Nearly All Major Cruise Lines Dropping Mask Mandates (article)

dreynolds1982

Mouseketeer
https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzann...lines-dropping-mask-mandates/?sh=270d1b5f41a4
Looks like DCL is one of the last remaining holdouts, though the CDC is issuing new relaxed mask guidance today so I wonder if DCL is just waiting to announce until that is out so they can say they are "following the latest CDC guidance" or something along those lines. Also, Princess is the latest to say they are adding more flexibility to pre-cruise testing as well (they didn't release details yet but imagine that means the testing prior to the cruise rather than, or in addition to, the at the port testing).

**Note - This is NOT about whether this is a good decision or not for Disney or any other cruise lines, just posting since it's a big change to cruises and is more than likely coming to DCL soon too.**

Hoping to hear this news today too! It would make my week!
It seems like only a matter of time with most other cruise lines doing this + the new CDC guidance coming out today. Basically this new guidance will mean mask wearing indoors is no longer recommended for the majority of cities in the Country.

The big one I'm still holding out hope for for my March 28 cruise is the testing flexibility. Would LOVE the option to test 2 or 3 days prior to so I can know before we even leave town and don't have to sweat it out right up until the last moment.

Again (just so this thread doesn't get locked), don't want this to turn into personal opinions about what is "right" or "wrong" when it comes to DCL or other cruise line COVID policy and procedures.

Purely from an industry movement standpoint, it does appear that most cruise lines are a) loosening mask guidance (which is in line with latest CDC guidance) and b) adding flexibility to the testing requirements. The latter, most likely just a cost-saving measure as cruise lines have to pay the provider for the at-the-port testing. Remains to be seen what DCL will or won't do on either of these fronts though, but just looking at trends, it would not surprise me to see some changes made sooner rather than later.

Also, Princess is the latest to say they are adding more flexibility to pre-cruise testing as well (they didn't release details yet but imagine that means the testing prior to the cruise rather than, or in addition to, the at the port testing).
Princess has allowed for passengers to choose either pre-cruise testing or port testing for US sailings for months. I'm not sure for how long, but I was able to test at home for my Ruby Princess cruise in November, and that is still the case now. Princess had testing set up at the Port for a fee for those that chose not to arrange testing themselves.

True, as pre-cruise testing has to be paid for by guests.
Or their insurance companies. The costs of all of my pre-cruise tests (4 since June), including my at-home telehealth tests, have been reimbursed by my insurance company.

The discussion re: cost made me wonder how much DCL & other cruise lines have sunk into COVID related precautions and responses (testing, Safe Passage type systems and so on). I don't care how much DCL charges & whether or not they can afford it, just that it must be a significant cost & investment in order to get up and running again.

Also, Princess is the latest to say they are adding more flexibility to pre-cruise testing as well (they didn't release details yet but imagine that means the testing prior to the cruise rather than, or in addition to, the at the port testing).

Princess already allowed testing 2 days prior (at least they did for the cruise I did with them in November). So I will be interested to see what "more flexibility" is from that (maybe tests farther than 2 days out will be accepted?

Or their insurance companies. The costs of all of my pre-cruise tests (4 since June), including my at-home telehealth tests, have been reimbursed by my insurance company.

Either way, it will be a significant saving for the cruise line.

Masks are very low on my caring list for cruising at this point. I’d much rather see more pre-cruising testing options and opening activities back to normal. I feel like they are going to remove masks but keep all the other imo more negative requirements to your overall experience.

Passing the buck on to you, if I read it correctly. As long as you are happy to be possibly consigned to the brig for the rest of your cruise, drop your masks and skip your tests.

Last edited:
Masks are very low on my caring list for cruising at this point. I’d much rather see more pre-cruising testing options and opening activities back to normal. I feel like they are going to remove masks but keep all the other imo more negative requirements to your overall experience.
Yep, no problem with a mask if I could feel secure that I’ll actually make it onto the ship.

Princess has allowed for passengers to choose either pre-cruise testing or port testing for US sailings for months. I'm not sure for how long, but I was able to test at home for my Ruby Princess cruise in November, and that is still the case now. Princess had testing set up at the Port for a fee for those that chose not to arrange testing themselves.

I have sailed on Celebrity, which requires testing 2 days in advance, and was able to test at my medical office for free.

Oh how I wish they would drop the port testing. I want to book a summer cruise but when we sailed in January it was incredibly stressful worrying about whether or not we would make it on the ship, after all the travel just to get to Florida. I said I wouldn't go again until they drop that requirement. I don't care so much about the masks. Just stop making us test at the port!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter