need a diagnosis

elemusing

DIS Veteran
I have a head ache that won't go away - have taken two Aleve and a Flexiril (muscle relaxer that I got a prescription to TMJ last year) and I have a 100 degree fever and my eyes have a burning sensation.

The headache pain is making my a bit nausiated.

Anyone wanna play arm chair Dr? I have a Shiatsu pillow going on my neck and upper back right now and that seems to help a bit but when it stops the pain comes right back. . .

Please send me some pixie dust - I haven't had a head ache like this in a loooong time. . .

It is probably eye-strain related - but I wouldn't mess around with burning sensations in my eyes for too long before going to the ER.

I'm no doctor but I do have two degrees in music.

Hope you feel better.

Sounds like you have a double case of a bug (the fever) and a migrain.

I too am not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I hope you are feeling better.

I am no Doctor, but I am thinking of getting an IPhone.

The burning eyes and headache together sounds definitely like a migraine. I'd lay in a dark room with a cool compress across your eyes and forehead for several hours. If within 12 hours or so you feel no better, time to see a doctor (if not sooner).

Dammit, I'm a doctor not a... err, wait...

If you also have congestion or a mild sore throat, you are describing a sinus infection. I just got over one and my husband has been making complaints similar to yours. Hope you feel better soon!

Sending pixie dust for some relief and a speedy recovery. :wizard:

Headache, fever, neck pain could be meningitis. I would call the doc or go to the ER if it continues.

I'll tell you one thing - it's not eye strain. Fever & burning eyes proves that. If headache came with reading or computer use, maybe. This is different.

...and I am an eye MD.

Sounds like a migraine to me. Excedrin, cool compress, dark room, sleep. This always helps me. As for the burning eyes, maybe caused by the fever? And the fever may just be a coincidence happening at the same time as the headache. If you don't feel better soon, call your doc.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The headache was gone this morning but came back mildly this afternoon. I sat with the shiatsu pillow last night and I am SO SORE today from where it worked out the knots. I suspect it was a migraine although I don't know that I have ever had one.

I feel fine now. :) Thanks for the pixie dust everyone. :)

Some general observations (sorry this is so long):

1. There are, of course, many different causes of headache and the vast majority are benign.
2. A temperature of 100 is not truly a fever as normal body temperature varies by more than a degree beyond the average temperature of 98.6. If the temperature gets to about 100.5 - 101 in an adult, it would be considered a fever.
3. A classic migraine headache has some neurologic symptom which is then followed by the headache. There are many possible neurologic symptoms, but eye symptoms are very common, typically seeing light or dark spots or even transient difficulty seeing, but not a burning sensation in the eyes. The headache is typically on one side of the head. It is commonly associated with nausea and vomiting. Most migraines do not follow the classic pattern and present with the headache without neurologic symptoms. Migraines also tend to be recurring and it is the recurring pattern that is more diagnostic if it does not have the typical classic features. It is not typically associated with a stiff neck or a fever, unless there is another illness going on. A person who suffers from recurring migraines will frequently get a headache with a viral infection, for example. The treatment for migraines depends upon the frequency and severity, and the only comment that is worth mentioning is the use of Excedrin or any other source of caffeine. Since migraine headaches are vascular in nature, the caffeine does help relieve the headache, however, if the headache pattern is more frequent, leading to frequent use of caffeine, it frequently causes a caffeine withdrawal headache virtually identical to that perrson's typical migraine headache. The most common cause of daily headaches is caffeine withdrawal and no other medication will effectively stop the daily pattern until all caffeine is stopped. Certainly, if your headaches are infrequent, the use of caffeine is fine, but be aware and cautious if the frequency is increasing.
4. Muscle contraction headaches (also known as tension headaches) usually are in the neck and back of the head. They do not necessarily occur at times of stress and they also tends to be a recurring headache.
5. Sinus inflammation, such as by infection or allergy, frequently cause headache and can cause a burning sensation attributed to the eye, but actually from sinuses that are above, between and behind the eyes. The deeper sinuses do not necessarily have nasal congestion or drainage.
6. A viral infection can cause headache, nausea, vomiting, fever, and sinus inflammation, and is very common.
7. A fever associated with neck stiffness (not just a neck ache), nausea and vomiting can be a sign of developing meningitis, typically progressing to confusion and altered mental status. Of course, if you have failed to follow Pete's admonition against the lakes, an amoebic meningitis, although rare, is possible. Meningitis is mor common in children than adults. Symptoms suggestive of a possible meningitis infection should not be discounted for any great length of time.

Yes, I am a doctor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter