Need advice on photo paper type....

sherry7

DIS Veteran
I need some advice please.

I am preparing to print my son's senior pics...mostly outdoor shots with a lot of fall colors/foliage, and a few indoor studio shots. Each photo is also done in B&W as well, but I doubt I'll print many of those. (Before anyone asks, I purchased the digital rights/copyright from the photographer...so all is legal. :) )

Anyway, I'm planning on having them printed at AdoramaPix, since I've been happy with their service in the past. I'm debating on what type of paper to use though. There's the standard Kodak Royal Glossy, and there is also Kodak Endura Matte, Endura Lustre, and Metallic.

I'm debating on either the Endura Matte or the Metallic. I've never used Metallic before though, so I'm a little indecisive about that.

Normally, I would order a few test prints of each type of paper. However, I've really procrastinated on doing this, and I really need to get the pictures soon so I can send out his graduation announcements.

Advice please? Which would you use?

Thanks. :)

the metallic is really metallic. i really like it for somethings, imo more abstract prints and some black and white but it might be a little overly metallic for portraits . personally i think of it as more of a "different" effect so i probably wouldn't do the whole set in it( jmho) what does adorama recommend for portraits? i've always been happy with their prints so i would go with their recommendations. or you could always get one or 2 printed with the metallic then if you don't like it get it reprinted with another paper.

the metallic is really metallic. i really like it for somethings, imo more abstract prints and some black and white but it might be a little overly metallic for portraits . personally i think of it as more of a "different" effect so i probably wouldn't do the whole set in it( jmho) what does adorama recommend for portraits? i've always been happy with their prints so i would go with their recommendations. or you could always get one or 2 printed with the metallic then if you don't like it get it reprinted with another paper.

Thanks for your opinion Jann. :) I'll play it safe and go with the Endura Matte.

I love metallic! And I do use it for portraits. If the fall colors are bright, the metallic might be awesome. If he has red/ruddy skin tones though, I'd stay away from the metallic.

Personally I strongly dislike matte (but not as much as glossy!), and my default is lustre. Pretty much all the other photogs I know also use lustre.

I love metallic! And I do use it for portraits. If the fall colors are bright, the metallic might be awesome. If he has red/ruddy skin tones though, I'd stay away from the metallic.

Personally I strongly dislike matte (but not as much as glossy!), and my default is lustre. Pretty much all the other photogs I know also use lustre.

I'm glad you mentioned the ruddy skin tones and metallic. His cheeks are always a little red.

I was debating between the matte and the lustre. After reading up on it a little, I think I'll go with the lustre. Thanks for your opinions. :)

Now the problems is deciding which ones to print. I have almost 500 pictures to choose from, and like almost all of them. Decisions, decisions! :confused3

Here are 4 of my favorites.

3537329432_a634e187b7.jpg

3536512119_b67a431f4b.jpg

3537323640_fd428145f9.jpg

3537320412_f03b359509.jpg

IMO, if Adorama lets you mix paper types on a single order (my lab doesn't), then order the 1st one on metallic and the others on lustre. B&Ws look good on metallic too.

Lustre is my preference for portraits. It has more depth and saturation than matte without the intense reflective glare of glossy.

Metallic can be gimmicky. Clients like it, because it's different, but I don't like what it does to skin tones. I do love it for some things, like high contrast black and white (eg industrial, architectural subjects). I have a color print on metallic paper of Cinderella Castle in my office that I love.

Have you looked at Mpix? They are the only lab I will use if I don't print it myself. They have a sample kit you can order with the different paper to see which ones you like. They will also mix paper.

Generally, the silk paper is very well suited for any kind of portraits, especially formal portraits like wedding shots - which would be the kind of shot you are after, I think. It delivers lovely skin tones and has a very delicate texture to it. It's more matte than our Lustre paper. The Kodak Endura Supra Lustre has a slight sheen to it, not as much as the Metallic or Glossy, but it's a good all around paper, a very fine surface texture and closest to "semi-gloss."

The Supra Matt(TM) might be a good choice also, nice rich blacks and good detail with no texture to the finish - it depends on your subject matter, and personal preference.

BTW, for those that don't know, when someone sets up a new account with AdoramaPix (which is FREE!) they get 25 free prints. Many people use these free 4x6s to order some prints on all the different paper types. We usually recommend that you print something that you have already seen in print, that way you can compare. It really is easy to set up an account, order some prints for free and see for yourself.

The only paper type we don't offer in a 4x6 size is the Silk, but if you'd like to email me with your mailing address, I can pass it along and see that you get some samples.

I hope this helps

Hi Helen, and thanks for the reply. :) I ended up ordering them with the Kodak Endura Supra Lustre paper...they'll be here tomorrow, so I'm anxiously looking forward to seeing them.

Just a question....is Adorama ever going to allow mixed paper types on the same order? While I absolutely love your service and quality, that really is a downfall. I know I can do separate orders, but of course that entails an additional shipping charge.

Actually, we allow that now. You just have to set up separate JOBS -and then you can have as many jobs as you want in one order with one shipping charge.

Please do come back to me if I can help with anything else.

Thanks for letting me know that Helen. I'll definitely try that next time. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter