NC residents: where to stay in Asheville?

RitaZ.

Move on don't hesitate, break out.
We want to visit Biltmore Estate and have set aside two days to do this. I've checked out a few hotels, but haven't decided where to stay; Biltmore Inn (adjacent to property), Hilton Asheville Biltmore Park (downtown area) and Doubletree-Biltmore (within walking distance of the estate). Staying at the Biltmore Inn would be cool, but then thought our teens might enjoy the downtown area more and we would have easier access to restaurants, shopping, etc.

What do you guys recommend? TIA

I could be wrong but i don't think anything is within "walking distance" of the actual Biltmore House. It would be quite a haul to trek from the entrance to the front door. Just be warned. It is like a hotel claiming to be a one block from the entrance to Disney World.

I think your teens and you will like the downtown area. Tons of cool restaurants and shopping.

The Doubletree is within walking distance to the entrance of Biltmore. The driveway to Biltmore is three miles beyond the entrance.

There is nothing within walking distance of the estate.

I could be wrong but i don't think anything is within "walking distance" of the actual Biltmore House. It would be quite a haul to trek from the entrance to the front door. Just be warned. It is like a hotel claiming to be a one block from the entrance to Disney World.

Yes. More like a short shuttle ride. The estate is massive, and you'll be doing enough walking without having to walk to the house from your hotel.

We stayed at Brookstone Lodge which was a short drive away from both the downtown area and Biltmore Estate. It was very affordable and quite nice. It was also very easy to just drive into downtown for dinner. Of course, you pay to park, but it was only like $10/day. Very affordable.

Yeah, that's what the Doubletree's website states- within walking distance of the entrance. lol That's one reason I posted my question; nothing beats getting firsthand information from the locals and those familiar with the area. :thumbsup2

I think the Hilton is the top contender. We're really looking forward to our trip to NC. :yay: Thanks everyone!

Yeah, that's what the Doubletree's website states- within walking distance of the entrance. lol That's one reason I posted my question; nothing beats getting firsthand information from the locals and those familiar with the area. :thumbsup2

I think the Hilton is the top contender. We're really looking forward to our trip to NC. :yay: Thanks everyone!

Yeah, just wait until you're standing in the parking lot saying, "Where is the darn house?"

Yeah, just wait until you're standing in the parking lot saying, "Where is the darn house?"

lol I bet! This visit to the Biltmore Estate is a last minute addition to the trip. We haven't had much time to plan anything, so we're going with a laid back attitude. I'm sure it will be great.:thumbsup2

lol I bet! This visit to the Biltmore Estate is a last minute addition to the trip. We haven't had much time to plan anything, so we're going with a laid back attitude. I'm sure it will be great.:thumbsup2

You will love it. Even my husband was impressed, and he's not impressed by much of anything. We had lunch in the Stable Cafe, and it was fantastic. A restaurant not to be missed in the downtown area is the Tupelo Honey Cafe.

I live here in Asheville. There is so much to do here and lots of great places to stay, eat and shop.

You can't go wrong with any of the hotels you mentioned. The Hilton downtown is great for being right in town. The Brookstone Lodge is lovely, affordable and as a previous poster mentioned close to everything. The Doubletree right outside the Biltmore Estate is also a great choice, and also not that far from downtown.

As for the Estate itself....it is an amazing place. The house takes about an hour to tour, and I highly recommend getting the audio tour for extra information about what you are seeing. The gardens are amazing, and be sure to check out the greenhouses, especially the orchid room.

Antler Hill Village is a new addition to the Estate and is where the winery is located. That is also a great little self guided tour and for the adults in the party...the wine tasting is awesome. There is also a great exhibit of items pulled out of the house focusing on the Vanderbilt family. My favorite restaurant on property is Cedric's Tavern also located at Antler Hill Village.

If you are planning a trip to Biltmore, purchase your tickets online....it is cheaper than buying them at the gate.

Downtown Asheville is great to walk, dine, and window shop. As a previous poster mentioned, Tupelo Honey Cafe is awesome. There is also a second larger location in South Asheville, just down the road from the Biltmore Estate. I also LOVE Doc Chey's Noodle House which features asian cuisine. Be sure to check out Mast General Store....a great old fashioned general store with lots of really great merchandise. Downtown is filled with wildly eclectic shops and is a very safe town to just walk in.

You are going to love this wonderful little city. If you need any more advice, suggestions, etc. please do not hesitate to ask.

Linda

Hello!! We aren't from NC but we did a Smoky MTn/Asheville trip last year. We stayed two nights in the Haywood Park Hotel... Its within walking distance to the great downtown stuff. The BEST breakfast place is right across the street; the Early Girl Eatery...I've never had a better breakfast. Seriously easy to walk to restaurants, shops and on Friday evenings they have a drum circle that the whole town seems to join in. I think staying near the Biltmore would be too boring for kids or teens.

You will love it. Even my husband was impressed, and he's not impressed by much of anything. We had lunch in the Stable Cafe, and it was fantastic. A restaurant not to be missed in the downtown area is the Tupelo Honey Cafe.

I'll make note of that. :thumbsup2

I live here in Asheville. There is so much to do here and lots of great places to stay, eat and shop.

You can't go wrong with any of the hotels you mentioned. The Hilton downtown is great for being right in town. The Brookstone Lodge is lovely, affordable and as a previous poster mentioned close to everything. The Doubletree right outside the Biltmore Estate is also a great choice, and also not that far from downtown.

As for the Estate itself....it is an amazing place. The house takes about an hour to tour, and I highly recommend getting the audio tour for extra information about what you are seeing. The gardens are amazing, and be sure to check out the greenhouses, especially the orchid room.

Antler Hill Village is a new addition to the Estate and is where the winery is located. That is also a great little self guided tour and for the adults in the party...the wine tasting is awesome. There is also a great exhibit of items pulled out of the house focusing on the Vanderbilt family. My favorite restaurant on property is Cedric's Tavern also located at Antler Hill Village.

If you are planning a trip to Biltmore, purchase your tickets online....it is cheaper than buying them at the gate.

Downtown Asheville is great to walk, dine, and window shop. As a previous poster mentioned, Tupelo Honey Cafe is awesome. There is also a second larger location in South Asheville, just down the road from the Biltmore Estate. I also LOVE Doc Chey's Noodle House which features asian cuisine. Be sure to check out Mast General Store....a great old fashioned general store with lots of really great merchandise. Downtown is filled with wildly eclectic shops and is a very safe town to just walk in.

You are going to love this wonderful little city. If you need any more advice, suggestions, etc. please do not hesitate to ask.

Linda

Linda, thanks for all the info! I like to grow orchids and love seeing new varieties.:yay: I've purchased a new camera, so I'll be taking lots of pics. I'm glad to hear that downtown Asheville is a safe area to walk in. I was concerned about that because my experience with most downtown areas hasn't been positive. :bitelip: We're all looking forward to this trip. :goodvibes

Just an FYI...the Hilton at Biltmore Park is not in downtown Asheville. It's actually in a planned community in south Asheville. There is alot of nice dining and shopping within the area and it's just a short drive to the Biltmore Village and Estate area. There is also a Tupelo Honey Cafe in south Asheville on your way to the Estate.

Of the ones you mentioned, The Hilton would be my top choice. Double Tree is nothing special at all and I honestly don't feel as if being within walking distance of the entrance is anything to brag about. The Inn is very nice but somewhat secluded since it's on property.

Just an FYI...the Hilton at Biltmore Park is not in downtown Asheville. It's actually in a planned community in south Asheville. There is alot of nice dining and shopping within the area and it's just a short drive to the Biltmore Village and Estate area. There is also a Tupelo Honey Cafe in south Asheville on your way to the Estate.

Of the ones you mentioned, The Hilton would be my top choice. Double Tree is nothing special at all and I honestly don't feel as if being within walking distance of the entrance is anything to brag about. The Inn is very nice but somewhat secluded since it's on property.

You're right. I mapped it and it's about 10+ mins. from downtown Asheville, which still works for us. I also checked the Grove Park Inn, but there were no rooms available for our dates. I'm just going to make the reservation at the Hilton and also order tickets.

Thanks!

BTW, is it difficult to find parking in the downtown area?

The Grove Park is beautiful but pricey. We stayed there for a convention a few years ago (in the old part of the resort...we had to take the old timey elevator up through the chimney) and I remember being gobsmacked at the price listed for the room on the back of the door (it was north of $400 a night rack rate). Also, you have to purchase a day pass to the spa to use the VERY TINY pool...even if you are a guest of the hotel. That said, the spa is amazing!

We just visited Asheville/Biltmore/Downtown a couple of weekends ago.

House tour took us 1.5 hours with the audio tour, which was free with admission right now.

We had the BEST meal at Early Girl Eatery, which someone else mentioned above too. I wrote a review of the restaurant (and our day) on my blog: http://seeaimeecook.blogspot.com/2013/02/day-trip-to-asheville-nc.html

Downtown has some shops, galleries, restaurants to wander around. Right outside the Biltmore is another little area with shopping and restaurants (and a handful of hotels) but it's a bit more high end-chain while the downtown were a bit more homegrown.

Parking downtown was easy for us to find - at a meter - but we went on a rainy cold Friday. There are also garages available.

{if I had the money, I'd stay at The Grand Bohemian Hotel, which is right outside the Biltmore Estate in that area I mentioned above - the restaurant there is probably one of my top 5 meals EVER. The steak was that good.}

I stayed at the Hilton Biltmore Park last fall and it is a very nice hotel and is in a quiet area.

If you like BBQ, I highly recommend 12 Bones Smokehouse. I think they are only open for lunch, and you have to wait in a line that goes out the door, but dh and I are still talking about the meal we had there. It was awesome!!

We just visited Asheville/Biltmore/Downtown a couple of weekends ago.

House tour took us 1.5 hours with the audio tour, which was free with admission right now.

We had the BEST meal at Early Girl Eatery, which someone else mentioned above too. I wrote a review of the restaurant (and our day) on my blog: http://seeaimeecook.blogspot.com/2013/02/day-trip-to-asheville-nc.html

Downtown has some shops, galleries, restaurants to wander around. Right outside the Biltmore is another little area with shopping and restaurants (and a handful of hotels) but it's a bit more high end-chain while the downtown were a bit more homegrown.

Parking downtown was easy for us to find - at a meter - but we went on a rainy cold Friday. There are also garages available.

{if I had the money, I'd stay at The Grand Bohemian Hotel, which is right outside the Biltmore Estate in that area I mentioned above - the restaurant there is probably one of my top 5 meals EVER. The steak was that good.}

Very nice hotel! :thumbsup2 I read your review.

I stayed at the Hilton Biltmore Park last fall and it is a very nice hotel and is in a quiet area.

If you like BBQ, I highly recommend 12 Bones Smokehouse. I think they are only open for lunch, and you have to wait in a line that goes out the door, but dh and I are still talking about the meal we had there. It was awesome!!

That's good to hear.

I'm going to print the replies with specific recommendations, so I can refer to it later. Thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter