NC welfare recipients can buy booze and tobacco products with taxpayer money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it does. The point is if they spend it that way, they didn't really "need" it. Therefore, the money could go back to the taxpayers.

That said, I'm not sure this type of thing rates very high on the govt waste & fraud list :scratchin

Sorry, wrong. If the government decides that you make less than the poverty level that they have determined, you are entitled to get help. That's it.

There are plenty of people who are committing welfare fraud. I don't want to work to help out people who could make it on their own but choose not to and yes, those people do exist. People who are trying but need an extra helping hand I'm all for.

Why? You have to work anyway, why worry about what others are doing? There is going to be fraud and corruption in every society, all the time. So some people scam the system. Welcome to life.

I guess I just don't see the problem. If it's been decided that they are entitled to the money, who cares what they spend it on?

The point OP is trying to make is that if they can afford to spend it in this manner, they actually are not entitled to it.

Think of it another way - that $200 they blow on booze and cigs is $200 some other needy family will not receive.

The point OP is trying to make is that if they can afford to spend it in this manner, they actually are not entitled to it.

Think of it another way - that $200 they blow on booze and cigs is $200 some other needy family will not receive.

Actually, if you make less than a certain amount, you are entitled to it.

Why? You have to work anyway, why worry about what others are doing? There is going to be fraud and corruption in every society, all the time. So some people scam the system. Welcome to life.

It is not about the money as much as the principle or taking what others have earned. I work hard and earn what I have. I want everyone to work to earn what they have. If you work hard and need a helping hand I'm glad to help out a bit. If you are lazy or scamming the system I would rather the money go to something useful towards society and those people are definitely not useful towards society.

It doesn't rate very highly on my list of things I don't like but it is on there. It surely isn't in the top 100 things I'd change about how our tax dollars are spent but it is what we are discussing and most of the things on that list would be off limits here anyway.

Actually, if you make less than a certain amount, you are entitled to it.

I really disagree with this. They might be eligible for the program but no one is entitled to money that they don't earn.

I thought most states moved to a debit card system that only allows certain items. Seems that would be a good way to make sure the funds are used as intended.

I really disagree with this. They might be eligible for the program but no one is entitled to money that they don't earn.

I thought most states moved to a debit card system that only allows certain items. Seems that would be a good way to make sure the funds are used as intended.

Again, though, it's not your business. It's the state's.

Sorry, wrong. If the government decides that you make less than the poverty level that they have determined, you are entitled to get help. That's it.

So, because the govt decided it, it must be okay? :confused3

The govt doesn't generate money or own money. They take it from us, the taxpayers. As taxpayers, it's our right to complain about how it is being spent because technically, it is "our" money.

And the fact of the matter is, if nobody ever complained about the waste and fraud (much of it WAY worse than welfare fraud) that occurs with gov't spending, the fraud and waste would be far worse.

Admittedly, this is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. And the "fix" may very well be more expensive than the problem. But still, we should flip those stones over every now and then to see what's beneath them. Nothing wrong with that.

It is not about the money as much as the principle or taking what others have earned. I work hard and earn what I have. I want everyone to work to earn what they have. If you work hard and need a helping hand I'm glad to help out a bit. If you are lazy or scamming the system I would rather the money go to something useful towards society and those people are definitely not useful towards society.

It doesn't rate very highly on my list of things I don't like but it is on there. It surely isn't in the top 100 things I'd change about how our tax dollars are spent but it is what we are discussing and most of the things on that list would be off limits here anyway.

:thumbsup2 As a society, I think we need to help those around us who truly are in need. Think of all the resources we'd have available for those who really need it if there weren't people using the system on a technicality.

Again, though, it's not your business. It's the state's.

The State doesn't generate revenue/income. They tax people and then use that money for different programs.

So as tax payers we should be concerned that the government is doing good things with our money.

I think many of us here are OK with helping those in need. But not just handing our money for people to use on their brand of vices.

The state has a "boss". The "boss" is the taxpayer. Those people in the Capitol are OUR employees.

This point is so often forgotten and not just in the context of this subject. We are bosses. It is our money the government takes and spends. We should be the ones who have a say in it.

I wish I had a say on wasted money on wars and payroll for non working federal workers. There are LOTS of ways our money is spent that cause OUTRAGE depending on who you are....:scratchin

I wish I had a say on wasted money on wars and payroll for non working federal workers. There are LOTS of ways our money is spent that cause OUTRAGE depending on who you are....:scratchin

But, you DO have a say. ;). And we should never stop griping about fraud and waste regardless of where it is.

Because as I said before, it's not just about the waste of "our" money that we'd love to have back. It's also about the people who are NOT being helped who really need it. People with unreported income who illegally collect govt assistance aren't just stealing from the taxpayers. They are also stealing from the rightful recipients of these programs.

:thumbsup2 And what about corporate welfare, which no one seems to bat an eye over. How does the government know those companies which received tax breaks and taxpayer funds aren't spending some of that money on booze and cigars at corporate lunches? And then writing those lunches off? Should we track that?

:thumbsup2 And what about corporate welfare, which no one seems to bat an eye over. How does the government know those companies which received tax breaks and taxpayer funds aren't spending some of that money on booze and cigars at corporate lunches? And then writing those lunches off? Should we track that?

Yes, and I don't see anyone suggesting we shouldn't ;)

So who gets to decide what people are allowed to spend money on? As the article pointed out, you can't track what someone is using welfare money for. As mentioned, no one is surviving on $200/month/child. So they're getting money from elsewhere also. I'm pretty confident it all goes into one "pot" of money. So how do you know the money used to buy alcohol or tobacco came out of the welfare check vs. other funds?

I understand the outrage. I just don't think you can limit what people buy as long as they have access to "outside government" funds.

So who gets to decide what people are allowed to spend money on? As the article pointed out, you can't track what someone is using welfare money for. As mentioned, no one is surviving on $200/month/child. So they're getting money from elsewhere also. I'm pretty confident it all goes into one "pot" of money. So how do you know the money used to buy alcohol or tobacco came out of the welfare check vs. other funds?

I understand the outrage. I just don't think you can limit what people buy as long as they have access to "outside government" funds.

I think that's why some suggest doing away with direct cash assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter