Need advice from those with Arthritis who walk the parks over renting an EVC!!

Tiggerlovinggrandma

Mouseketeer
I am in the process of losing alot of weight. So far I have dropped 87 lbs but still have a long way to go. I walk 1 mile each night and plan to slowly increase this but not before we leave for WDW in 2 weeks. I have Arthritis in both knees. For the past few years I have had to rent an EVC for touring Disney as my knees get painful from all the walking and standing. I was hoping I might be able to walk at least 1 or 2 of the parks this time around since I have dropped a little weight. I'm not sure if I am being silly to even think that I can do this since I still have more weight to lose. Nevertheless I was wondering if anyone who has Arthritis in their knees, hips, ankles or feet with a weight issue or not, and walks the parks has any tips as to how I can actually do this. I hate being a burden to my family about as much as I hate renting an EVC's.Any tips or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

PS. Can't take Advil or Motrin nor joint supplements.

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I really would suggest renting a wheelchair or ECV and then switch off to someone else at bits where you want to walk (or use the wheelchair as a walker if you get a wheelchair rather than an ECV). Some of the ride lines are 1/4 of a mile long and your 1 mile/day of walking is probably not going to last far in any of the parks, unfortunately. (Especially if you think about how far you might have to walk from parking to get into the park)

I would say the concern is less your weight and more your stamina. It's not unusual to walk 4-6 miles a day at WDW even in the smaller parks. There's no rule that says you have to be using your wheelchair/ECV the entire time you're in a park.

Another thing to think about is what do you do for pain relief at home? Do you heat? Ice? Since you say you can't do medication/supplements, I'd look into what pain relief things you can do and try to figure out how you can access them at WDW. If all you do is rest, then I really think you really do need to look at the ECV option because it's hard to rest at WDW!

I take Tylenol for the pain (have you tried Tylenol arthritis). I have yet to rent an ECV as I feel it goes too slow for me. When at the resort I apply ice or heat to the area. If youa re staying at a resort with a hot tub than there would be a good option. If you want to try walking than I would probably recommend Hollywood studios but have the ECV there in case you need it. If your family is riding something you don't want to ride than find a nice shaded area and have a seat. There are some rides I can't ride so I relax while the rest of our group are in line for the ride.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was in an accident in June of 2004 and stuck in a scooter since.

I was hoping our next trip.....December......I would be walking well enough to say good bye to the scooter forever....or at least for now.

The doctor is once again talking about surgery on my left knee. I had been struggling....but getting worse. DH finally felt the knee as it moved (crackley and crunchy) and I had no more chance of hiding it.

I will make the best of it.....turn lemons into lemonaid. I'll name my scooter...decorate it for Christmas and put on my happy face. If I don't accept this, my DH and friends will worry about me the entire trip. It's easier to avoid all the fussing......and I KNOW it's all because they care.

All I wanted was to walk around World Showcase after Illuminations hand-in-hand with my husband.

I'll say to you what they all said to me.

Rent the scooter. If you don't need it...leave it in the room. If you are expecting a long day.....take it. Your decision affects everyone in your travel group.....because they care.

I do understand completely.

Good luck with all your efforts and I hope to see you walking around next year!

I agree - rent the scooter, and then only use it when you need it. I suggest bringing it to the park, parking it in an area, then walking around that area as you are comfortable. You can easily park it at a World Showcase country, walk around that area, then have the scooter to get to the next area.

If you use a bus, getting from the bus stop in the front of Epcot to the American Adventure pavilion is more than a mile of walking, and that is assuming you go there directly and do not do any attractions or take a longer path. AK is even bigger and harder to get around.

I am all for you maintaining your weight loss and trying to walk more in daily life - kudos to you for accomplishing all that!

But remember, there is a difference between surviving disney and actually enjoying it. Your family will not enjoy the vacation watching you be in lots of pain just to avoid the additional hassle of an ECV.

We went during the fourth of July week so it was very crowded. I was there with my daughter and granddaughter and I told them that I had to go very slow and stop and rest often because I wasn't comfortable with the crowds using a scooter. Every time one of them complained, I just reminded them that I was paying for their trip and I was perfectly willing to meet them somewhere. And that was exactly how I handled it and it worked fine (especially since, like you, I had lost quite a bit of weight). So my scooter stayed in the room except for the day we went to Downtown Disney.

I just wanted to say congrats on your weight loss!! :) That is a great accomplishment!

I agree with the PPs...rent an ECV. Then you will have it when you need it and can park it when you don't. You can pick a few lines that would be long to walk through (like the Safari, which would possibly take longer with the ECV anyway)... :)

Also, it helps to soak in a hot tub at the end of the day, too. We try to stay at resorts with hot tubs, or get 1 bedroom DVC to soak in the jacuzzi every night. I have RA and every now and then DH has to push me around in a wheelchair. I don't like it...but I have to listen to my body.

I also have RA. My first 16 trips or so I walked, sometimes I got methlyprednisolone packs from my doctor before the trip and took them while down there. Sometimes I used Tylenol as a supplement to my regular anti-inflammatory. I would walk, rest, eat, medicate, rest. Then 1 trip I couldn't walk through Epcot, and my husband rented a wheelchair for me. The next trip I brought one with me and he pushed me at Epcot again, but with the additional meds and rest I was able to walk the other parks. The past 2 trips I have had to be pushed in the wheelchair at all parks. The last trip I was very depressed about being so dependent, etc., and I have been very resistant to accepting that I may never be able to walk the parks at WDW again. But in the past few months my attitude has changed. My husband purchased a little GoGo scooter for me to use and I'm looking forward to the freedom to go where I want, when I want, without someone having to push me, and without all of that pain!

My thought is, if you can walk 1 mile each night right now, with rest and pain meds you will probably be ok. If it doesn't work, then rent the ecv or wheelchair. OR, spare your knees and rent the ecv right from the start. As others have said, you can always park it and walk some while you are there. Most of all, have fun!

My sister used a rollator on our last trip and it was a great help to her. She was able to walk and sit when needed without having to worry about going out of her way for a bench. It was great in the lines where we would have to stop for bits of time as she would be able to sit and relieve the pressure on her knees. We did rent her an EVC on the day we were doing most of the World Showcase at Epcot as that would have been too much for her, but the rollator was great at MK and HS. She did okay at AK, but that was also our first day and she had just had a treatment for her arthritis and psorisis that weakened her a bit. I think if we had gone later in the trip, she probably would not have had much issues at AK.

Thanks to the OP for this thread! I am in the process of being diagnosed with psoriasistic arthritis...still waiting on the remaining blood work to rule out other possibilities, but I fully understand the circumstances of the OP. DH and I have our first WDW trip in January since this all began and I just hope I don't have any flare ups where I can't make it through the day. My symptoms only started the end of July, but I've already had a few days where I thought I needed a wheelchair to get to my car after a day of too much walking and standing. (My pain is in my feet and hands.) Doctors started me on celebrex, but have now switched to naporoxen (24 hours into that med) so we'll see how it goes. I hope by January we get it under control enough that I can manage a "normal" life. I'm hesitant to get a wheelchair or ECV for the January trip, but don't want to worry about the what if's...what if I get to the back of EPCOT and then have a bad moment where I can't manage to get back out of the park. I think some of my paranoid thoughts are because I'm still pretty young, 44, and have a bit of denial with the whole disease still. Any more info or personal experiences you all can share is greatly appreciated...especially noting that I'm not alone in this boat. Thanks to all!

Thanks to the OP for this thread! I am in the process of being diagnosed with psoriasistic arthritis...still waiting on the remaining blood work to rule out other possibilities, but I fully understand the circumstances of the OP. DH and I have our first WDW trip in January since this all began and I just hope I don't have any flare ups where I can't make it through the day. My symptoms only started the end of July, but I've already had a few days where I thought I needed a wheelchair to get to my car after a day of too much walking and standing. (My pain is in my feet and hands.) Doctors started me on celebrex, but have now switched to naporoxen (24 hours into that med) so we'll see how it goes. I hope by January we get it under control enough that I can manage a "normal" life. I'm hesitant to get a wheelchair or ECV for the January trip, but don't want to worry about the what if's...what if I get to the back of EPCOT and then have a bad moment where I can't manage to get back out of the park. I think some of my paranoid thoughts are because I'm still pretty young, 44, and have a bit of denial with the whole disease still. Any more info or personal experiences you all can share is greatly appreciated...especially noting that I'm not alone in this boat. Thanks to all!

Momsgoofy -

There is one important thing to remember:

There is a difference between surviving Disney and enjoying it!

There is a LOT of walking in Disney, and most people go for several days at a time.

My suggestion for you is probably to rent a wheelchair from an off-site company (they are less expensive and a lot more comfortable than the park ones). When you feel able to walk, you can use it as a walker, just pushing it in front of you. When you need to sit (like when you have to wait a half hour for the next American Adventure show), you can sit in it. You can have a family member push you when you hurt too much.

The other suggestion is to get a rollator (rolling walker) with a seat on it. It is small and light, gives you something to lean on, and means you will always have a place to sit. This is especially useful for parades and fireworks.

I would suggest an ECV, but if you have problems with your hands, it may not work out so well. They requires strength and stamina in your fingers/wrist to drive (the accellerator is on the handle), and I think that would just make you hurt more.

I used to use a manual wheelchair for just that purpose - I started wheeling in Disney at age 22, and when I needed to get up and stretch I would push my sister in the wheelchair (she also has health issues). My grandmother- and aunt-in-law shared a wheelchair in WDW during my wedding/honeymoon. They walk just fine in daily life (if a bit slowly - they are both over 80), but they had no hope of doing Epcot! And AK is even bigger!

There is no shame in using a wheelchair when you need it. Remember - it is a tool, not a judgement. Using one in Disney is NOT a reflection of your disease or your daily needs. My father is annoyingly healthy (on the all-star team for his softball league at almost 60 yrs old, still runs several miles a day), and HE was sore and tired after Disney! I fully understand and empathize when you (and the OP) express reluctance to use a wheelchair, but I personally feel that keeping up with your family and not being in pain is worth getting one.

I hear a lot of the time how using a wheelchair is letting the disease win. And I always argue, NOT using the wheelchair is letting the disease win! If I stayed at home in bed all day because I was afraid or ashamed, if I did not go to Disney and enjoy my honeymoon, then THAT is letting the disease win!

Always follow doctors' advice, since an unneeded or improper mobility device can do more harm than good, but if you need something, then use it!

Congratulations on your weight loss!

I tend to agree with the above. If you can handle walking 4-5 miles a day, then I wouldn't worry so much. I was able to walk a mile a day before my last trip, and I was confident I would be able to do Disney without assistance. At 11 AM on my first day while sitting on a bench at Epcot crying in pain I realized how wrong I was. Every step was excruciating. I had a miserable day. The next day I rented a scooter (I was alone, so no manual wheelchair option) and the rest of my trip was pain free and happy:cloud9: I'm sure your traveling companions would rather you not be in pain at the happiest place on earth! Have a magical time!

I have osteoarthritis in my knees and hips (not too bad) but quite severe in my right ankle from a very bad break. I walk the parks with no problem. I was getting to where we were thinking I would need a chair when I lost 40 pounds. It made all the difference in the world! I still have to ice down my ankle at night but it really doesn't bother me too badly during the day. It just swells.

I take Tylenol (also can't take ibuprofen, naprosyn or any other NSAID's due to gastric ulcers). I also take Celebrex which is much kinder to the stomach than the NSAID's. You might want to ask you doctor about that.

You might want to try what someone suggested - rent the scooter, and park it and see how you do. If you need it, you have it. If you find you can walk, so much the better. Congrats on the weight loss! I do know what a idfference it makes to your walking ability. The more you lose, the easier it gets to increase your mileage.

I also have RA. My first 16 trips or so I walked, sometimes I got methlyprednisolone packs from my doctor before the trip and took them while down there. Sometimes I used Tylenol as a supplement to my regular anti-inflammatory. I would walk, rest, eat, medicate, rest. Then 1 trip I couldn't walk through Epcot, and my husband rented a wheelchair for me. The next trip I brought one with me and he pushed me at Epcot again, but with the additional meds and rest I was able to walk the other parks. The past 2 trips I have had to be pushed in the wheelchair at all parks. The last trip I was very depressed about being so dependent, etc., and I have been very resistant to accepting that I may never be able to walk the parks at WDW again. But in the past few months my attitude has changed. My husband purchased a little GoGo scooter for me to use and I'm looking forward to the freedom to go where I want, when I want, without someone having to push me, and without all of that pain!

My thought is, if you can walk 1 mile each night right now, with rest and pain meds you will probably be ok. If it doesn't work, then rent the ecv or wheelchair. OR, spare your knees and rent the ecv right from the start. As others have said, you can always park it and walk some while you are there. Most of all, have fun!

Just wanted to give you a quick :hug:. sounds like you have a great DH who helps to take care of you!

Also, just thought about this for the OP. The time of year you go is also important. When I took the mother/daughter trip in January it was FREEZING and kicked my butt! Good thing it was just for the weekend because I wasn't able to walk by the end of the weekend. I also use heat wraps that you can put on your knees and those help.

Hi there. I have RA in my knees, hips and shoulders (amazing how they hurt when walking, too!). I learned that renting a scooter was a very liberating experience. I could care less about other people - it made my trip so much better and my family enjoyed it so much more than having to sit and wait for me every 10 minutes. Naprosyn destroyed my stomach, so I can't take any anti-inflammatory meds either. Tylenol Arthritis strength does help, though.

Last trip, I had walking pneumonia right before our trip and the Dr. gave me a weekly course of predinisone - 5 tabs of 5 mg. a day. By the time I got to Disney World, I had absolutely NO pain and felt like I didn't have arthritis any more. It was wonderful. So, I talked to my Dr. about it and he agreed that it was perfectly fine to use it for a vacation twice a year. He gave me a prescription for my December trip with one refill on it.

It's a double-edged sword, though. You have to accept that you won't feel that good once it wears off, but for me, it was a great thing.

Take it easy, and do what will make your trip better, and don't worry about anyone else's opinion. Do what makes you feel the best.

KPeveler and others, you have posted some great info for a newly diagnosed person. I think KPeveler put it best though by saying there is a difference between surviving WDW and enjoying it because I love Disney so much I can't imagine not truly enjoying it. I suspect for the next trip, a chair of some kind will be included for me...just not sure which kind. I will be discussing this with my doc to see what would be best for me.
Again, thanks for the moral support and information!

KPeveler and others, you have posted some great info for a newly diagnosed person. I think KPeveler put it best though by saying there is a difference between surviving WDW and enjoying it because I love Disney so much I can't imagine not truly enjoying it. I suspect for the next trip, a chair of some kind will be included for me...just not sure which kind. I will be discussing this with my doc to see what would be best for me.
Again, thanks for the moral support and information!

It is not just for the newly diagnosed - for those of us with progressive conditions, we know that it will get worse "someday." A lot of us said "Maybe someday I will need a cane" or "Maybe someday I will need pain medication everyday." "Maybe someday I will need help with daily living things like walking."

It is just very hard to admit that "someday" could be today.

I try to stress that it IS very difficult to accept the need for something like a wheelchair. I just want people to realize that accepting it in Disney is NOT the same as accepting it in daily life. You cannot use Disney as a measuring stick for life.

Disney is too expensive and too much work to be miserable just for the sake of a little pride. Use whatever you need and enjoy your vacation!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter