National Standard Car vs. Full size car?

leebee

DIS Veteran
I have a res. for a std. car with National, which they list as a Monte Carlo (I have NO IDEA what size this vehicle actually is). What's the difference between a standard size and a full size? They both list 2 or 4 door, same number of passengers and same number of suitcases. Anyone know?

Also, IMO, we are approaching this change in Emerald Aisle the wrong way. If we are really annoyed by this, we should be renting from someone else, not going to a larger, more expensive car at National. Isn't that what they are hoping to accomplish by no longer including larger or special vehicles on EA? Of course, I'm still renting with them also, best deal in-terminal for my dates, with codes, etc:-)

Any idea what size a PT Cruiser is considered to be? The EA used to be chock-full of them!

Originally posted by leebee
I have a res. for a std. car with National, which they list as a Monte Carlo (I have NO IDEA what size this vehicle actually is). What's the difference between a standard size and a full size? They both list 2 or 4 door, same number of passengers and same number of suitcases. Anyone know?

Also, IMO, we are approaching this change in Emerald Aisle the wrong way. If we are really annoyed by this, we should be renting from someone else, not going to a larger, more expensive car at National. Isn't that what they are hoping to accomplish by no longer including larger or special vehicles on EA? Of course, I'm still renting with them also, best deal in-terminal for my dates, with codes, etc:-)

Any idea what size a PT Cruiser is considered to be? The EA used to be chock-full of them!

Standard is a full size with two doors, full size has 4 doors.

Standard Cars usually refer to mid or full-size 2-door cars. At Alamo & Avis (who typically rent GM vehicles) that's usually a Monte Carlo (kind of like a 2-door Impala). At Hertz it's usually a Ford Mustang. Other cars like Chrysler Sebrings may be rented in this category as well. I'd avoid Standard cars unless only one or two people will usually be riding in the rental car ...

I think you should only be annoyed about the EA change if you pay the $50 annual fee for the card. If you have a free one (as I do), then you really don't lose anything by having the card. You have to decide if you want to take a gamble and book EA or book the size you need and use Emerald Reserve (still a time saver). My guess is too many people have the free card now and they came up with a different way to reward their frequent customers.

I think they classify the PT Cruisers as full size (why I don't know).

When I called EC to ask specifically what they do with the PT Cruisers and what they consider them, they said they are a specialty car and will always be on the EA...but that was before the change. Now they may go from the EA to the Executive aisle.

Time will tell.

Originally posted by scratchboat
Standard Cars usually refer to mid or full-size 2-door cars. At Alamo & Avis (who typically rent GM vehicles) that's usually a Monte Carlo (kind of like a 2-door Impala). At Hertz it's usually a Ford Mustang. Other cars like Chrysler Sebrings may be rented in this category as well. I'd avoid Standard cars unless only one or two people will usually be riding in the rental car ...

Standard cars are never intermediates. Intermediates are classified as Intermediate two or four door.

Actually, my reservation lists the vehicle as "Standard 2/4 door, automatic, a/c". Is it unreasonable to ask for a 4 door car, given what the reservation says?

Originally posted by leebee
Actually, my reservation lists the vehicle as "Standard 2/4 door, automatic, a/c". Is it unreasonable to ask for a 4 door car, given what the reservation says?

If the price is the same it should not be an issue as they are parked with the full size cars and you select your own car, but, ask an attendant at the garage first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter