Need a good book series.... Greek Mythology?

paysensmom

DIS Veteran
My son finished the Percy Jackson series and is looking for something else. He said Harry Potter is boring. Any other great Greek Mythology series? I don't want to buy a bunch of books that he won't finish.

The guy who wrote the Percy Jackson has a new book out. I think it's the first in a new series.

Rick Riordan: The Heroes of Olympus, Book One: The Lost Hero

When she gets home, I'll ask DD11 if she knows of any other good mythology series. She loves that stuff!

PHXscuba

Rick Riordan actually has another series out that is surrounded by magic and egyptian gods. It is called the Kane Chronicles. Book one is called Red Pyramid. It is about a brother and sister (told from their point of view) who find out that their family is very special and only they can stand up to some of the gods of egypt who are trying to enslave mankind. This is his next in line series that he is writing. Another series I found that was pretty good was the inheritance cycle. The first book in that series was Eragon. That is about a boy who finds and egg to find out that it is one of the last dragons and he has to try to take the evil king down who also ruled the land by force with his dragon. I hope this helps.

Rick Riordan actually has another series out that is surrounded by magic and egyptian gods. It is called the Kane Chronicles. Book one is called Red Pyramid. It is about a brother and sister (told from their point of view) who find out that their family is very special and only they can stand up to some of the gods of egypt who are trying to enslave mankind. This is his next in line series that he is writing. Another series I found that was pretty good was the inheritance cycle. The first book in that series was Eragon. That is about a boy who finds and egg to find out that it is one of the last dragons and he has to try to take the evil king down who also ruled the land by force with his dragon. I hope this helps.

Ds12 and dd10 LOVED these, plus his other series.

DH and I ;) just read the Lost Hero book in the new Rick Riordan series and we loved it. We also loved the Percy Jackson books. Definitely think your DS would like this.

Rick Riordan actually has another series out that is surrounded by magic and egyptian gods. It is called the Kane Chronicles. Book one is called Red Pyramid.....

My DS and I both enjoyed The Red Pyramid *DS also loves the Percy Jackson books. He's already requested the next book in the Kane Chronicles ~
http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/kane-chronicles/books/book-2.aspx

DS's name is Carter and that just so happens to be the name of the boy in the Kane Chronicles :)

Why not visit your public library and borrow some books, so he can try a few and see what he likes without you having to buy them?

My son also loved the percy jackson series! He read the Kane Chronicles and loved it, and is waiting for the new book to come out so he can order it for his kindle. He also loved the Lost Hero of Olympus.

Right now he is reading the second book in the Ranger's Apprentice series (it takes place during Midieval times) and is super into it.

Good luck! I am always sad when they come to an end of a series...it can be hard to find a new one that fits! :goodvibes

It's not mythology but I am an elementary school librarian and the kids LOVE the 39 clues series and Skulduggery Pleasant series. You might want to check the first one of each series out of the library before investing in the whole series. Many public libraries have ebook download rentals.

Not greek mythology but enjoyed by son who loved the Percy Jackson books (and didn't care for Harry Potter either):

Children of the Lamp is a series of fantasy novels for senior children as well as adolescents and adults written by the British author P.B. Kerr. It tells the story of twin djinn, John and Philippa Gaunt, and their challenges with adapting to the world of djinn. The story has a variety of themes, family, adventure, and loyalty being a few. The first book, The Akhenaten Adventure, was published in 2004. The second book, The Blue Djinn of Babylon, was published in 2006. The third book, The Cobra King of Kathmandu, was also released in 2006. The fourth book was published in August 2007 [1], and is named The Day of the Djinn Warriors. The fifth book came out in 2009 and is titled The Eye of the Forest. The film rights are held by Dreamworks. Kerr recently finished the sixth book, The Five Fakirs of Faizabad, which was released on November 1, 2010.
(info from Wikipedia)

Thanks so much for posting this!! DS loved that series so much, he would come home & pick it up immediately and read up until & after dinner until bedtime. We'll have to check out some of these other titles.

Another great series is the Keys to the Kingdom series (nothing to do with Disney) by Garth Nix. First book is Mister Monday. They're about a young boy (13?) who is "selected" to become the Heir to the Architect, and has all kinds of supernatural and often very scary (in a juvenile book way, not a gory way) and sometimes funny adventures. I'm reading the last book, Lord Sunday, right now, and I and my DS15 have REALLY enjoyed the books.

I'll second the suggestion for the 39 Clues series. The first book was written by Rick Riordan (who wrote the Percy Jackson series).... and he also wrote the story arc... then other others wrote the other books.

I can't wait until the new series comes out!!!

Ginny

The "Peter and the Starcatchers" series is sort of a new take on the Peter Pan story. It's more YA than the Disney version and has a lot of "legend" type elements. The first book is Peter and the Starcatchers.

If he likes Disney, I vote for the Kingdom Keepers series. The 4th book comes out next week and I can't wait.

Not YA, but suitable for kids IMO is the Temerarie series by Naomi Novak. It's about dragons who are bred and trained to fight in the Napoleonic Wars. If he has any interest in Naval or military tactics or history, these are good. The first one is His Majesty's Dragon.

Inkheart series (Cornelia Funke, author)
The Maze Runner series (James Dashner, author)
Chaos Walking Series by Patrick Ness (first book is The Knife of Never Letting Go)

I enjoy YA fantasy books since they are a quick read. I really liked the The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter