Need 1 nice dinner suggestion for a quickly planned trip

TurkA77

Mouseketeer
Im making an unexpected trip to WDW with my girlfriend, best friend and his girlfriend. I would like to eat somewhere different than I have in the past. I honestly don't think Ive ever had a bad meal or experience in the half dozen or so trips Ive made.

Some of the places I have eaten are Jiko, loved the food and loved going to the AKL lounge to hang out and have cocktails too. I have also eaten at Boma, and really liked it, but Id rather not do a buffet dinner this trip. California Grill is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. The food is good, but the ambience of facing the MK and getting to watch the fireworks is awesome. Really like Bongos caused it was authentic Cuban food. Didn't Care much for Garden Grill.

Id like to not eat at EPCOT , or any park for that matter because we might be going there a night after Universal and we won't have any days left on our tickets. I prefer taking a trip to one of the nicer hotels. Gives me a chance to admire them and see something different. Sorry of this seems annoying and specific, but you guys and gals give such great advice I didn't think you'd mind. Thanks in advance.

ragalan road at downtown disney is very good. its irish food in a pub setting with a live band and irish step dancers

In the MK area: Narcoossee's at GF, Artist Point at WL, Perhaps Ohana at the Poly (might be a bit noisy).

I think you might like Artist Point best: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/artist-point/

Im starting to lean towards Narcoosees. I was thinking about making a 9pmish reservation and watching the fireworks before hand somewhere. I just don't know what kind of view Im going to get at the Grand Floridian or the Wilderness Lodge. If I can see the fireworks from the WL, Ill go with the Artists Point. Any suggestions?

You'll want to go to Narcoossee's if you want fireworks. Only portions of the WL property can see the fireworks, and you won't get the soundtrack.

The view from Narcoosse's is very good and the food is very good. The only downside is that you won't have the castle "centered" with the fireworks. Your server will have no problem with you stepping outside on the porch to watch the fireworks (with sound). If you wan't some pictures PM Robo or let me know and I can find them.

We had our anniversary dinner at Narccossee it was fabulous timed it with the fireworks at MK....they pipe in music... it was great as was the food

The Beach at the Polynesian Resort offers a great view
of Wishes and other MK Fireworks shows.
They do "pipe in" the audio of the shows.
There are several ground-level speakers along the
sidewalk.

They also pipe the audio to the speakers at the Poly
pool.

That said, in the past, the volume level is so LOW that its nearly
inaudible.
Limited reports are that the sound level has recently been improved.

Poly-TTC-Basic_101209.jpg

Here's a photo I took from the Poly Beach-
MK Fireworks (MVMCP Christmas Finale)

Poly-Beach-Firewx-Cln.jpg

-----------------------------

More Viewing Spots-

You can see them from TTC (they pipe-in the audio from
the show) but you are not allowed to stand in the
Ferry loading area.

You can see them from the boat-dock and an outside
observation deck near Narcoossee's restaurant at the
Grand Floridian. Anyone can stand on Narcoossee's Deck.
The outside deck is not a part of the actual restaurant. (All serving is done inside.)
The deck is accessed from the sidewalk outside the restaurant.
Also, good viewing from the Patio overlooking the Marina.
The sound of the show is piped into these areas too.

GF-FW-Narcoo-BE_072708.jpg

At the Contemporary, there is viewing on an outdoor
observation area on the 4th floor.
The California Grill observation areas are reserved for patrons that day of the Grill or Bar.

MK-CR-BE-Deck-S_090308.gif

MK-CR-Sat-Fwx-Deck-N_090308.gif

(Fireworks shown above are simulated.)

At Wilderness Lodge, the "secret place" to watch the MK fireworks is from the northern area of the Cast Member (CM) Parking Lot.

WL-N_CM-Lot_091809.gif

At the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds Marina (angle shown on the map below,) some of the view (especially of the "Fantasyland" pyro) is blocked by the now unused Discovery Island in Bay Lake and by the high-rise buildings of the Contemporary Resort.
But, the view from the Ft. Wilderness' sand beach (farther north) is more open.
Still the tree-level can block the views of the lower-firing pyro.

Here are the angles of the views in the Bay Lake area.

MK-Bay-Fwx_Views_093009.jpg

Here are the angles of the views in the Seven Seas Lagoon area.

MK-7Seas_Resorts_Fwx.jpg

----------------------------------

As for viewing from INSIDE the dining area of restaurants
(you usually need ADRs for most, and they are usually busy during the shows)...
you can see (and hear) them at California Grill at Contemporary,
'Ohana at Poly, Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian,
and (if you have access there) the Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower.

My husband and I ate at Narcoossee's and timed it with the fireworks and it ws amazing. We have it planned in May when we go again with no kids. I would definately pick there.

Wow, thank you so much, esp the maps. Definitely saving that for future trips. We are definitely going to watch them from GF property. We want to watch them and go eat after, its 4 adults so late dinner doesn't matter. Which do you prefer Narcoosees or Citricos, or something else close by we can get to when the fireworks end?

Are you on the dining plan? If not, and you want the best seafood dinner, go to bluezoo at the Dolphin. It's so much better than Narcoosees and very adult. They also have a great lounge with mixologists who make the most amazing martinis.

Out of the signatures on Disney's Dining Plan, Narcoosees has the worst food. Even the fireworks viewing don't make up for the casual family restaurant this has become. Our last 2 meals here have been so disappointing.

If you want to eat in the MK area, I'd recommend Citricos. You could eat earlier and walk down to the Narcoosees dock and watch the fireworks (or eat after if you want a late meal). The food, service and atmosphere at Citricos are nice and this is one of my favorites of the restaurants on the dining plan.

I hesitated to give Narcoossee's my top recommendation because on our only visit there a large group was celebrating a birthday, and it was a little loud. This could probably happen anywhere, but as Pakey mentioned, it is unfortunate that being "Disney," even the Signatures are subject to "tourists" :) Your late dinner will probably help with that.

We'll be at the Grand Floridian for dessert next week. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Well, this has all been for not. I was just talking with the other couple finalizing the schedule and we won't be going to the MK area that night for the fireworks. We have 1 one full day at MK so I guess we will see the fireworks from inside the park. It looks like instead of doing EPCOT for an afternoon and heading to MK that night, we are just going to stay at EPCOT all day. Which is fine,I love Illuminations. The best part is we are going back the day before we leave to "drink around the world" and do EMH. Im so pumped its the night before we leave, definitely one of my favorite things to do at Disney is have a few cocktails and then on Test Track, etc.

So if We are staying at EPCOT to watch Illuminations, what do we do? I generally just watch them and go home, lol. Should we get dinner reservations and watch them from a restaurant? Should we eat first? What restaurants have the best food? AHHHHH, its like starting over. Thanks again in advance for the help.

Well, this has all been for not. I was just talking with the other couple finalizing the schedule and we won't be going to the MK area that night for the fireworks. We have 1 one full day at MK so I guess we will see the fireworks from inside the park. It looks like instead of doing EPCOT for an afternoon and heading to MK that night, we are just going to stay at EPCOT all day. Which is fine,I love Illuminations. The best part is we are going back the day before we leave to "drink around the world" and do EMH. Im so pumped its the night before we leave, definitely one of my favorite things to do at Disney is have a few cocktails and then on Test Track, etc.

So if We are staying at EPCOT to watch Illuminations, what do we do? I generally just watch them and go home, lol. Should we get dinner reservations and watch them from a restaurant? Should we eat first? What restaurants have the best food? AHHHHH, its like starting over. Thanks again in advance for the help.

There are no restaurants at Epcot with a guaranteed view of Illuminations. You may get an outside table at Rose and Crown in UK but you can't request one. Also, La Hacienda in Mexico has limited tables with views. That's it.

As noted in my previous post, for adults only, I'm very partial to the upscale restaurants at the Swan/Dolphin that are not on any dining plan. Better food, better service, better atmosphere and they are a 10 minute walk from the International Gateway. After these 3, I like Bistro de Paris (upstairs France) and Flying Fish (on the Boardwalk). If you are looking for something more casual, we do enjoy Rose and Crown and the pub feel it has. We also like Biergarten and the 50 gallon beers but that's a buffet and you had mentioned you don't want a buffet. The only one I have tried is Nine Dragons at China. The only one I absolutely would not recommend is San Angel Inn in Mexico.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter