Need advice for upcoming trip

pls5286

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I need advice for our trip coming up in Late April. It will be me, my dd 11 and ds 17. I have several different medical conditions that worry me about this trip. We will be doing MK, HS, AK, universal and IOA definitely. I have several issues:
- a very bad left knee. I have a new brace on the way. I have trouble standing for long times. The bad leg makes my good leg exhausted lol.
- a left ankle/foot nagging injury from a fall. I will wear a brace definitely and air cast if necessary.
- I have a shunt in my head due to too much spinal fluids. I get really really bad headaches.
- I have had 4 strokes but fully recovered. You can only tell when I get really tired and then I will start dragging my right side and some slurred speech.
- I am now insulin dependent diabetic so this has to go everywhere with me, but will need to be kept cool. I have a lunch box I usually keep in the car when we go somewhere, but this does not seem ideal for WDW if it is even allowed. I just started insulin in Dec so traveling with it is new.
- I have asthma that is not responding to the pollen to well in Ga.

I am going to get new shoes this week so they will be broke in for the trip.
I am thinking about getting one of those foldable canes to use when I need the extra boost.
I will be bringing pain meds with me. DS can drive if necessary

Will there be places in line where I can sit as the ride progresses? I don't think I could stand for extended wait times or could the kids wait and I join them close to entry?
Will my DS be able to take my DD on rides I am not able to do? What about parades and things?

Any suggestions on how I can make this trip memorable but not put me in the hospital immediately upon return? Is there anywhere to jus take a breather and cool down if necessary?

Thanks! And if you see anything that might be an issue please let me know.

I would highly suggest renting a wheelchair or ECV. It's cheaper and means you know you'll have one if you rent from off-site (the off-site vendors deliver), but you do have to manage it on the buses (or get one that breaks down to fit into a car). There aren't places to sit while waiting in line and there's no way for you to meet your sons when they get to the front of the line. WDW will tell you straight out that the only things that can be done when it comes to mobility and stamina issues is to use a mobility aid, such as wheelchair or ECV. An ECV would give you more independence, but requires more concentration to drive. If you rented a wheelchair either your sons could push you all the time or you could walk when you felt like walking pushing it like a walker and then have it to sit when necessary.

At WDW you're going to walk a minimum of 4 miles a day. That's every day and that's the low end. Most people walk more than 6 miles. You can use a wheelchair or ECV to get between lands and then park them if you want to walk through the lines. A couple of the lines are 1/4 mile long, though, so you may want to consider if you can stand long enough.

For the insulin, you might want to look into a Frio Wallet. You can then carry that with you and it will keep the insulin at the appropriate temperature.

There won't be any problem with your DS taking your DD on any rides that she's tall enough to ride (at 11 I could ride any ride at WDW so it's probably any ride). From what I can tell, if you want to rest in the room, he could take her to any of the parks without you. Most rides she could ride on her own with or without him.

As far as asthma and migraines go, keep to your schedule at home as much as possible when it comes to medications. Make sure to get enough liquid in. If you can do rope drop, you can get more done earlier in the day then have some down time at your resort during the hottest part of the day before going back to the parks in the evening. If heat is a trigger and you are there when it's really hot, try alternating indoor attractions with outdoor ones (all the indoor ones are air conditioned, as are the shops, indoor restaurants, etc.). If you need to, you can lie down in First Aid to get some downtime if you can't leave the park.

Wheeled Traveler gave you lots of good advice. The only thing I'd add is I think you'd be happier with an ECV instead of wheelchair. It you can walk some, you'll be able to park & not have to take it in restaurants, shops & bathrooms. Those are the only places that are any problem to me. Just keep the speed down in crowded areas. Rent a small 3 wheeled instead of the too expensive & too big ones they have at the parks. Buses are never a problem to me. Just try to use them at less crowded times. Enjoy your trip! :)

no place to sit and wait to ride with your kids. wheelchair or ECV can go in most lines so you can sit while waiting with them. a few rides require a change to a wheelchair, those rides will have a chair for you to use at that ride. any ride you do ride you can that chair or ECV right to the ride and it will be there for you when you get off. I second the rent off site for your stay, it is a lot cheaper that way. plus you have it in line to get back to resort or car which ever you do.

If you want to take extra insulin in case of loss they will refrigerate and store insulin at the first aid.

You can try a free scooter at home in the grocery store or retail store like Target. Those scooters are more bulky and cumbersome, but you will get the feel of it that way. You could also try a zoo for a day locally to see how you do in a park. You can rent scooters there, too. A lightweight, portable wheelchair can be bought pretty reasonably if you go that route.

Based on your own description of your health I don't think a cane will be enough. If you want to enjoy Disney then I would go for a scooter. You can have your family help you. If you are scared of bringing the scooter on a bus if you travel that way to the parks, then a family member can take over and do it for you. It sounds like you can do some walking and get on the bus yourself.

There is a first aid station in every park. There are cots in them if you need a break. They can also hold your diabetic supplies for you in a refrigerator there. You will have to go back there when you need to use your medicine and to get it when you leave the park. Using your own diabetic pack might be easier then going back and forth to first aid.

You do need to alternate rides, shows, attractions, exhibits and eating through the day. This will give you a chance to rest and cool off. I wouldn't do more than two rides in a row and if there is a long wait I would take a break after one ride. If you have to skip a ride for a rest then do so. Early is better at the parks. You get a lot more accomplished and it's less crowded.

I would think about wearing a good sun hat and maybe get a cooling aid like a bandana or a cooling vest. The bandanas are cheap to buy. A misting fan might help, too. Wear suntan lotion. Wear sunglasses. You can get free water and ice at food courts and concessions. Stay hydrated.

Doing Disney day in, day out can be grueling. You may need a nap back at the resort. MK and Epcot are open late; so, you can always return to those parks. You may even want to take a day off from the park depending on how many days you will be there. Don't overdo.

An ECV is much more maneuverable than a wheelchair and,in my opinion much easier to "drive" and use overall. My wife and I have been using the 3 wheeled type from Walker Mobility for years now. Last year we had friend travel down with us that brought his wheelchair with him and after 2nd day rented scooter as well, now says he would get scooter every trip as well. Hope that helps.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I am going to sit down with my son and we will discuss the ecv and everything, since he will be the one loading and unloading most of it. At 17 and being raised on a farm, I don't think the weight will be an issue for him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter