NE Magic on Sept 12, 2012

Still trying to decide about tours or not or which ones. I am curious what everyone else is doing, especially those of you with children. We have boy girl twins who will turn 9 on 9/15.

Thanks. Can't wait it's getting very close!

NeverSayNever

We just got back from the 8/12 cruise with our two kids (7 and 10) we rented a car in Halifax and drove to Peggy's Cove. It was really easy to get to, I brought my GPS from home to help us navigate, and the kids really loved it. It was so beautiful. I think it would have been really nice even if it were rainy/cold or foggy. The drive is about an hour, or you can do a Cruiseline excursion that includes Peggy's Cove but I must say it is not to be missed. Best tip I got, stop at the visitors center on the way in to use the bathroom. If that sound like too much for you then a walk up to the citadel and shopping near the pier is nice too.

In Saint John we took a private taxi tour. That was pretty good, the highlight was the caves in Saint Martin which is about an hour and a half drive away. If there is an excursion that includes those, they were great. My husband and I are going on this 9/12 cruise and we plan on renting a car and going back to the caves but the drive seems a bit complicated. The Maple Sugar Shack tour looked really fun but I read a review that said for the money it wasn't that great. If you don't want to spend the money or the time on those outtings a walk along the water in Saint John to some of the nearby shopping would be fun and you could be back on the ship in a couple hours. The fog in Saint John/ Saint Martin was awful while we were there but the caves were still really enjoyable, the ride there could have been much prettier though if it wasn't so foggy.

Hey everyone! So do we have a final count on the fish extender? I know there were some late additions.

Thanks for the tips. I have been to both St John and Halifax before and I agree on your take on Peggy's Cove. It is a quaint little town and very picturesque. I am going to walk around St John. There really is nothing to do in St John. I took at tour before to the reversing falls and some cave (I can't remember if it was St Martin )where they serve you chowder and saltines. Total waste of time and money. They had us picking rocks as souvenirs. Geez.

we booked a hotel, laguardia airport hotel in elmhurst, for the night before the cruise, it was only $103, if anyone else is staying there or would like to maybe we could share a ride to the ship:)

You know Elmhurst has a huge ethnic community and is like a second Chinatown right?

We just got back from the 8/12 cruise with our two kids (7 and 10) we rented a car in Halifax and drove to Peggy's Cove. It was really easy to get to, I brought my GPS from home to help us navigate, and the kids really loved it. It was so beautiful. I think it would have been really nice even if it were rainy/cold or foggy. The drive is about an hour, or you can do a Cruiseline excursion that includes Peggy's Cove but I must say it is not to be missed. Best tip I got, stop at the visitors center on the way in to use the bathroom. If that sound like too much for you then a walk up to the citadel and shopping near the pier is nice too.

In Saint John we took a private taxi tour. That was pretty good, the highlight was the caves in Saint Martin which is about an hour and a half drive away. If there is an excursion that includes those, they were great. My husband and I are going on this 9/12 cruise and we plan on renting a car and going back to the caves but the drive seems a bit complicated. The Maple Sugar Shack tour looked really fun but I read a review that said for the money it wasn't that great. If you don't want to spend the money or the time on those outtings a walk along the water in Saint John to some of the nearby shopping would be fun and you could be back on the ship in a couple hours. The fog in Saint John/ Saint Martin was awful while we were there but the caves were still really enjoyable, the ride there could have been much prettier though if it wasn't so foggy.
Which car rental did you use? Is it close to port? How does that work with you being a USCitizen, or is it not an issue ( to the car rental company)

Which car rental did you use? Is it close to port? How does that work with you being a USCitizen, or is it not an issue ( to the car rental company)

In Halifax we used Alamo, it was a 5 minute walk from the ship. The fact that it was a different country was a non-issue although I did take their insurance (which I never usually do) because I didn't know if my insurance would cover me. This trip we are renting a car from Avis in Saint John and I will call my insurance compnay beforehand to see if i am okay to not buy the extra insurance.

In Halifax we used Alamo, it was a 5 minute walk from the ship. The fact that it was a different country was a non-issue although I did take their insurance (which I never usually do) because I didn't know if my insurance would cover me. This trip we are renting a car from Avis in Saint John and I will call my insurance compnay beforehand to see if i am okay to not buy the extra insurance.

Thanks! Something to think about!

Hi all, sorry to be out of touch lately, we were out of town for 4 days doing an MS Bike Ride - 130 miles in 2 days - and yesterday we spent the day being election judges. Now I am waiting in a customer lounge waiting for the oil to be changed in the car while Scott is harvesting grapes that I will have to deal with when I get home. I will attempt to update all lists and post them this evening.

does anyone have a recent menu from the magic cruise? if can you let me know, would like to see what their serving, thanks:cool1:

Not sure how accurate they are, but on DCL website go to Magic then dining rooms/ restaurants then there are menus for each.

thanks, went to DCL Magic and found the menus,

We did the cruise a couple weeks ago and I wanted to look at the menus to decide which night I will skip for Palo. The only place I found the right menu was on allears though a google search. Anyway I am cutting and pasting the Animator's menu, I will look to see if I can find any of the others...

Animator's Palate
Dinner Menu

Menu Date: May 2011

Specialty Cocktails

Artist's Impression - Absolut Vanla, Frangelico, Passion Fruit Puree, and Orange Juice.

Renaissance - Absolut Vodka, Triple Sec, Raspberry Puree, Lime Juice, and Sparkling Wine.

True Colors - Captain Morgan, Creme de Banana, and Orange Juice, topped with Strawberry Puree.

Appetizers

Ahi Tuna Tartare - with Caviar, Chives, and Wasabi Cream.

Wild Mushroom Risotto and Porcini Twist - served wit Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Sesame-flavored Rock Shrimp and Caramelized Onion Cheesecake - with Asian Barbecue Sauce and topped with Micro Greens.

Roma Tomato and Portobello Mushrooms on Polenta Cake - with Monterey Jack Cheese and Red Curry-Coconut Marinara.

Bread Selection

Garlic and Herb Focaccia Bread - Roasted Garlic Dip

Soups and Salads

Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup - with Bacon Bits and Chives.

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup - garnished with Chives and drizzled with Sour Cream.

Confetti Tomato Salad - Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Olive Oil, Jerez Vinegar, and Herb Dressing.

Smoked Salmon and Trout with Goat Cheese Salad - on Baby Greens, with Toasted Almonds and a Cranberry-Balsamic Vinegar Dressing.

The Feature Selection

Pennette Pasta - in Parmesan Cream, topped with Julienne of Turkey Breast and Prosciutto.

Animators Arugula Leaves and Grilled Vegetable Salad - topped with Sliced Beef Tenderloin, Marjoram, Bacon, and Ranch dressing.

Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon Fillet - with Sun-dried Tomato, Garlic Cream on Fava Beans, and Green Pea Ragout.

Stir-Fry Vegetables - on Fried Noodles, Hearts of Palm, and Oyster Glaze.

Lemon-Thyme Marinated Chicken Breast - on top of Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Root Vegetables, and Grain Mustard Jus.

Animator's Grilled Veal Chop - with Roasted Red Bliss Potatoes with Sweet Onions and a Morel Mushroom Sauce.

Black Bean Chipotle Cakes - over Corn Kernels and Brown Rice topped with Tomato-Cilantro Salsa.

Asian Marinated Beef Tenderloin - on Wasabi Mashed Potatoes with Bok Choy and a Tamarind-Barbecue Reduction.

Baked Salmon and Oven-roasted Chicken Breast available upon request.

Desserts

Animator's Sweet Temptations - A trio of Strawberry Sable, Cranberry and Orange Cheesecake, and Double-Fudge Chocolate Cake.

Strawberry Sable - with Passion Fruit Cream.

Cranberry and Orange Cheesecake - with a rich, Dark Chocolate Sauce.

Buckled Warm Apple Crumble - Cinnamon flavored Apple Filling topped with a crunchy crumble served with Vanilla Ice Cream.

Double-Fudge Chocolate Cake - served with Caramel Cream.

Ice Cream Sundae - Chocolate and Strawberry Ice Cream with Date and Walnut Cake.

No Sugar Added Desserts

Seasonal Fruits - with Sugar-free Cookies

Chilled Lemon Souffle - with Raspberry Sauce.

Assorted Sugar-free Ice Cream

After Dinner Liqueurs

DiSaronno Amaretto
Cointreau
Frangelico
Amarula Cream
Bailey's Irish Cream
Sambuca
Tia Maria
Grand Marnier
Godiva Chocolate
Pama Pomegranate

Specialty Coffees

Espresso
Latte
Mocha
Cappuccino

Cognacs & Eaux de Vie

Remy Martin V.S.O.P XO
Louis X111 Remy Martin
Armagnan
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. XO
Hennessy Paradise Extra
Grappa

Dessert Wines & Port Wines

Apple Icewine, Quebec, Canada
Bonny Doon Muscat, California, USA
Quinta do Noval 10 Year Tawny
Quinta do Noval 20 Year Tawny

Again from allears, and I can tell you these were the menus we had on the Canada cruise 2 weeks ago...

Parrot Cay Dinner Menu

Specialty Cocktails

Blue Margarita - Tequila, Blue Curacao, Lime Juice, and Sugar Syrup.

Melon Mojito - Bacardi Rum, Midori, Lime Juice, Sugar Syrup, Mint Leaves, and Soda Water.

Banana Caribe -Myer's Rum, fresh Banana, Pineapple Juice, and Coconut Cream.

Appetizers

St. Maarten Stack - Grilled Calabaza, Zucchini, and Mozzarella with Tomato and Basil Vinaigrette.

Jamaican-marinated Chicken Tenderloins - in a sizzling spicy Jerk Sauce with a chunky Blue Cheese Dressing.

Baked Crab Dip Martinique - Jumbo Lump Crab baked in a creamy Cheese Sauce served with colorful Tortilla and Plantain Chips.

Island-spiced Seared Ahi Tuna - Marinated in a Yuzu, Soy, and Ginger Dressing served with fragrant Mushrooms and Fire-roasted Cuban Bread.

Bread Selection

Warm Banana Bread - with a Banana Dip.

Soups and Salads

Cold Cream of Mango and Papaya - flavored with passion fruit.

Cream of Green Asparagus- with Crabmeat and Asparagus Tips.

Parrot Cay Salad - Fresh tender Spinach tossed with sliced Red Onions, Mushrooms, and a warm Bacon Dressing topped with crisp Bacon and a chopped Egg.

West Indies Romaine Salad - Fresh crisp Romaine tossed with a creamy Romano Dressing topped with West Indies Spice-dusted Croutons.

Main Course

Island-spiced Grilled Rib-Eye of Beef - topped with handmade spiced Butter, Corn on the Cob, and Double-baked Potato.

Pan-Seared Grouper - with Baby shrimp in Lemon Butter served with a Saffron-Herb Basmati Rice and Snow Peas.

Shrimp and Avocado Salad - on fresh Field Greens, Water Chestnuts, Snow Peans, Corn Kernels, and Shredded Carrots with a Lemon-Mint Vinaigrette.

Mixed Grill - Grilled Beef Tenderloin Steak, Lamb Chop, Bacon-wrapped Sausage and Jumbo Shrimp on Mashed Potatoes, Asparagus, and Grilled Tomato with a Cabernet Mushroom Sauce.

Pearl-Barley Cakes with Shallots, Leeks, and Rosemary - over Sauteed Julienne of Carrots, Root Celery, and Leeks with a light Saffron Sauce.

Caribbean Roasted Chicken - Half a Chicken served with Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Corn Kernels, and Marinated Shallots with a Spice Glaze.

Braised Jerk-Seasoned Pork Chop - Slow-braised Pork Chop served with a warm Curried Peach Relish and Cornmeal Cakes.

Glazed Portobello Mushrooms - with Brown Lentil and Parsley Sauce and Sun-dried Tomato Cream Drizzle.

Desserts

Parrot Cay's Sweet Temptations- A trio of Creme Brulee Cheesecake, Lemon Meringue Pie, and Chocolate S'More Vanilla Cake.

Creme Brulee Cheesecake

French Toast Banana Bread Pudding - with Coconut Ice Cream and Caramel Sauce

Lemon Meringue Pie - on Kumquat Sauce

Chocolate S'More Vanilla Cake - Crackling Marshmallow Crust on Vanilla Cake filled with Chocolate, served with Dulce De Leche Sauce.

Ice Cream Sundae - Double Fudge Bar and Cookies, topped with Whipped Cream and Chocolate Sauce.

No Sugar Added Desserts

Pina Colada Bread Pudding

Cheesecake - with Strawberries and Mint.

After Dinner Liqueurs

DiSaronno Amaretto
Cointreau
Frangelico
Amarula Cream
Bailey's Irish Cream
Sambuca
Tia Maria
Grand Marnier
Godiva Chocolate
Pama Pomegranate

Specialty Coffees

Espresso
Latte
Mocha
Cappuccino

Cognacs & Eaux de Vie

Remy Martin V.S.O.P XO
Louis X111 Remy Martin
Armagnan
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. XO
Hennessy Paradise Extra
Grappa

Dessert Wines & Port Wines

Sorry I did not get back here last night - got busy processing grapes (only half done after 6 hours). The FE list has not changed, and I do not expect it to change at this point except for changes in stateroom status. Here is the list:

FE Exchange list:

Deck 1
1036/1038/1040 - JKeller - Jill & Bill & Katie, 2 adults, 1 child
(this is a large group, only Jill, DH, and DD are participating, only 1 room out of 3 will have FE hanging)
1044 - PixieintheCity - Carol, Rafael, Ralphie & Olivia, 2 adults, DS/11, DD/5 - Late Addition

Deck 2
2008 - Bethleham - Beth, Keith, Allen, 2 adults, DS/4 - PEANUT ALLERGY
2578 - first timers - Alex & Carolyn, 2 adults

Deck 5
5140 - Canuck11 - Jason & Ayesha, 2 adults

Deck 6
6094 - Prinny27 - Heather & Jared, 2 adults
6540 - Donald&DaisyDuck - Lee Ann & Donald, 2 adults
6562 - rhunit1 - Paul, DM/Susan, Steven, Sean, 2 adults, DS/10, DS/6
6588 - snickerdodo - Wayne & Lynn, 2 adults
6658 - DonnettaR - Donnetta, Uncle Steve, Aunt Patricia, 3 adults

Deck 7
7020 - Epcotrulz, 2 adults
7024 - HopeSparkles - Christa - 20 yr Survivor, DM/Cathie, 2 adults
7086 - mm4mm - Mike & Melisa, 2 adults
7138 - plyeng2ff/BringEeyore2DCL- Arthur & Danielle, 2 adults
7628 - Scott H/Lynn G - Scott & Lynn - 2 adults

Deck 8
8018 - TChrist05 - Tom & Marilou, 2 adults
8052 - luvmygrljb - Sue, Matt, Jillian, 2 adults, DD/8
8060 - Neriberi - Angela, Rob, Annabel, Tom, 3 adults, DD/5
8556 - Babbletrish - 3 adults
8584 - kendzee94 - Barb & Bill - 2 adults

GTY STATUS
CherylA/TonyB - Cheryl & Tony, 2 adults
kelmarie66 - Kelly & Barry, 2 adults
NeverSayNever - DH, Alexis, Gabrielle, Edward, DD/9, DS/9
Nikki S - Dewayne, Nikki, Riley,DD/6, Peyton,DD/4,
PirateMinnie - DW, DH, DD/5
Pooh#1 - Katie, DM/Anne
(kelmarie66 friends) - Pat/DH & Mary/DW - Late Addition
mommiev - Mom, DD/4 & DD/1 - Late Addition

I will update the Roaming Gnome list later, that may change up to the day we board.

Pirate Night
Dinner Menu

Menu Date: February 2011

Appetizers

Black Beard's Jumbo Crab Cake - with golden raisin-carrot and coconut slaw served with a spicy Calypso dressing

Pirates Golden "Pot Stickers" - oriental pork "dumplings" deep fried and served with a tamarind-ginger soy sauce and pickled vegetables

The Buccaneer's Sun-Ripened Pineapple - fresh island pineapple with a coconut covered banana and orange glaze

Pearls of the Caribbean - crabmeat, shrimp and salmon mixed in pearls of couscous with lemon grass infused vinaigrette

Soups and Salads

Chilled-to-the-bone Honeydew Melon and Watermelon Soup

Caribbean-style Conch Chowder - with sherry, sweet peppers, onions, tomatoes, thyme, and garnished with diced potatoes and crispy bacon bits

Jerk Chicken Salad - jerk-seasoned chicken strips over fresh crispy greens with a citrus dressing and plantain chips

Mr. Smee's Bibb Lettuce Salad - with bibb lettuce, baby greens, chicory, tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and raspberry vinaigrette

Bread Service

Johnny Cake with a pigeon pea relish

Main Course

Castaway Chicken Breast - rubbed with Pirate Island Spice, rice and beans, and fried okra on rich spiced glaze

Jolly Rogers Barbecue Rib Salad - Shredded cabbage, carrots, and corn mixed with Romaine lettuce and fresh parsley with a spicy baked bean dressing

Treasures of the Seas Grilled Shrimp and Seared Scallops - served on strings of pasta and fresh creamy tomato sauce

Jack Sparrow's Barbecue Marinated Beef Short Ribs - Rubbed beef short rips with tamarind-barbecue sauce and served with onion red bliss mashed potatoes and plantain chip

Sunken Vegetable Treasure - Black-eyed pea and quinoa croquettes with a mushroom sauce

Captain Hook's Macadamia Nut-dusted Mahi Mahi - Jasmine rice and sautéed pineapple on a mild curry sauce

The Dutchmen's Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef - thick cut of beef with oven-roasted sweet potatoes and a black spot tomato with deep red wine glaze

Tiger Lilie's Savory Pancakes - stuffed with tofu, spinach, and lashed to the deck on a pool of pepper coulis

Baked Salmon and Oven-roasted Chicken Breast available upon request

Desserts

Sweet Temptations - a trio of fruit cobbler, floating island and chocolate cake

Fruit Cobbler - with vanilla ice cream

Floating Island - crisp meringue, vanilla anglaise and marinated fruits

Rum Soaked Chocolate Cake - with raspberry glaze and whipped cream

Crunch Time Sundae - Rum Raisin Ice Cream, Pineapple, Whipped Cream and Croquant

No Sugar Added

Banana-Chocolate Crepe - with mango coulis and coconut

Angel Food Cake - with strawberries and whipped cream

The last night is kind of fuzzy for me. I don't even remember what I ordered as an entree. I do know that I ordered an appetizer and a dessert that are on this menu so I hope it is the right one...

Till We Meet Again Dinner Menu

Specialty Cocktails

Eclipse - Cuervo Tequila, Triple Sec, Lime Juice, Sugar Syrup, and Orange Juice.

Motion - Malibu Rum, Mango Juice, Sparkling Wine, topped with Chambord

Kissss - Bacardi Razz, Myer's Rum, Pineapple Juice, and Strawberry Puree.

Appetizers

Artichoke, Spinach, and Jalepeno Cheese Dip - with triangles of crispy Pita Bread.

Sesame-Crusted Tuna Sashimi, Wakame Salad, and American Caviar - with Pickled Ginger Wasabi and Soy Sauce.

Chilled Seafood Medley - Lemon Shrimp, Smoked Salmon Tartare, and Marinated Bay Scallops.

Grilled Chicken Sate - with Mint-Yogurt Sauce and spicy Cucumber Salad

Bread Selection

Warm French Country Bread - with Olive spread.

Soups and Salads

Crawfish and Lobster Bisque - served with Roasted Corn-Chili Relish.

Potato Leek Soup - garnished with Sour Cream, Chives, and Caviar.

Romaine Leaves with Artichoke Chips - a Roasted Bacon-wrapped Date and Caesar Dressing.

Florida Citrus and Baby Spinach - with Blue Cheese-Ranch Dressing.

Main Course

Roasted Half Cornish Hen - with Israeli Couscous, Mediterranean Vegetables, and a Lemon-Herb Sauce.

Seafood Linguini Pasta Lobster, Scallops, Shrimp, Clams, and Asparagus with a White Wine Sauce.

Portobello Moussaka - Portobello Mushrooms, Eggplant, and Potatoes served with Feta Cheese.

Yachtsman Steakhouse Center Cut Grilled Beef Tenderloin - served with William Potatoes, Asparagus Spears, Baby Vegetables, and Bernaise Sauce.

Vegetable Streudel - Lentils, Carrots, Leeks, and Parsnips wrapped in Phyllo Dough served oon Duo of Red and Yellow Pepper Coulis.

Oven-baked Orange Roughy - filled with Crabmeat, served on a Spaghetti of Leek and Carrot with a Dill-Saffron Sauce.

Garlic and Rosemary-Marinated Lamb Sirloin - with Onion, Leek, Potato Gratin, and Sun-dried Tomato Jus.

Till We Meet Again Chicken Salad - with Oven-roasted Corn, Romaine Leaves, Tomatoes, Green Onions, and Blackened Chicken Breast with a zesty Dressing.

Desserts

Till We Meet Again Sweet Temptations - A trio of Celebration Cake, Chocolate Decadence, and Cappuccino Mousse.

Chocolate Decadence - For the real Chocolate lover! This Chocolate dessert lets you experience Chocolate in all its glory.

Celebration Cake - Layers of Cheesecake covered with Strawberries embedded in rich Vanilla Cream and glazed with White Chocolate.

Deep-Dish Apple-Cranberry Pie - served warm with Vanilla Ice Cream.

Baked Alaska - Sponge Loaf layered with Chocolate, Vanilla, and Strawberry Ice Cream covered with Burnt Meringue.

No Sugar Added Desserts

Seasonal Fruits with Sugar-free Cookies

Cappuccino Mousse

After Dinner Liqueurs

DiSaronno Amaretto
Cointreau
Frangelico
Amarula Cream
Bailey's Irish Cream
Sambuca
Tia Maria
Grand Marnier
Godiva Chocolate
Pama Pomegranate

Specialty Coffees

Espresso
Latte
Mocha
Cappuccino

Cognacs & Eauxde Vie

Remy Martin V.S.O.P XO
Louis X111 Remy Martin
Armagnan
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. XO
Hennessy Paradise Extra
Grappa

Dessert Wines& Port Wines

Thank you all! We are so excited and just can't wait. Theanticipation and planning is exhilarating. Looking forward to meeting other Dis'ers. And just have a great time!

The kids are getting excited too and hoping to meet new friends.

See ya all real soon!

NeverSayNever

I have just learned thru FB that we have another late addition to the FE list, DH, DW, DD/14, DD/12. I am on the road and do not have access to my lists until after the weekend, just wanted to let you all know about the addition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter