Na'vi River Journey - EPIC Disappointment

LoveRafiki

Mouseketeer
We were at AK on this past Sunday (11/18), it was about 9:30 and we didn't have Fast Pass for Mt Everest until 11a. We decided to go check out Pandora. The posted stand-by wait time was 80 minutes. It was now about 9:40a and we figured - okay, 80 minute wait gets us to about 11:15, plenty of time to get back over to Everest. 70 minutes in the line and they announce that the line is taking longer than normal... well, at this point we were 70 minutes into it... not getting out.
The cast members were letting 60-80 FP holders through for every 4-8 stand-by people. It was crazy.
Anyway, it took us over 120 minutes to get onto the ride.
I had reserved FP for later in the day for Flight of Passage knowing that would be my first choice and probably harder to get... I didn't read everything about either ride because I wanted an element of surprise.
Now mind you, I did not have high expectations for this ride.... But Wow. I know we were all grumpy from waiting WAY longer than we ever wait for anything and it probably colored our experience.
My daughters (14, 17) both thought it was a total waste of time.
There was no "story" line. No intro. It says on the AK map that you go looking for a shaman, but there is nothing on the ride that indicates this. The line queue itself was incredibly dull as well. Could have had screens with story line (think Kilimanjaro Safari) and background indicating why you will go through the rivers looking for the shaman - or giving intros to the creatures you will see.... they could have done with a life size animatronic animal. Ellen's Energy adventure had better animals than this new ride. Okay, yes the colors were pretty and the little jellyfish-like things are cool. The actual Na'vi shaman was neat, but overall nothing spectacular from our perspective.
I will NOT wait for this ride longer than 10-15 minutes ever.
I've seen 4 and 5 stars for it on Yelp/Trip-Advisor and do NOT get it. We will try it again at some point when the hype dies down...

Sorry to hear that. Definitely didn't help that you waited so long for the ride. When I went on it after rope drop FOP, it was pretty much a walk-on and even then I thought the ride was alright.

Each time I have rode on it, we had a FP (thankfully). I would not want to have a wait for this ride. When we were there in August, we simply considered it a very short break from the heat.

I agree with the above. I did ride it 3 times in a row without waiting during the super bowl this year, on a very rainy Orlando evening. The last ride they just let me get on without going back through the que. i could have gone a few more times but opted out. I think I am good for life with this ride.

Last edited:
When you walk right on it's just a short, pretty boat ride with some interesting things to see. I've never seen anyone recommend waiting more than an hour for it.

It’s a decent ride located in an insanely popular area which causes the huge lines. Maybe those not in the know think it’s equivalent to FOP? We enjoy the ride with a FP each time we go, but would never ever wait more than 10-15 mins to ride it. Every time I ride it I’m just left wishing it was longer. I frequently hear other people in our boat say “that’s it?”.

Your complaints are common ones, so you are not alone.

I've only used FP+ for this attraction after reading comments here on the boards.

I compare it to the boat ride at Epcot in Mexico, Gran Fiesta Tour. When people ask me if they should wait for NRJ; I'd ask if they'd wait that long for GFT.

Personally, I love this attraction! There is so much detail, I notice something different each time. But I would not wait more than 30 minutes to ride it.

Yeah pretty much old news here. It’s a disappointment and I always consider what those people that I see waiting in line will feel when they emerge from the 110 minute standby line.

The movie was on a few days ago. I tried to watch it but it did not hold my interest. Interesting though if you can recognize plants, etc. from the movie.

Yeah pretty much old news here. It’s a disappointment and I always consider what those people that I see waiting in line will feel when they emerge from the 110 minute standby line.

Im pretty sure ANYONE in the standby line as no idea what they are waiting for, or they wouldn't be there. Its not even a hard fast pass to get day of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter