• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need advice on choosing a resort/room - very tall DH, kids sharing beds, etc.

Autumnslight

DIS Veteran
I'm probably making this WAY more complicated than it needs to be, but I'd love some thoughts from those more experienced with Disney resorts!

We went on our first family trip, along with a friend and her son, a couple of weeks ago, and we rented a 4 bedroom villa offsite. It was super affordable, and HUGE! Now we're looking to go back in early December (12/6-12/3 probably), just my husband, myself, our 7 year old son, and 3 year old daughter. We'd love to stay onsite this time, but I just can't figure out what our best option is for a (reasonably affordable) room!

My family of four actually stayed one night in a standard room at Pop Century, and while we loved the resort, there is NO way we could stay in a room like that for more than a night or two. My husband is 6' 5" and just a big guy in general, so a double bed does NOT work for him. Even a queen isn't very comfortable for he and I to share, but we could at least live with it for a week I think.

Our kids are 3 and 7. They're both active sleepers, plus they tend to fight a lot, so I don't know how well having them share a bed would work out.

I would LOVE to stay in a suite at Art of Animation, but it's just too expensive. We could stay offsite, with a rental car, for literally less than a third of the cost.

It sounds like my only other less expensive options that would have three beds, at least one of which is a queen size, would be a preferred room at Port Orleans Riverside, or a family suite at All-Star Music. Am I missing anything else?

I have a preferred room at POR booked right now, but I'm really wavering on whether to cancel it and just stay offsite again. Even though I'd love to be onsite, I'm not really that into the theming of POR from what I've seen online, and offsite would be a bunch cheaper.

I'd love to hear any opinions or advice on our options and what might work well for our particular needs!

Why do you want to stay onsite?

We are in a bunk bed room at WL, perfect for 2 kids. The other bed is a queen.

We've stayed at POR a couple of times and really liked it (and I'm a self-admitted resort snob).

Just following along to see responses! We are in similar situation with family of 5! We stayed for 10 days in lion king suite at AoA but even though we loved the theme and the extra room we honestly were not in the room that much to justify the expense again! We are booked for September 2014 at POR and I just hope I won't be disappointed....but hey it's Disney right?!?! Just hoping when we do leave the parks to get some rest we are comfortable!

We loved POR and would happily stay there again, but my son is, now too big for the Murphy bed. My children (DD14 & DS10) want their own bed. We are booked WL bunk bed room.

Some of the deludes have 2 queen beds and a daybed (I actually think all do except WL and AKL). And I understand the not fitting in a double - last time we stayed at a value my tall husband had a bed to himself and I (at 7 mos pregnant) had to share with my 5 year old and 2 year old, lol. Not comfy! Although our two year old was supposed to sleep in a pack and play but she kept climbing out.

We stayed at POR on our last trip and loved it. We're a family of five, with two under 3 on our last trip so we were able to stay in a regular room and we had plenty of space. We were in a royal room but once our youngest turns 3 we will have to stay in one of the rooms with a murphy bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter