Need 4 rooms, only enough points for 3

twinsdad2007

Earning My Ears
First DVC reservation .

We are planning a 7 night WDW trip for summer 2015. I will have enough points for 3 rooms with 25 pts left over. What is the best way to book the 4th room? Should I save the 25 pts and rent from David's? I don't know what options I might have. If I rent from David's, can the rooms be linked with the other 3 so that all 4 might be close together?

You can definitely rent from David's for the fourth room, and you can then link them. How many points extra would you need? If you need 24 or under extra points, you can buy them directly from DVC for $15 a point (this can be done once a UY). Or you can try to find someone who can help you with a point transfer in the amount that you need. :)

First DVC reservation .

We are planning a 7 night WDW trip for summer 2015. I will have enough points for 3 rooms with 25 pts left over. What is the best way to book the 4th room? Should I save the 25 pts and rent from David's? I don't know what options I might have. If I rent from David's, can the rooms be linked with the other 3 so that all 4 might be close together?
I'm assuming you've maxed out banking & borrowing, if not, that would be your best option. I'm also assuming you made certain economic and reasonable choices on unit type and size such as no 3 BR and not all studios. If it's your home resort, I'd likely do a paid transfer for the same home resort and do it now for your UY that hits that time which could be your 2014 UY. If by chance you're looking at 4 studios, I'd go a step further and get enough for one 2 BR plus 2 studios. Renting directly from a member would be good also. You could also hope to get the 25% cash discount but this is hit or miss.

First DVC reservation .

This is your first DVC trip. Before you go through the process of getting a transfer or renting a reservation from another member, make sure your guests are locked in for the dates. You would be surprised how many family members think nothing of cancelling a few weeks or months before you go. Especially when they find out how much it will cost them to go on the trip with park admission, transportation to Disney and other costs. With this trip a year and a half out, everything could change with the other families.

Since this is a timeshare, they think the cost is nothing to you.

And be aware that studios never connect to other studios and they might not even be close. In some cases you might be on different floors or different buildings.

I'm assuming you've maxed out banking & borrowing, if not, that would be your best option. I'm also assuming you made certain economic and reasonable choices on unit type and size such as no 3 BR and not all studios. If it's your home resort, I'd likely do a paid transfer for the same home resort and do it now for your UY that hits that time which could be your 2014 UY. If by chance you're looking at 4 studios, I'd go a step further and get enough for one 2 BR plus 2 studios. Renting directly from a member would be good also. You could also hope to get the 25% cash discount but this is hit or miss.

Yes, I have 53 points from this year that I will bank and I will have 160 for next year and I'll borrow 160 from the following year.

We were planning on doing all studios, looks like to me that 2 studios is cheaper (point wise) than one 2BR.

If I get a paid transfer, do those points get added into my available points?How do I get a paid transfer? Do I solicit members on this board?

Yes, I have 53 points from this year that I will bank and I will have 160 for next year and I'll borrow 160 from the following year.

We were planning on doing all studios, looks like to me that 2 studios is cheaper (point wise) than one 2BR.

If I get a paid transfer, do those points get added into my available points?How do I get a paid transfer? Do I solicit members on this board?

We just did a paid transfer through the Timeshare Store. Subscribe to their emails, in there you will see what points they have for rent as well as what points they have for transfer. Usually you will have to take all points in one account for the transfer, so you may end up with more than you need unless you happen to find someone with exactly the amount of points you need. We just took 100 points through the Timeshare Store, it was an easy process. Just make sure that the UY works for you. If the points are for use next year, I might wait until later 2014/ 2015 and see what points are currently available. Also keep in mind that transferred points retain their UY, so if they are different from yours you have to juggle different points per se.

For example, I have a December UY for AKV. I needed extra points for a trip May 1014. I used my points for AKV, and transferred 100 April 2013 points into my account back in November. Those points would have expired March 31, 2014, so to use them for my May trip I had to bank them right away (their banking window ended November 30, 2013) and then use them to book my May trip. If I cancel the May trip (as long as I cancel 31 days or more out) I can still use those transferred points until March 31, 2015. They retain their original UY qualities. Also they were Beach Club points, so I can also use them to book Beach Club 11 months out.

Hope I didn't confuse you. You can also look for anyone who wants to transfer points on the rent/ trade board on here.

Friday and Saturday are always more points so you could always pay cash for one or both nights and free up some points that way. I have done this with family members traveling with us and they have paid for the cash night(s). Then everything can be linked after its all booked. They run cash discounts but not all the time. I usually call every day until they are offering the discount for the particular room you need.

Also be aware if you are planning on five low cost rooms - like BWV/BLT standard view rooms or VAKL value rooms - if you don't have home resort advantage, your chances of getting five studios are almost zero. (With VAKL your chances of getting five value rooms even if you call at eleven months are almost zero).

Cheaper but the 2 BR plus 2 studios will be a much better value for most people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter