accurate.) You can purchase Simon's book from Amazon. And I believe he frequents this board.

Since you already have airfare, I would recommend booking directly with DLP. Go to their website and request their written material. There will be pricing (in dollars) there. Also, go to the DLP website to look for discounts. You have to click on your country to see prices and sometimes I found discounts for Brits that didn't appear for the U.S. There's an international number to call from the U.S. to book.

The easiest way to get from CDG to DLP is Disney's own bus. It has a regular schedule and is also on the internet. Unlike DME, there is a charge.

I stayed on site at the Disneyland Hotel. It was very nice, but not quite GF - it really needs a good renovation. The best part about the hotel is that it is right next to the Disneyland park entrance and steps away from Downtown Disney and Disney Studios. Breakfast comes with the room and this hotel has an excellent character breakfast buffet. My only tip about the buffet is to get there early!

Oh, and the other thing different from WDW is that rooms generally come with tickets - when you book a room they assume you also want length of stay tickets. The only benefit I got from booking by phone versus on-line was that I could request a non-smoking room. I didn't see that as an option for on-line bookings.

Finally, book the Buffalo Bill dinner show when you reserve your room. It's not like Hoop De Do in that the earlier bookings get the better seats. You have to get there early to get the best seats. But during busy times, they do sell out. The food is mediocre (hands down, the worst chili I've ever tasted) but the show is amazing - they have live buffalo! And it's all you can drink beer!

beachbunny said:
And it's all you can drink beer!

This sounds good on paper but the beer seems strangley either non or low alchoholic.

The speed I gulped down the glasses to ensure a fill up when the server passes and the fact I'd not really eaten all day. I expected to get slightly drunk.

Anyway its a really great show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter