"Naturally" GF counter service items?

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by sb682, Feb 8, 2013.

1. sb682

sb682 DIS Veteran

OK, I have one last question about GF and DW. I emailed Special Diets and got the PDF dated January 2013 containing the GF alternatives, so that's covered. I don't like GF bread very much or GF baked goods, so I don't really need to request them. I was wondering if you guys can recommend some items at CS restaurants that are gluten-free all on their own and don't require dealing with the manager. I'm not worried about cross-contamination, as don't have celiac or a gluten allergy; I just feel funky if I have more than a bite or two of something with it. I know many of the items at BOG don't have gluten in them normally, are there any other things I can try? What are your favorites?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. clanmcculloch

clanmcculloch DIS Veteran

Sunshine Seasons is a great place to go. I believe that everything in the station with the chicken, salmon and pork chops is gluten free (I have to ask for a chef because we've got other allergies so I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that at least if you leave off sauces that it's all gluten free).

In Mexico, if you order the tacos on soft corn shells are gluten free. Since you're not concerned with cross contamination, you can even have the hard ones (they're not gluten free because of cross contamination in the fryer). We were able to have an order of rice along with the tacos. There are probably some other things there that have no added gluten but may just be cross contamination risks meaning they'd be fine for you. In fact, I bet there are several things there that don't have gluten ingredients but are not gluten free only because of cross contamination risk. I just don't know what they are.

Turkey legs are gluten free.

The sushi in packages at CS locations is made using sushi rice that is made with grain based vinegar. Typically this is distilled which would mean it's safe, but I'm a very non-trusting person who doesn't have confidence that no grains were added back in for flavour since they don't say anything about brand. Obviously you need to avoid anything with artificial crab or tempura, but you could probably have some of the other stuff. Obviously the soy sauce that comes in the package contains wheat so if you want the gluten free soy sauce then you'll need to ask for it.

At Flame Tree BBQ the chicken and ribs (I think without sauce) are gluten free. The fries are probably fried in the same frier as other stuff but they don't have gluten in them other than that cross contamination risk. The beans I believe are gluten free as is the cole slaw.

At Cosmic Ray's the chicken and ribs (I think without sauce; ribs only available after 4pm) are gluten free. Same deal on the fries. I don't know about the other sides.

That's all I've got. We do watch for cross contamination so there are probably things available that are unsafe only due to cross contamination that I'm just not aware of.

4. Random Ninja

Random Ninja DIS Veteran

The only things that I can think of as being gluten free without needing a manager are the chicken meals at Sunshine Seasons and Cosmic Rays. The taco salad at Pecos Bill's is really good when they sub the flour shell for corn chips.

5. dawnball

dawnball <font color=red>bouncie bouncie...<br><font color=

Soft serve ice cream sundaes
    Dole Whip
    Mickey bars/fruit juice bars/chocolate covered bananas
    glazed nuts/popcorn/cut fruit/veg. Note that the ranch dressing that comes with the carrot and celery sticks as dip isn't gluten free.
    Bunless burgers/dogs
    Chicken at Flame tree
    At Sunshine seasons many of the prepacked salads are gluten free, and the fresh ones usually you just have to leave off the cracker/bread. At the grill station, it's pretty much all gluten free. Their soup is good too.
    Nachos/tacos/empanadas at La Cantina
    At Landscape of Flavor (AoA), the tandoori is all gluten free (Except the naan/mongolian beef)

6. rdevine10

rdevine10 All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura

thank you for asking this question. I emailed as well and I specifically asked this question and I got the PDF with the replacement options. I dont really want the replacement options, just want to know what is safe as is on the menu!

I look forward to more responses!