• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need advice - adult group of 6 - type of room(s) to book in January 2017?

lunaverse

Earning My Ears
I've been searching and going in circles - can't seem to make a choice on where to stay. I've looked at DVC (2 bedroom), 2 rooms at a value...I really don't know how to decide.

Here's my info:

Group of 6 adults. Looking for the most economical options (I'm paying for the room). I can put 4 adults/2 adults in 2 rooms if that's a option. One of the 6 has never been to WDW... so I'm looking to give her a good experience.

Having a kitchen would be okay, but isn't a dealbreaker. I've used accommodations with a kitchen before and ended up not using it.

Going to the World the 1st week of January 2017, probably for 5 days with 2 days at Universal. Doesn't matter which order I do those 2 parks in.

I would so appreciate anyone's advice....Thanks in advance!

I need more information - -for example -- the specifics of the group -- 3 "couples" 4 singles and 1 couple, all singles -- as in, how many can/will share a bed?

Tom

The cheapest way would be a value resort with 2 rooms- you will have 4 beds to share between the adults and will have to pay $20 a night in extra adult fees (10/per person over 2).

A DVC 2 bedroom will be more expensive and will give you 1 room with a king bed, 1 room with either 2 queen beds or 1 queen bed and 1 double sleeper sofa, and then the living room with 1 sleeper sofa and possibly a 2nd bed (either a chair or murphy bed that could be in either the living room or 2nd bedroom).

I would look at what options you need for sleeping surfaces to figure things out.

Thanks! It's my husband and I, my son and his girlfriend (over 25) and my son (22) and daughter (19). Our kids are okay to share a room. My son and daughter likely wouldn't share a bed but an air mattress might come in handy if the room size permits.

I'd do 3 value rooms. I'd imagine the son and girlfriend over 25 would want their own room! I know I would; I was engaged at that age, and wouldn't share with others.
Maybe 2 could possible connect if you get lucky. That way everyone would have a real bed.

It's funny that you brought that up - I thought the same thing initially. When I told them all I was planning to take them, they were thrilled. I also said that it wouldn't be fancy, and they looked at each other and both said 'we don't care where we sleep, we're going to DW!'.

Funny how flexible we can be when it's not on our dime. :D

It's funny that you brought that up - I thought the same thing initially. When I told them all I was planning to take them, they were thrilled. I also said that it wouldn't be fancy, and they looked at each other and both said 'we don't care where we sleep, we're going to DW!'.

Funny how flexible we can be when it's not on our dime. :D

I would caution against thinking they are okay just because they say that now. We planed a trip of 5 adults (3 in on room and 2 in another) and everyone originally said they were fine sharing until we actually go there. Once we arrived the issues started in the room of 3 because they didn't like the other people's schedules. So think to yourself does everyone have the same sleeping habits? Does anyone snore? Is 4 adults sharing 1 bathroom going to be an issue etc? It isn't just where they lay their heads but also the space.

You are absolutely right about that! But if I'm going to go 3 room at value, shouldn't I consider a villa?

I'm really not sure about the villas as we have never stayed in them. You could try renting DVC points and getting a bigger villa to keep everyone together. You could also just put everyone up at All Stars.

You could look at:
- AoA Suites: 1 Queen, 2 Full, but room for a blow up mattress for sure, 2 baths. Newer nicer value resort, well done suites. Kitchenette.
- ASMu Suites: 1 Queen, 1 Full, 2 Singles so no need for blow up mattress, 2 baths. Older resort but economical. Kitchenette.
- Ft Wilderness Cabins: 2 Fulls, Bunk bed with 2 singles (not sure how tall your DS is) in process of renovations so should be brand new when you go. Still debate if the bed will stay Full or become a Queen. Ovenless kitchen but a convection microwave.

- If I were looking at two values for adults I would for sure look at POP Century.

- Make sure you factor in additional adult charges for those rooms that require it.

I would consider renting points for DVC Villa - a two bedroom. Renting points will save you a lot of money and it would give you a lot of room. I would suggest OKW because the villas are large and everything is close to Disney Springs which for an adult trip would be great IMO,

Three value rooms will probably cost less than a 2 bedroom villa, even renting points, I think. A 2 bedroom villa will give the kitchen and washer/dryer, but only two bedrooms and two bathrooms, so you will have either sharing a room or someone sleeping in the living room, which provides less privacy. Just something to consider.

I would caution against thinking they are okay just because they say that now. We planed a trip of 5 adults (3 in on room and 2 in another) and everyone originally said they were fine sharing until we actually go there. Once we arrived the issues started in the room of 3 because they didn't like the other people's schedules. So think to yourself does everyone have the same sleeping habits? Does anyone snore? Is 4 adults sharing 1 bathroom going to be an issue etc? It isn't just where they lay their heads but also the space.

I'm going to echo this from the "been there, done that" file. 2-3 rooms at a value give you more beds and extra bathroom. I REALLY think 3 rooms is best--each person has their own bed. Also, everyone's "thermostat"--I am very cold natured. VERY. It's hard for me to sleep even with a bunch of covers in the same room with someone who has the a/c running all night.

Another factor is electronic devices---do some people leave their phones on all night??? Anyone have insomnia? Do they surf the net when they can't sleep?

I've made over 3 dozen trips with various adults and IMHO, you really need the 3 rooms for everyone to still *like* each other by the end of the vacation.

Also something to consider this trip is over a year a way will older DS's girlfriend still be his girlfriend by then? My fiance's family goes on trips together every year and until we got engaged I had to put up my portion of the trip. The sole reason was one year they went on a family trip and paid for his sisters boyfriends at the time and they all broke up right after they returned! The girls felt used and the family paid for a vacation with these guys. They had all been in year plus relationships with them and thought they might be the one. After that you had to pay to go on family vacations and that was if you got an invite at all. The only way I got to go on the last family vacation was my fiance had told his parents we were getting engaged 2 months later and had bought the ring already and before that we had been together 3 years and his sister invited me to her destination wedding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter