• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Navigator App

Andie272

Mouseketeer
Please help me inside the Navigator App, does it use your data? I usually put my phone in airplane mode when we cruise.

What is the app used for?
Do you suggest it?
Should I let me 13 yr old use it also?

Any and all tips, suggestions and information appreciated.

image.jpg image.jpg No it doesn't use your data it is free it has menus and activities on it.

I do suggest it and anyone who can use a cell/mobile/Ipad can use it.

The wifi is free for the app only. Phone in airplane mode, wifi on. It could be useful for your 13 yo to be able to text you. The app has a texting feature that works on board only (maybe in Castaway cay). Our only issue with it was that you don't get a real notification that you have a text so you have to keep checking. Seemed that it ran the battery down on my Iphone 5 super fast too.

So you need to buy ship wifi.
Nope. Put your phone in airplane mode like you said, and then turn the wifi on. Using the Navigator won't cost you. If you decide you want to something beyond using the Navigator - check Facebook or email or whatever - then you purchase Internet.

As said, you use the DCL Guest WiFi and put your phone in airplane mode. No data is used. You need to download the app before you leave. Then when you get onboard, there will be directions on how to access Navigator onboard. You cannot access the pay per MB data through DCL through the Navigator. That is totally separate. We loved the Navigator on the Magic and used it to chat. We preferred it to the wave phones.

If you are going to use this app, make sure to download it on all of the phones BEFORE getting on the ship.
I was the only one in our group of 6 adults & 4 kids that downloaded it before we arrived...they rest tried to download it on the ship but they couldn't because downloading the app uses up more MB than the amount they give you for free on day 1. And since nobody wanted to pay extra for the MB packages, we couldn't use the app to text each other! (Which was a bummer cuz I did NOT like the Wave phones very much)

While you should download it before you are on the ship, and then just launch it once onboard, you CAN download it while you're still at the dock. At least at PC. It didn't use any paid wifi at all when DH and DS were rushing to download it to their devices and then launch it before sailaway.

That's really weird that that happened to you, ovloubet, unless you started after sailaway?

Ds has a decommissioned android phone. Used for music and games. No SIM. But it can get wifi, so we decided to let DS use it.

DS took his device to Oceaneer's Lab and would use it to let us know it was time for us to pick him up (we still haven't been comfy giving him in/out privileges). MUCH easier than getting the CMs to contact us, especially CMs use the horrid Wave phones. Oh and DS was 10 at the time. So at 13, absolutely. What a great way to keep you apprised of his movements around the ship! He'll be at the young teen club where they can come and go at will, so it's terrific to have the app.

As was said, it's not perfect. Users want to turn on their phones and go into the app and check for messages; while I think it's supposed to buzz when a message comes in, it doesn't always do it and doesn't always show that there's a message until you're in the app.

We LOVE being able to see the times of events. If two fun things are happening at once, is one happening *again*? Can we delay that until later so we can do this other thing now? SO much better than waiting for each day's Navigator to show up.

Bumbershoot - the rest of my group tried to do it at port but we all have AT&T service from the U.S. They didn't want to use the Canada cell towers or the ships so as not to get charged extra fees. Once we arrived in Alaska they could have downloaded it, but by that time everyone forgot about it! Oh well, next time.

We loved the app and texting feature on our Alaskan cruise a few weeks ago. We had already downloaded it and were able to connect to the ships wifi while we were sitting in the terminal. We got the texting feature setup and were ready to go before we boarded.

It is nice to be able to see the menus before you show up at the dining room so you have an idea what you may order. The Navigator part was nice also to find what was going on. I used it the most after the show and before dinner to see what would be good for killing an hour.

Also being able to save favorites and getting reminders was very helpful.

We are not tied to our phones like most people and found the app easy to use and well worth it.

One more tip. Check it before you leave. There was an update we needed and I found that the night before leaving.

I have installed the Disney app to my phone and tablet, going on Alaska cruise soon, question, when you use the Disney app to text someone onboard, what do you need to know in order to send a text to them, their phone number or something else?

From what we recall, you're given a code number and that is what you need to know and give to people.

From what we recall, you're given a code number and that is what you need to know and give to people.

That's correct. If you give your code to your friend/family and they chat with you, then you automatically have their code and can start chatting back.

I will only be connected using the DCL onboard wireless and not the internet, my phone time will not be updated as we change time zones. correct? I understand the DCL Navigator app will alert me to activities as I chose them. Do I need to manually update the time on my phone as we change zones so the dcl app will be using the correct time?

I will only be connected using the DCL onboard wireless and not the internet, my phone time will not be updated as we change time zones. correct? Yes unless you manually update it, or use it in port where it will update.

I understand the DCL Navigator app will alert me to activities as I chose them. You need to search for them, it didn't alert us.

Do I need to manually update the time on my phone as we change zones so the dcl app will be using the correct time? See answer 1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter