Need a list of "cons" please!

cavecricket

Disney Bride -to- Wife / DIsney Mom to be! July 4t
Ok...let me start by saying I am probably off my rocker for even considering this BUT when you are desperate for an "in-between" cheapo trip ... you gotta make some consessions! lol

We are booked for 4/2-4/9 at the Fort.

I was tossing around the idea of saving on a trailer rental (big time) and going with a tent (hahaha) I only laugh as we normally stay in a HUGE slide out and/or DVC points at The VWL sooo yeah a tent will be ... umm different

My biggest concern is that we are taking along my 9 month old (at time of travel)

I have camped in tents plenty in my life but NEVER with a baby lol

I also exclusively pump breastmilk for her so I will also need to have an ext cord in the tent.

Anyhoo....just wondering what you avid tenters think the cons would be for me....should I save big and pack the air matress OR go for broke and rent a pop up? lol

thanks in advance!

CANT WAIT

One con that I can think of right off the top is "security" not sure any tents offer a lock on the door...do they?

First thing that came to mind was "Con"gress. Oh, wait, did I just make this a political thread? :lmao::cool1::rotfl:

Sorry about that. Anyway, back on topic. An air mattress will be a lot more comfortable. When we were first starting out in a tent, the air mattress became a "must have". We also used a Pack 'n' Play for my youngest who was less than a year old.

just a suggestion have you looked at renting a pop up? i dont think they are that expensive to rent.

We actually planned to rent a pop up. and yes it is a very affordable option....just wondering if we could pull off a tent and save the extra $500 lol

You need a heat source the first week of April. A pop-up with a furnace would be much better. Do you really want to be in a tent in the middle of a thunderstorm with a nine month old baby? Good Luck whatever you decide to do.

"FOR ME" either is fine, I have done both many time, the only advice I have is go buy you a air mattress before your trip and sleep on it one night before your trip. Then you will know if you can or cant.

I for one can not sleep on those things, they hurt my back BAD. That would REALLY suck to get to the fort for 7 days with an air mattress only to find out it SUX! When I tent camp I take a cott

You need a heat source the first week of April. A pop-up with a furnace would be much better. Do you really want to be in a tent in the middle of a thunderstorm with a nine month old baby? Good Luck whatever you decide to do.

I agree,, very good point.
While I'm notta fan of rain, there's just something that makes me feel good about hearing the rain hit a hard top roof when I'm inside.

We used to tent camp when the kids were little (ages 1 to 4) and it is a LOT of work!! Of course, your baby wont to crawling, so that is a plus!!

I don't know if I would want to tent camp with a baby if I was used to RVing...

But, I am not (nor ever was) a very rugged outdoors-woman kind of gal!!;)

Is your husband on board with this plan? Is he an experienced tent camper? When stuff goes sideways, are you a laugher or a cryer?

Cathy

Do you really want to be in a tent in the middle of a thunderstorm with a nine month old baby? Good Luck whatever you decide to do.

been there done that, flooded tent, everything soaked............good lord with a baby that would have been disasterous!

Is buying a pop up an option for your family? You could probably buy an older used one for not much more than renting one and then you would have it for future trips.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991...0525726848?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item4cf4de5880

This one is much older than the one above but I would probably choose this one because it has a shower and more options. It requires a two person lift right now but a lift cable is easy to replace. This camper with a bucket of paint, and some sheets to cover up the 70's cushions would make a nice little camper and a good alternative to a tent.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979...0768687943?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item3a62fa8347

You could also check Craig's list. Anyway, just a thought- renting may be a better option for your family and not everyone likes fixer upper items!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

8 days in a tent, with a 9 month old. Nah. Lifes short, and you cant take it with you. Make this a vacation. You will have a fridge, stovetop, and a\c as well as table and your own bed with the popup. Otherwise you will be hauling all this stuff.

8 days in a tent, with a 9 month old. Nah. Lifes short, and you cant take it with you. Make this a vacation. You will have a fridge, stovetop, and a\c as well as table and your own bed with the popup. Otherwise you will be hauling all this stuff.

And yet another really good point, :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
and the best point I've heard yet.

ANd this is exactly why I brought this question to you all!!! Thanks for all te help! We are renting for sure haha!

But I will look into the popup resales too!

If considering buying a pop up I would consider the newer one over the old, remember, it has to be towed there. :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter